Personal Doamin Name Question

Fernis

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

I am currently using XP pro. I have a static IP address and would like to
host a web site. I have a registered domain name. Since I have a static IP
can this domain name now point to my static IP address? How do I set this up
in XP pro? Any pointers or links to resources will be appreciated.

1. Make sure your ISP permits you to host a website.
2. There is nothing further for you to configure on your XP box. The static
IP address is sufficient.
3. Get your domain name/IP addressed registered with a DNS service.
For example: http://www.easydns.com/dnsmanage.php3.
You only need DNS service.
When you learn how to configure your DNS settings, add an A record for your
IP address. Call it for example www.<my domain>.<domain type>

Good luck.

"Fernis" wrote:

> I am currently using XP pro. I have a static IP address and would like to
> host a web site. I have a registered domain name. Since I have a static IP
> can this domain name now point to my static IP address? How do I set this up
> in XP pro? Any pointers or links to resources will be appreciated.

I managed to do this with a Dynamic IP address. All the info you'll need is
here:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/main.html

"Fernis" wrote:

> I am currently using XP pro. I have a static IP address and would like to
> host a web site. I have a registered domain name. Since I have a static IP
> can this domain name now point to my static IP address? How do I set this up
> in XP pro? Any pointers or links to resources will be appreciated.

Fernis

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

Thank you very much for the advice guys. It's much appreciated.