Pleae forgive the newby editing question...

So I have just purchased a digital camcorder...and I want to edit the
footage on my PC. Can I load the mini DV tape directly to my PC to
edit in Microsoft Movie Maker?

I know the MS Movie Maker is pretty basic, but hey it is free...

I am looking at the Pinnicle software, like Studio Movie Box DV 9, but
am unsure of what software/hardware I need. If I am working with a
digital signal to begin with,do I need a analog converter? My guess
is no.

Ultimalely I want to burn DVD's on my computer. I am not against
spending $200- from some editing software, but cannot afford to shell
out 700-1500 for the Avid

Stephen

you can bring the DV directly into the PC and work on it there if

(a) you have a Firewire port or the camera supports USB 2.0
(b) the PC is fast enough (2GHz?) and the drive is big and fast enough
(anywhere from 80-500Gig)
(c) Win Movie Maker is a good simple start. The other $100 packages aren't
a lot better, Sony Screenblast being about the best.
(d) If you get heavy into it you can add another hard drive,
(e) upgrade the software to Sony Vegas Video ($220 if you know somone who is
a teacher that can buy it for you, though this may not be exactly kosher),
or Premiere, or similar (AcademicSuperstore.com).
(f) a fast DVD writer

At first you'll be disappointed by the "look" of your video. A lot depends
on light when you're shooting. It's VERY hard for the consumer cams to get
anything that not shredding and tearing up in even moderately low light
(this is my experience, but may not be everyone's). Sony consumer cams have
the best steady shot. Panasonic 3 CCD consumer cams are said to have the
best video picture quality.

A lot of how what you do looks is up to you--everything about video is a
design problem, first to last. If you've got some design skills the stuff
will look better than if you don't. Read a couple books about film-making,
maybe.

"comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> you can bring the DV directly into the PC and work on it there if
>
> (a) you have a Firewire port or the camera supports USB 2.0

I'm not aware of any consumer camcorders that will transfer full-quality
video via USB. Firewire/1394 is the standard for transferring miniDV.

> (b) the PC is fast enough (2GHz?)

He doesn't need 2 GHz. I was editing just fine (in Studio 7) with a 500 MHz
machine.

and the drive is big and fast enough
> (anywhere from 80-500Gig)

miniDV uses approximately 13 GHz per hour. If he's just experimenting, a 40
G drive is plenty. 500 G? That would hold 38 hours of video. Even if you
allow 100% for render space, that's still more than 16 hours of video.

> (c) Win Movie Maker is a good simple start. The other $100 packages
aren't
> a lot better, Sony Screenblast being about the best.

Studio is, arguably, the most complete and powerful $100 package out there.
The problem, though, is that it's very finnicky about which systems it will
run -- when it runs, it runs very, very well. When it doesn't, it doesn't
at all.

> (d) If you get heavy into it you can add another hard drive,

Agreed.

> (e) upgrade the software to Sony Vegas Video ($220 if you know somone who
is
> a teacher that can buy it for you, though this may not be exactly kosher),
> or Premiere, or similar (AcademicSuperstore.com).

Agreed. I favor Premiere over Vegas for a variety of reasons, though, not
the least of which is third-party support.

> (f) a fast DVD writer

For casual use, it doesn't have to be a fast burner. A 2x is fine for an
amateur who is experimenting.

> At first you'll be disappointed by the "look" of your video. A lot
depends
> on light when you're shooting. It's VERY hard for the consumer cams to get
> anything that not shredding and tearing up in even moderately low light
> (this is my experience, but may not be everyone's). Sony consumer cams
have
> the best steady shot.

Sony consumer/prosumer cams (like other manufacturers' machines) have two
kinds of image stabilization: OIS and EIS. OIS is "optical image
stabilization" mechanically alters the optical characteristics of the lens
to allow for shake and provides more natural looking pans. It is, however,
more expensive. EIS is "electronic image stabilization" and relies on using
a subset of the image sensor as a "window" which is moved around the sensor
to compensate for shake.

> Panasonic 3 CCD consumer cams are said to have the
> best video picture quality.

Said by whom? The Sony VX2100, which is a prosumer 3CCD machine, is
universally regarded as having the best image (and far and away best low
light performance) of the prosumer camcorders, with the Canon GL2 a close
second.

> A lot of how what you do looks is up to you--everything about video is a
> design problem, first to last. If you've got some design skills the stuff
> will look better than if you don't.

I don't understand this at all. If, by "design problem" you mean
"composition" then you are right to the extent that composition is an
important element of video. Equally important, however, is light and
shadow, rhythm, and perspective, just to name a few.

scebld@hotmail.com wrote:

> So I have just purchased a digital camcorder...and I want to edit the
> footage on my PC. Can I load the mini DV tape directly to my PC to
> edit in Microsoft Movie Maker?
>
> I know the MS Movie Maker is pretty basic, but hey it is free...
>
> I am looking at the Pinnicle software, like Studio Movie Box DV 9, but
> am unsure of what software/hardware I need. If I am working with a
> digital signal to begin with,do I need a analog converter? My guess
> is no.
>
> Ultimalely I want to burn DVD's on my computer. I am not against
> spending $200- from some editing software, but cannot afford to shell
> out 700-1500 for the Avid
>
> Stephen

try virtualdub... free
--

if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
google.com

> I'm not aware of any consumer camcorders that will transfer full-quality
> video via USB. Firewire/1394 is the standard for transferring miniDV.
I use a sony TRV355 and video transferred via USB 2 or IEE1394 ports looks
the same.

> He doesn't need 2 GHz. I was editing just fine (in Studio 7) with a 500
MHz
> machine.
Although he doesn't need a 2 G machine it certainly is recommended by most
editing packages that something beyond 1.4G is used with 256 M RAM minimum.
Ulead MF2 / 3 VS7/8 all recommend 1.4G machines.

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote

> > Panasonic 3 CCD consumer cams are said to have the
> > best video picture quality.
>
> Said by whom? The Sony VX2100, which is a prosumer 3CCD machine, is
> universally regarded as having the best image (and far and away best low
> light performance) of the prosumer camcorders, with the Canon GL2 a close
> second.

"Universally?"

I beg to differ. So does pretty much everyone I know.

I much prefer my Panasonic DVX100a for a whole litany of reasons. Better
lens, 24p option, wider angle, macro capability, etc., etc.

No question the Sony has lower light capability -- according to the book,
down to 1 lux. But honestly, how often are you going to be shooting at such
low light? The Panny does just fine, thanks.

Sony makes a fine product. I was absolutely sold on the PD-170 and was
intent on buying it. Then, when the time came to make the buying decision,
I made a last minute change and opted for the Pana. And I'm glad I did.

Randy

<scebld@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So I have just purchased a digital camcorder...and I want to edit the
> footage on my PC. Can I load the mini DV tape directly to my PC to
> edit in Microsoft Movie Maker?
>
> I know the MS Movie Maker is pretty basic, but hey it is free...

Very basic. You might be better off spending $100 to get Sony's Screenblast
Movie Studio, which is essentially a stripped-down version of Vegas Video.
Once you learn it, you can move up to Vegas if you find that you need it.
(Depending on what you intend to do, you might never feel the need.) I know
of no other NLE that's as user-friendly and easy to learn.

> I am looking at the Pinnicle software, like Studio Movie Box DV 9, but
> am unsure of what software/hardware I need. If I am working with a
> digital signal to begin with,do I need a analog converter? My guess
> is no.

You only need an analogue converter if you intend on inputting analogue
video (like something on a VHS tape) into your computer. In that case, you
may be able to use your digital camcorder as a transcoder.

> Ultimalely I want to burn DVD's on my computer. I am not against
> spending $200- from some editing software, but cannot afford to shell
> out 700-1500 for the Avid

Avid, even with all its annoying bugginess, is still the best. But it's not
for everyone. I have Avid, Premiere and Vegas, and I do 99% of my work on
Avid. Once in a blue moon, I'll open Vegas to do something. I hardly ever
use Premiere. But if I were to recommend one over the others to a newbie
like you, I'd point you to Vegas. It's the easiest to learn. By far.

But while you're budgeting your money, don't forget DVD authoring software.
There are cheaper packages available, but I think the best is Adobe Encore.
However, if you were to go with Vegas, you might consider their bundled
version of Vegas+DVD, which includes a pretty nice DVD authoring
environment. I haven't used it, but those who do seem to like it a lot.

Randy

"RandB" <NotMyAddress@All.com> wrote in message news:<kEKHc.8895$sD4.413@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> > > Panasonic 3 CCD consumer cams are said to have the
> > > best video picture quality.
> >
> > Said by whom? The Sony VX2100, which is a prosumer 3CCD machine, is
> > universally regarded as having the best image (and far and away best low
> > light performance) of the prosumer camcorders, with the Canon GL2 a close
> > second.
>

> "Universally?"
>
> I beg to differ. So does pretty much everyone I know.
>
> I much prefer my Panasonic DVX100a for a whole litany of reasons. Better
> lens, 24p option, wider angle, macro capability, etc., etc.

The Panasonic DVX100a isn't a consumer camera. The poster to whom I
replied specified "Panasonic 3 CCD consumer cams." These are the
PV-GS400, PV-GS200 and PV-GS120, none of which are remotely
comparable, in terms of video quality, to the VX2100 (or PD-170)or the
GL2. The DVX100a is a prosumer camera, but one which costs three
times as much as a VX2100.

> No question the Sony has lower light capability -- according to the book,
> down to 1 lux. But honestly, how often are you going to be shooting at such
> low light? The Panny does just fine, thanks.

I shoot in low light all the time -- I do travelogues and shoot at
night. Wedding and event videographers shoot in low light. The BBC,
when it uses VX2000s for ENG, shoot in low light.

> Sony makes a fine product. I was absolutely sold on the PD-170 and was
> intent on buying it. Then, when the time came to make the buying decision,
> I made a last minute change and opted for the Pana. And I'm glad I did.
>
> Randy

can you tell me some trustworthy US site that sell this camera. I find
sites that sell it for $1250-1450 and others that sell it for $1950-2150. I
assume the lowballs are tramp sites that i should avoid.

"Tom Mix" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<_vudneT_reoA523dRVn_iw@comcast.com>...
> can you tell me some trustworthy US site that sell this camera. I find
> sites that sell it for $1250-1450 and others that sell it for $1950-2150. I
> assume the lowballs are tramp sites that i should avoid.

B&H is the most reliable and honest mail-order retailer in the US.
You can find them at:

www.bhphotovideo.com

> "Tom Mix" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > can you tell me some trustworthy US site that sell this camera. I find
> > sites that sell it for $1250-1450 and others that sell it for
$1950-2150. I
> > assume the lowballs are tramp sites that i should avoid.
>
> B&H is the most reliable and honest mail-order retailer in the US.
> You can find them at:
>
> www.bhphotovideo.com

Where the 2100 is available for $2349 or thereabouts. Alas, out of my price
range.

"Tom Mix" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<xcGdnXsGTIdlU2ndRVn-uA@comcast.com>...
> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> > "Tom Mix" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > can you tell me some trustworthy US site that sell this camera. I find
> > > sites that sell it for $1250-1450 and others that sell it for
> $1950-2150. I
> > > assume the lowballs are tramp sites that i should avoid.
> >
> > B&H is the most reliable and honest mail-order retailer in the US.
> > You can find them at:
> >
> > www.bhphotovideo.com
> >

> Where the 2100 is available for $2349 or thereabouts. Alas, out of my price
> range.

The problem is, the sites that lowball it are scam outfits. Check
them at:

www.resellerratings.com

B&H (and Adorama, another good camera retailer) will have prices
perhaps 5% higher than the lowest _legitimate_ prices you might find,
but you can be confident that you'll actually get what you paid for.