Cannot Uninstall Video Screensaver

This has been my couple of weeks for having problems with Microsoft products.
This time it's the Microsoft Video Screensaver. I cannot uninstall it. Every
time I try to, it returns the following error: "A network error occurred
while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\video
screensaver.msi". I do not even have a Windows\Installer directory on my
machine, and I don't know what network error it could be referring to. I have
broadband network access to the internet, which is working fine (or I
wouldn't be posting this ;-)

Any thoughts how I might get rid of this thing?

Bill
--
Bill F
Dont believe everything you think.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just checked my system and I have a \windows\installer folder with many
subfolders full of all the stuff I've downloaded and installed. So, my guess
is your lack of the \installer folder is the problem. Try reinstalling the
Video Screensaver program, verify the creation of the \installer folder and
then try uninstalling again.

"Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This has been my couple of weeks for having problems with Microsoft
> products.
> This time it's the Microsoft Video Screensaver. I cannot uninstall it.
> Every
> time I try to, it returns the following error: "A network error occurred
> while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\video
> screensaver.msi". I do not even have a Windows\Installer directory on my
> machine, and I don't know what network error it could be referring to. I
> have
> broadband network access to the internet, which is working fine (or I
> wouldn't be posting this ;-)
>
> Any thoughts how I might get rid of this thing?
>
> Bill
> --
> Bill F
> Dont believe everything you think.

Jerry,

Thanks for the quick response. I did try reinstalling it, but no folder was
created, and I still can't uninstall it. I'll probably try to find out where
all the files are stored, delete them, clean up my registry, and go from
there. :: sigh ::

I'm still mystified by the "network error" ...

--

"Jerry" wrote:

> I just checked my system and I have a \windows\installer folder with many
> subfolders full of all the stuff I've downloaded and installed. So, my guess
> is your lack of the \installer folder is the problem. Try reinstalling the
> Video Screensaver program, verify the creation of the \installer folder and
> then try uninstalling again.
>
> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This has been my couple of weeks for having problems with Microsoft
> > products.
> > This time it's the Microsoft Video Screensaver. I cannot uninstall it.
> > Every
> > time I try to, it returns the following error: "A network error occurred
> > while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\video
> > screensaver.msi". I do not even have a Windows\Installer directory on my
> > machine, and I don't know what network error it could be referring to. I
> > have
> > broadband network access to the internet, which is working fine (or I
> > wouldn't be posting this ;-)
> >
> > Any thoughts how I might get rid of this thing?
> >
> > Bill
> > --
> > Bill F
> > Dont believe everything you think.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The 'network error' issue is probably a subset of your not having an
\installer folder.

> Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I did try reinstalling it, but no folder
> was
> created, and I still can't uninstall it. I'll probably try to find out
> where
> all the files are stored, delete them, clean up my registry, and go from
> there. :: sigh ::
>
> I'm still mystified by the "network error" ...
>
> --
> Bill F
> Dont believe everything you think.
>

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> I just checked my system and I have a \windows\installer folder with many
>> subfolders full of all the stuff I've downloaded and installed. So, my
>> guess
>> is your lack of the \installer folder is the problem. Try reinstalling
>> the
>> Video Screensaver program, verify the creation of the \installer folder
>> and
>> then try uninstalling again.
>>
>> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This has been my couple of weeks for having problems with Microsoft
>> > products.
>> > This time it's the Microsoft Video Screensaver. I cannot uninstall it.
>> > Every
>> > time I try to, it returns the following error: "A network error
>> > occurred
>> > while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\video
>> > screensaver.msi". I do not even have a Windows\Installer directory on
>> > my
>> > machine, and I don't know what network error it could be referring to.
>> > have
>> > broadband network access to the internet, which is working fine (or I
>> > wouldn't be posting this ;-)
>> >
>> > Any thoughts how I might get rid of this thing?
>> >
>> > Bill
>> > --
>> > Bill F
>> > Dont believe everything you think.

Jerry,

With your clues, I solved the problem. The issue of not seeming to have an
Installer folder was caused by having the Folder View Option "Hide protected
operating system files". As soon as I deselected that, I could see the
Installer folder. However, I could find nothing in that folder related to
Video Screensaver, so I downloaded the installer (msi) into the Installer
folder, then I was able to successfully uninstall it using the Add/Remove
cdev.

Thanks for all your help help.

Bill
--

"Jerry" wrote:

> The 'network error' issue is probably a subset of your not having an
> \installer folder.
>
> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jerry,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response. I did try reinstalling it, but no folder
> > was
> > created, and I still can't uninstall it. I'll probably try to find out
> > where
> > all the files are stored, delete them, clean up my registry, and go from
> > there. :: sigh ::
> >
> > I'm still mystified by the "network error" ...
> >
> > --
> > Bill F
> > Dont believe everything you think.
> >

> > "Jerry" wrote:
> >
> >> I just checked my system and I have a \windows\installer folder with many
> >> subfolders full of all the stuff I've downloaded and installed. So, my
> >> guess
> >> is your lack of the \installer folder is the problem. Try reinstalling
> >> the
> >> Video Screensaver program, verify the creation of the \installer folder
> >> and
> >> then try uninstalling again.
> >>
> >> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS