SP2 Wireless Issues

It seems that many people have had wireless problems once the SP2 had been
installed.

This is possible for a number of reasons.

The General User must come to realize that a major system reconfiguration
has taken place. Requiring the need for new drivers, new hardware (as the
users present hardware may now be incompatible), new antivirus software, new
firewall, etc. Despite any one of these possibilities being the cause of
your problem the general user must be familiar with the configurations and
settings that need to be addressed due to the installation of the Service
Pack!

In many cases the update to Windows XP Service Pack 2 is Problem Free! Many
situations just come down to the End User being cablable of determining the
needs of their Hardware and or Software components due to the complex update.

It is always possible to remove SP2 until you have compatible hardware,
software, or are soon to become completely informed about the several issues
that may result from the installation of the Service Pack.

Despite what most people would like to believe, the Personal Computer is a
complex piece of equipment. If you cannot have a professional maintain your
system then you must be content with the slow progress that is therefore
inevitable in any such situation as this.

Be patient and continue to learn!

Common Sense wrote:
> It seems that many people have had wireless problems once the SP2 had
> been installed.
>
> This is possible for a number of reasons.
>
> The General User must come to realize that a major system
> reconfiguration has taken place. Requiring the need for new drivers,
> new hardware (as the users present hardware may now be incompatible),
> new antivirus software, new firewall, etc. Despite any one of these
> possibilities being the cause of your problem the general user must
> be familiar with the configurations and settings that need to be
> addressed due to the installation of the Service Pack!
>
> In many cases the update to Windows XP Service Pack 2 is Problem
> Free! Many situations just come down to the End User being cablable
> of determining the needs of their Hardware and or Software components
> due to the complex update.
>
> It is always possible to remove SP2 until you have compatible
> hardware, software, or are soon to become completely informed about
> the several issues that may result from the installation of the
> Service Pack.
>
> Despite what most people would like to believe, the Personal Computer
> is a complex piece of equipment. If you cannot have a professional
> maintain your system then you must be content with the slow progress
> that is therefore inevitable in any such situation as this.
>
> Be patient and continue to learn!

This is almost felonious bull****, but more than misdemeaner bull****.

There is *absolutely* no excuse for networking problems of any kind with
SP2. There is absolutely no excuse for Microsoft's left and right hands
not communicating before SP2 was released. There is no possible excuse
for Microsoft's not knowing of the potential problems with SP2
networking. There is no possible justification for an expectation users
should be prepared to have problems. None.

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:eaf#clOpEHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> This is almost felonious bull****, but more than misdemeaner bull****.
>
> There is *absolutely* no excuse for networking problems of any kind with
> SP2. There is absolutely no excuse for Microsoft's left and right hands
> not communicating before SP2 was released. There is no possible excuse
> for Microsoft's not knowing of the potential problems with SP2
> networking. There is no possible justification for an expectation users
> should be prepared to have problems. None.

But very, very often "Microsoft's left and right hands not communicating"
is just *not* the case.
Many device drivers are not from MS, as well as various scumware like "wireless utilities", "protocols" etc.
There was a long beta program to allow the vendors and users to test with SP2.
Everybody has been warned that before major system updates they should make backup,
and SP2 is quite a big update. It's a "proper diligence" thing.

Pavel A. wrote:

>> This is almost felonious bull****, but more than misdemeaner
>> bull****.
>>
>> There is *absolutely* no excuse for networking problems of any kind
>> with SP2. There is absolutely no excuse for Microsoft's left and
>> right hands not communicating before SP2 was released. There is no
>> possible excuse for Microsoft's not knowing of the potential
>> problems with SP2 networking. There is no possible justification
>> for an expectation users should be prepared to have problems. None.
>
> But very, very often "Microsoft's left and right hands not
> communicating"
> is just *not* the case.
> Many device drivers are not from MS, as well as various scumware like
> "wireless utilities", "protocols" etc. There was a long beta program
> to allow the vendors and users to test with SP2.
> Everybody has been warned that before major system updates they
> should make backup,
> and SP2 is quite a big update. It's a "proper diligence" thing.

Drivers are routinely *not* the problem. SP2 and its intollerably
arcane security interactions *are* the problem. Of course there is the
occasional driver problem which was with the device in SP1. Reading
this NG reveals that most of these problems are SP2 problems.

> Pavel A. wrote:
> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> This is almost felonious bull****, but more than misdemeaner
> >> bull****.
> >>
> >> There is *absolutely* no excuse for networking problems of any kind
> >> with SP2. There is absolutely no excuse for Microsoft's left and
> >> right hands not communicating before SP2 was released. There is no
> >> possible excuse for Microsoft's not knowing of the potential
> >> problems with SP2 networking. There is no possible justification
> >> for an expectation users should be prepared to have problems. None.
> >
> > But very, very often "Microsoft's left and right hands not
> > communicating"
> > is just *not* the case.
> > Many device drivers are not from MS, as well as various scumware like
> > "wireless utilities", "protocols" etc. There was a long beta program
> > to allow the vendors and users to test with SP2.
> > Everybody has been warned that before major system updates they
> > should make backup,
> > and SP2 is quite a big update. It's a "proper diligence" thing.
>
> Drivers are routinely *not* the problem. SP2 and its intollerably
> arcane security interactions *are* the problem. Of course there is the
> occasional driver problem which was with the device in SP1. Reading
> this NG reveals that most of these problems are SP2 problems.

Personal computers may be quite a complicated item still but they're not
*sold* as being so - they're sold as being so user friendly that a monkey
could use one. That's the image your pc vendor (and your OS vendor, let's
face it) would like to present to you. When I purchased my first pc in 96 it
was "broken" (wrong driver for hardware installed for the specs thus didn't
do what it was purported to do) right from the start - and I set out on a
quest to fix it, and it turned out my attempts to fix it were more
successful than the alleged support staff from the vendor. This told me that
I had a natural interest in fixing broken OS's / drivers / whatnot.
However - most people might have not been blamed for getting aleetle bit
shirty at having been sold a prtially non functioning machine for a grand
that the staff couldn't fix !
If, for example, I bought a new microwave oven or a new video recorder and
it had continual problems either software or hardware I would be asking for
a refund - as would most people. It amazes me what we feel we have to put up
with with regards to software issues on our allegedly user friendly pcs...it
seems there's a whole new precedent for putting up with cack when you own a
*pc*. :)

It is difficult for the avergage end user to differentiate between a wrongly
installed component and a lacking OS when they are faced with a machine that
won't do what it has been promised to do - yet pcs are touted as being so
easy to use that an idiot could do it with one hand behind their back.

Rachael

I have to agree with Quaoar. After a SP2 upgrade, a working IBM system with
a Cisco wireless card no longer works as it did. Not your basic fly-by-nite
vendors. Now, I have to use Cisco's wireless config utility, which is much
less functional that WZA or frequently "repair" my connection. I have spent
hours trying to debug the problem - and now am just waiting for magic updates
to fix it - someday. Why should I have to!

"Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <none@badrats.co.uk> wrote in message news:41593ebb$0$20254$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>- yet pcs are touted as being so
> easy to use that an idiot could do it with one hand behind their back.

Then, do you always believe to ads and believe in human - er, pardon, in customer rights?

I also have to agree with Quaoar -

I have now seen problems appear on at least three separate types of wirelss
systems with SP2. The current one that is affecting me is where the signal
is reported as excellent, and there is a connection - even an IP address -
but not IP traffic. Restarting the system (switching of thecard) will
restore it instantly (128 bit wep) but later it will break again and nothing
will restore it. One cannot even "repair" the connection without switching
the wireless of.

We were wondering if the problem, which seems to be with IP rather than UDP
is with the SP2 statefull firewall keeping the connection open when there is
a short period of interference but then not accepting any further packets
because they do not match the sequencing of previous ones.

In any case it is very serious and it is amazing that Microsoft have nothing
yet on the problems.