Digital VHS Recorder Player Question !!!

Has anyone had experience with a D-VHS recorder player. I am looking
specifically at the JVC HM-DH4000 device. I would be using this as the
playback device for VHS tapes that I want to transfer to my computer. I am
not familiar with the D-VHS format. How expensive are the tapes and is it
better or worse than a DVD recorder for recording from my satelite dish. For
playing back my old VHS tapes, it has the JVC Digipure Technology which has
Time Base Corrector, 3-Dimensional Digital Circuit with Frame Memory, Digital
YNR/CNR, and Precise Digital 3-D Y/C Separation. I was looking at just
purchasing just a standard S-VHS Recorder for playback, but to get a standard
unit with some onboard filtering, I was going to pay as much as I would spend
for the D-VHS unit.
I am inputing into an Avermedia M-150 TV Tuner card and capturing into Movie
Maker to begin with. I tried using just a cheap Toshiba (new) VHS/DVD combo
unit, but its SVideo output did not carry the VHS signal. I had to use the
component output and send it through a Radio Shack Analog to Digital
Converter that changed it to SVideo for input into the M-150 card. The
captured video was ok in places, but in some places the video had distortion
that was not in the orginal tapes.
I have been given several suggestions that may resolve my problems.
1- Improve the quality of the analog signal. (S-VHS player and filters)
2- Input through a digital camcorder with pass through capability into the
firewire port.
3- Get a better capture card.
4- Get better capture and editing software.
I am thinking of starting with a better player. What are your opinions and
which other steps would you take?
3 answers Last reply
More about digital recorder player question

    Big Mac,
    This is the fellow to ask;
    'Graham Hughes' (http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/Index.htm)
    He's been around long enough to answer all your questions. (grin)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Thanks for responding Treeman, maybe Graham will chime in. If not, I will ask
    him directly. Am interested in anyone's opinion or experience as I am brand
    new to this. Thanks again.

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Big Mac,
    > This is the fellow to ask;
    > 'Graham Hughes' (http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/Index.htm)
    > He's been around long enough to answer all your questions. (grin)
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    Hey Big Mac!
    Just tuned in to this group, so this will be a late response
    to your last message. I'm no techie by a long shot, but was saddened
    by your loss and DO have the identical 825GM machine, so I'll put in
    my two cents for what it's worth. I'm going to go 'stream of
    consciousness' here, so please bear with me. Don't know what your
    mindset is about your valuable tapes; my first non-tech thoughts
    were: Have you duplicated them, either by yourself or professionally?
    Haven't looked, but I would guess that a VHS machine that physically
    copies one tape to a second blank would not be a very expensive
    proposition these days. Wouldn't think that having it done
    professionally would be that extravegant either, although you might
    want to do this one tape at a time just to be safe. On the slightly
    more technical side my first thought was that you may or may not want
    to ultimately create an artistically-done DVD for family and loved
    ones, but as a relative newcomer to this sort of endeavor (and I'm
    right with you on that score) my immediate focus would be on copying
    your tapes to your machine any and all ways possible, just to quickly
    have something to work with. Once you've done this I'm sure the
    helpful and knowledgeable people who've already responded to your
    messages could be of great help. Finally, the tech (low) advice. The
    things you were trying to do sounded so complicated to me that at the
    risk of sounding stupid I'm going to tell you what I did to copy tapes
    on the off-chance any part of it is of use. I have my cable service
    connected directly to the M150 tuner. I unplugged the coax cable from
    the tuner and connected another directly from the coax output on my
    cheapie VHS machine to the same cable input on the tuner. To record
    the tape to the computer I went into Media Center and hit the
    appropriate buttons (probably 'My TV' followed by 'Live TV') just as
    if I wanted to watch TV on my system. The appropriate channel for
    getting the output from the VCR was selected (on the keyboard) by
    making sure Num Lock was on and hitting 03 (in my case) on the numeric
    keypad. At this point Media Center is ready to go and you should be
    seeing whatever typical noise you might see from your VCR when nothing
    is playing. You should now be able to put a tape in your player and
    start and view it normally. (Please don't be over eager and do any of
    these things with your important tapes! Experiment like crazy for
    days with tapes of bad movies or whatever.) To record the tape onto
    the computer simply follow the Media Center instructions for making a
    manual recording. To the best of my knowledge this just means to hit
    the record button on your screen anytime you want to start recording.
    You can do this before you even insert the tape into your player or do
    it at any point while the tape is already playing. As a very simple
    and very "Manual" technique you'll also have to hit 'stop' when you
    get to the end of your tape. (A little bit of effort, but a simple
    no-mess no-fuss low-cost starting point.) My results had excellent
    quality for replaying on the computer. I probably can't be of any
    help beyond this; haven't tried recording these files to DVD yet.
    Also, you're probably going to want to record at the highest quality
    level (recording quality can be set under 'Settings' in Media Center),
    and this causes two problems. One, you're going to use an awful lot
    of hard drive space (takes me about 1.5 GB to record a half-hour
    television program) so make sure you have the room. Second problem is
    that one can only get so much recording time on a DVD, so if you have
    two-hour VHS tapes recorded onto the computer the transfer to DVD will
    probably be tricky at best. I'll have to refer you to the experts on
    that one. You can set the recording quality slightly lower if you'd
    like to make a computer recording that will fit on one DVD. This
    would allow you to make an archive of your tapes where you'd have the
    simplicity of one DVD for each one of your VHSs, but you'd probably
    want separate highest-quality computer recordings for your final
    products. (It's a little strange for those of us who've been around a
    while that with this technology you can't just set the recording
    time/speed when you make a DVD; you have to anticipate what you're
    going to need when you make the recording to be recorded!) Hope some
    of this has been useful; good luck with your project.
    Bob

Video Windows XP