USB Connection Problem (Fuji S3000)

I've had an S3000 for about a year that I use on rare occasions (just don't
take that many pictures). I've never had a problem with it until now.

Right before Christmas I got it out and found that it had been put into its
case with camera turned on (and power save off). So the batteries had
obviously been run to zero. I installed new batteries, reset the time/date
and a couple of other trivial items and took some pictures without a hitch.

But when I connected the camera to my computer nothing happened. The
computer acted as if there were no USB devices connected and my camera did
not go into USB mode as it normally does when turned on while connected to a
USB port.

I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed new drivers, put in
brand new batteries, checked everything that I could find to check, etc.
without help. I am now convinced that it is either a camera problem or a
cable problem as I have connected the camera to two other computers (both
running XP), one with the correct Fuji drivers installed and one without the
Fuji drivers installed. In neither case would the camera go into USB mode or
did the other computers have any awareness of a USB connection having been
made.

At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which doesn't
appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
anything else to try before I start spending money.

Thanks.

dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)

is there some sort of "mode' or "port" setting that needs to be turned
on from within the camera menu (or more likely buried in a third level
sub menu) to enable the camera's "connect to computer" ability?

"Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote:
>I've had an S3000 for about a year that I use on rare occasions (just don't
>take that many pictures). I've never had a problem with it until now.
>
>Right before Christmas I got it out and found that it had been put into its
>case with camera turned on (and power save off). So the batteries had
>obviously been run to zero. I installed new batteries, reset the time/date
>and a couple of other trivial items and took some pictures without a hitch.
>
>But when I connected the camera to my computer nothing happened. The
>computer acted as if there were no USB devices connected and my camera did
>not go into USB mode as it normally does when turned on while connected to a
>USB port.
>
>I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed new drivers, put in
>brand new batteries, checked everything that I could find to check, etc.
>without help. I am now convinced that it is either a camera problem or a
>cable problem as I have connected the camera to two other computers (both
>running XP), one with the correct Fuji drivers installed and one without the
>Fuji drivers installed. In neither case would the camera go into USB mode or
>did the other computers have any awareness of a USB connection having been
>made.
>
>At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
>process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which doesn't
>appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
>anything else to try before I start spending money.
>
>Thanks.
>
>dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:12:16 GMT, "Dave Lee"
<DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote:

>At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
>process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which doesn't
>appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
>anything else to try before I start spending money.
>
>Thanks.
>
>dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)

I would just buy a card reader, it's cheaper and faster.

Re: Attached

It has a "USB Mode" with two options - one for just downloading pictures and
one which allows some kind of webcam operation (never tried it). But neither
mode seems to be "alive" and the camera "USB mode" is always in one of those
two states. From all my experience (and the documentation) powering on the
camera while connected to a USB port is all that is required (till now
anyway).

Thanks.

dave

"Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote in message
> I've had an S3000 for about a year that I use on rare occasions (just
> don't
> take that many pictures). I've never had a problem with it until now.
>
> Right before Christmas I got it out and found that it had been put into
> its
> case with camera turned on (and power save off). So the batteries had
> obviously been run to zero. I installed new batteries, reset the
> time/date
> and a couple of other trivial items and took some pictures without a
> hitch.
>
> But when I connected the camera to my computer nothing happened. The
> computer acted as if there were no USB devices connected and my camera did
> not go into USB mode as it normally does when turned on while connected to
> USB port.
>
> I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed new drivers, put
> in
> brand new batteries, checked everything that I could find to check, etc.
> without help. I am now convinced that it is either a camera problem or a
> cable problem as I have connected the camera to two other computers (both
> running XP), one with the correct Fuji drivers installed and one without
> the
> Fuji drivers installed. In neither case would the camera go into USB mode
> or
> did the other computers have any awareness of a USB connection having been
> made.
>
> At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
> process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which
> doesn't
> appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
> anything else to try before I start spending money.
>
> Thanks.
>
> dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)

Read Page 97-99 of the camera manual or this PDF.
http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportProductContent.jsp?dbid=687359&prodcat=628338&sscucatid=664271

It Says:
Set the "USB MODE" setting in the "SET-UP" menu to DSC (?P.77, 78).

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

lefty

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:58:25 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

Huh... read a manual?? Is that pile of papers that came with the
camera relevant?? Doooh!!

>"Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> I've had an S3000 for about a year that I use on rare occasions (just
>> don't
>> take that many pictures). I've never had a problem with it until now.
>>
>> Right before Christmas I got it out and found that it had been put into
>> its
>> case with camera turned on (and power save off). So the batteries had
>> obviously been run to zero. I installed new batteries, reset the
>> time/date
>> and a couple of other trivial items and took some pictures without a
>> hitch.
>>
>> But when I connected the camera to my computer nothing happened. The
>> computer acted as if there were no USB devices connected and my camera did
>> not go into USB mode as it normally does when turned on while connected to
>> USB port.
>>
>> I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed new drivers, put
>> in
>> brand new batteries, checked everything that I could find to check, etc.
>> without help. I am now convinced that it is either a camera problem or a
>> cable problem as I have connected the camera to two other computers (both
>> running XP), one with the correct Fuji drivers installed and one without
>> the
>> Fuji drivers installed. In neither case would the camera go into USB mode
>> or
>> did the other computers have any awareness of a USB connection having been
>> made.
>>
>> At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
>> process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which
>> doesn't
>> appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
>> anything else to try before I start spending money.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)
>>

>Read Page 97-99 of the camera manual or this PDF.
>http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportProductContent.jsp?dbid=687359&prodcat=628338&sscucatid=664271
>
>It Says:
>Set the "USB MODE" setting in the "SET-UP" menu to DSC (?P.77, 78).
>
>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

This camera uses an XD card and I am running off a laptop. I'm not familiar
with card reader's. But just did a quick Google search and you are correct -
that is probably better than my proposed Easter Egg approach.

Thanks.

dave

<tekfull@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:12:16 GMT, "Dave Lee"
> <DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote:
>

> >At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
> >process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which
doesn't
> >appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
> >anything else to try before I start spending money.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)
> >

> I would just buy a card reader, it's cheaper and faster.

Re: Attached

Thanks - I'm familiar with that but, unfortunately, proper setting of this
set-up option isn't a solution to this particular problem.

dave

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > I've had an S3000 for about a year that I use on rare occasions (just
> > don't
> > take that many pictures). I've never had a problem with it until now.
> >
> > Right before Christmas I got it out and found that it had been put into
> > its
> > case with camera turned on (and power save off). So the batteries had
> > obviously been run to zero. I installed new batteries, reset the
> > time/date
> > and a couple of other trivial items and took some pictures without a
> > hitch.
> >
> > But when I connected the camera to my computer nothing happened. The
> > computer acted as if there were no USB devices connected and my camera
did
> > not go into USB mode as it normally does when turned on while connected
> > USB port.
> >
> > I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed new drivers,
put
> > in
> > brand new batteries, checked everything that I could find to check, etc.
> > without help. I am now convinced that it is either a camera problem or a
> > cable problem as I have connected the camera to two other computers
(both
> > running XP), one with the correct Fuji drivers installed and one without
> > the
> > Fuji drivers installed. In neither case would the camera go into USB
mode
> > or
> > did the other computers have any awareness of a USB connection having
been
> > made.
> >
> > At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
> > process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which
> > doesn't
> > appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
> > anything else to try before I start spending money.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)
> >

> Read Page 97-99 of the camera manual or this PDF.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportProductContent.jsp?dbid=687359&prodcat=628338&sscucatid=664271

> It Says:
> Set the "USB MODE" setting in the "SET-UP" menu to DSC (?P.77, 78).
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

The manual also says to install the usb driver on the computer and set the
camera to DSC not PC control.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"lefty" <wpm302@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:58:25 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Huh... read a manual?? Is that pile of papers that came with the
> camera relevant?? Doooh!!
> >

> >"Dave Lee" <DaveLeeNC@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> I've had an S3000 for about a year that I use on rare occasions (just
> >> don't
> >> take that many pictures). I've never had a problem with it until now.
> >>
> >> Right before Christmas I got it out and found that it had been put into
> >> its
> >> case with camera turned on (and power save off). So the batteries had
> >> obviously been run to zero. I installed new batteries, reset the
> >> time/date
> >> and a couple of other trivial items and took some pictures without a
> >> hitch.
> >>
> >> But when I connected the camera to my computer nothing happened. The
> >> computer acted as if there were no USB devices connected and my camera
did
> >> not go into USB mode as it normally does when turned on while connected
> >> USB port.
> >>
> >> I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed new drivers,
put
> >> in
> >> brand new batteries, checked everything that I could find to check,
etc.
> >> without help. I am now convinced that it is either a camera problem or
> >> cable problem as I have connected the camera to two other computers
(both
> >> running XP), one with the correct Fuji drivers installed and one
without
> >> the
> >> Fuji drivers installed. In neither case would the camera go into USB
mode
> >> or
> >> did the other computers have any awareness of a USB connection having
been
> >> made.
> >>
> >> At this point I don't know what to do but to start an "Easter egging
> >> process" - probably first by replacing the camera's USB cable (which
> >> doesn't
> >> appear to be a common one as far as I can tell). Can anyone think of
> >> anything else to try before I start spending money.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> dave (new guy here on alt.*.dcameras)
> >>

> >Read Page 97-99 of the camera manual or this PDF.
>
>http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportProductContent.jsp
?dbid=687359&prodcat=628338&sscucatid=664271

> >It Says:
> >Set the "USB MODE" setting in the "SET-UP" menu to DSC (?P.77, 78).
> >
> >--
> >CSM1
> >http://www.carlmcmillan.com

RE: > The manual also says to install the usb driver on the computer and set
the
> camera to DSC not PC control.
>
> --
> CSM1

Have tried both (they are both USB modes so both should be "USB aware" -
there is no other mode except PC and DSC). Neither seems to be "alive" in
this case (which is the problem).