Creating dvds

Hi,

I would like to take all our old analog videos as well as the digital
video I have shot with our new Cannon digital camcorder and put
everything onto dvd discs.

Our computer is pretty old and I don't even had a dvd reader on it. I
noticed they sell some dvd players at the store that can record as
well as play dvds. The cheapest one I saw was about $250. Is this a
workable solution for what I am attempting to do? I am guessing that
any editing features will be difficult to use and lack the user
interface available on a computer.

If I decide to upgrade our computer, what should I look for in a new
computer in order to be able to do this project? I'm not really
looking to do anything fancy. I just want to get all our video onto
dvds so we can watch them on our dvd player.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I assume the camcorder has firewire available and you can pass through video
from a VHS. Computers are cheap, you can get a good one for under $500,
will need plenty of HD space, video will run about 13 gigs an hour. DVD
burning software should come with the DVD writer. If you want to edit the
video, then there's a slew of programs you can get from $100-500 dollars.
Depending on how fancy you want to be.

You can get away probably with about a $6-800 investment.. Course if this
is just a one time deal, you could have someone like me do it for you.

--

Dave Jones
Independent Video Productions

"njsteve" <szeik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to take all our old analog videos as well as the digital
> video I have shot with our new Cannon digital camcorder and put
> everything onto dvd discs.
>
> Our computer is pretty old and I don't even had a dvd reader on it. I
> noticed they sell some dvd players at the store that can record as
> well as play dvds. The cheapest one I saw was about $250. Is this a
> workable solution for what I am attempting to do? I am guessing that
> any editing features will be difficult to use and lack the user
> interface available on a computer.
>
> If I decide to upgrade our computer, what should I look for in a new
> computer in order to be able to do this project? I'm not really
> looking to do anything fancy. I just want to get all our video onto
> dvds so we can watch them on our dvd player.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Mr_Ed

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

I'm doing the same thing but ran into a problem with storage capacity. It
takes 2 digital tapes to store program information from one VHS cassette.
Then it takes two DVDs to store the information from one digital tape. My
delima here is tht it will take 4 DVDs for each VHS cassette. Any advice?
There must be some way to compress the data but my present software doesn't
offer any.
"njsteve" <szeik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to take all our old analog videos as well as the digital
> video I have shot with our new Cannon digital camcorder and put
> everything onto dvd discs.
>
> Our computer is pretty old and I don't even had a dvd reader on it. I
> noticed they sell some dvd players at the store that can record as
> well as play dvds. The cheapest one I saw was about $250. Is this a
> workable solution for what I am attempting to do? I am guessing that
> any editing features will be difficult to use and lack the user
> interface available on a computer.
>
> If I decide to upgrade our computer, what should I look for in a new
> computer in order to be able to do this project? I'm not really
> looking to do anything fancy. I just want to get all our video onto
> dvds so we can watch them on our dvd player.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I don't get how your able to save a ½ hour of DV .avi footage to 1 DVD. That
should be about 6.5 gb's. You must be saving as compressed .avi or MPeg2
already?

If you have edited the footage and are done with it just save as MPeg2 at a
bit-rate to allow you to get the quality versus amount of time you want on
each DVD. From these files you can later create
DVD's just by having these files on you hard drive and then authoring your
Video DVD.

Just a note that there are lots of DVD players that will play unauthored
MPeg2 files saved on DVD R's or RW's.

For more information, check out www.videohelp.com They have links to tools
(software) and forums and information on DVD players as to what they will
play.
UB