KVM Switches and Wireless Devices

I use a Belkin 2 port KVM switch with audio to control two machines. When I
try to use a wireless MS Intelimouse and keyboard, they do not seem to work.
When using these wireless devices, the mouse is very slow, jerky, and
difficult to click when / where I want to. The keyboard seems to work better.

If I use a standard wired mouse / keyboard, the KVM switch works great.

In contacting Belkin, they are telling me that KVMs in general do not work
well with wireless devices. The recommend using standard connections.

Does anyone know of either a work around so that I can use my wireless
devices (preferred), or another brand / type of KVM switch that works with
them? Any information would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.

You are in the wrong Newsgroup. This group is for Wireless Network.

You should try the General Hardware Group.

However I had the same story trying to use Belkin's KVM with Microsoft
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse 2.

It did not work with Belkin. I switched to another brand (actually cheaper
then Belkin) and it is working a OK.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"D_Igel" <D_Igel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I use a Belkin 2 port KVM switch with audio to control two machines. When
> try to use a wireless MS Intelimouse and keyboard, they do not seem to
work.
> When using these wireless devices, the mouse is very slow, jerky, and
> difficult to click when / where I want to. The keyboard seems to work
better.

> If I use a standard wired mouse / keyboard, the KVM switch works great.
>
> In contacting Belkin, they are telling me that KVMs in general do not work
> well with wireless devices. The recommend using standard connections.
>
> Does anyone know of either a work around so that I can use my wireless
> devices (preferred), or another brand / type of KVM switch that works with
> them? Any information would be greatly appreciate.
>
> Thanks.

The solution is simple.

When trying to use a wireless keyboard and mouse with a KVM Switch you need to pick one with USB Device sharing. You ask why? I will tell you.

Generally, manufacturers of KVM Switches use USB chips for keyboard and mouse that are designed as HID (Human Interface Devices) such as keyboard and mouse.

With a wireless keyboard and mouse, you have one receiver which works on your full version USB ports on your computer just fine but wont work with USB HID Ports.

So if you get a USB KVM Switch that have device sharing USB Port (which manufacturers designed so you can share say a printer with the computers connected to the KVM Switch). Then you can plug your wireless keyboard and mouse receiver into that port and that will fool the kvm switch because it knows there is a keyboard and mouse connected ( and your computers will know that as well) and bam problem solved.

Go to KVMs.com for more solutions.

Support Team
KVMs.com