minidv to computer alternatives

Are there any devices to allow me to transfer my MiniDV tapes to my computer
for eventual transfer to DVD? My Sony MiniDV camcorder's firewire
connection does not appear to work (three different WinXP computers with
firewire ports don't recognize it). I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new
camcorder for the sole reason of wanting to transfer video to my computer.
Thanks for any assistance.
Robert

Are you using the same cable? Maybe the cable is bad.. Which camera is it?

--

Dave Jones
Independent Video Productions

<hobbsrob@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Are there any devices to allow me to transfer my MiniDV tapes to my
computer
> for eventual transfer to DVD? My Sony MiniDV camcorder's firewire
> connection does not appear to work (three different WinXP computers with
> firewire ports don't recognize it). I'm trying to avoid having to buy a
new
> camcorder for the sole reason of wanting to transfer video to my
computer.
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Robert

I've tried at least three different firewire cables with my new Dell with
WinXP (with factory installed audio/firewire PCI card) and two HP (with
firewire jack in the front) computers with WinXP at local electronic stores,
and none will recognize the camcorder, which is a Sony DCR-TRV10 (purchased
in late 1999). Two of the cables are Belkin. The firewire connection
worked about a year and a half ago on an older Dell P200 Win98 SE computer
with an OrangeLink PCI card using the same camcorder and one of the three
firewire cables. I pulled the old OrangeLink card and installed it in the
new Dell computer (alongside another PCI card containing a firewire port)
and later, on a Win2000 computer, and neither recognized the camcorder.
Short of sending the camcorder to Sony, I have to assume that the
camcorder's firewire port is shot. Unfortunately I don't have other
firewire devices to test on the two computers that I have access to.

I'm assuming that I can't use the video or s-video ports on the camcorder to
do the same thing. There is no USB port on the camcorder.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Robert

In article <vFIGc.10618$yy1.9451@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
hobbsrob@yahoo.com writes
>I've tried at least three different firewire cables with my new Dell with
>WinXP (with factory installed audio/firewire PCI card) and two HP (with
>firewire jack in the front) computers with WinXP at local electronic stores,
>and none will recognize the camcorder, which is a Sony DCR-TRV10 (purchased
>in late 1999). Two of the cables are Belkin. The firewire connection
>worked about a year and a half ago on an older Dell P200 Win98 SE computer
>with an OrangeLink PCI card using the same camcorder and one of the three
>firewire cables. I pulled the old OrangeLink card and installed it in the
>new Dell computer (alongside another PCI card containing a firewire port)
>and later, on a Win2000 computer, and neither recognized the camcorder.
>Short of sending the camcorder to Sony, I have to assume that the
>camcorder's firewire port is shot. Unfortunately I don't have other
>firewire devices to test on the two computers that I have access to.
>
>I'm assuming that I can't use the video or s-video ports on the camcorder to
>do the same thing. There is no USB port on the camcorder.
>
>Thanks for any advice you may have!

All you can do is buy or borrow another minidv camcorder. You can get
minidv tape decks, but they are way more expensive than a low-end minidv
camcorder.

The cheapest dv camcorder you can get will do the job, provided it's got
firewire output.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:50:19 GMT, <hobbsrob@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've tried at least three different firewire cables with my new Dell with
>WinXP (with factory installed audio/firewire PCI card) and two HP (with
>firewire jack in the front) computers with WinXP at local electronic stores,
>and none will recognize the camcorder, which is a Sony DCR-TRV10 (purchased
>in late 1999). Two of the cables are Belkin. The firewire connection
>worked about a year and a half ago on an older Dell P200 Win98 SE computer
>with an OrangeLink PCI card using the same camcorder and one of the three
>firewire cables. I pulled the old OrangeLink card and installed it in the
>new Dell computer (alongside another PCI card containing a firewire port)
>and later, on a Win2000 computer, and neither recognized the camcorder.
>Short of sending the camcorder to Sony, I have to assume that the
>camcorder's firewire port is shot. Unfortunately I don't have other
>firewire devices to test on the two computers that I have access to.

That makes sense.

>I'm assuming that I can't use the video or s-video ports on the camcorder to
>do the same thing. There is no USB port on the camcorder.

You can capture analog video if you have an appropriate device, but
you'll lose the perfect digital capture that way, as well as deck
control.

The simplest solution is borrowing another MiniDV camcorder to do
the captures with. USB is no help, even if it had a port no MiniDV
camcorder that I know of transfers full DV data by anything other than
firewire.