sony handycam video to Movie Maker 2

I need to know to import my videos from my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD301. I just
got a laptop with movie maker on it and would love to get to use it so i can
make a dvd of my vaction. How am i able to get an MPEG file on MM2? Need help
thanks.

MovieMaker doesn't really like MPEG files. Sometimes it will import them
just fine, sometimes it won't.

A better program for editing MPEG files: PowerDirector
(www.gocyberlink.com) or WinDVD Creator (www.intervideo.com).
--
Have a look at PapaJohn's page on specific Sony issues.
http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2-Camcorders-Sony.html

Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"kortni87" <kortni87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to know to import my videos from my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD301. I
>just
> got a laptop with movie maker on it and would love to get to use it so i
> can
> make a dvd of my vaction. How am i able to get an MPEG file on MM2? Need
> help
> thanks.

i used windvd creator and the video froze during playback in certain parts
and wasw choppy on a dvd and computer.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> MovieMaker doesn't really like MPEG files. Sometimes it will import them
> just fine, sometimes it won't.
>
> A better program for editing MPEG files: PowerDirector
> (www.gocyberlink.com) or WinDVD Creator (www.intervideo.com).
> --
> Have a look at PapaJohn's page on specific Sony issues.
> http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2-Camcorders-Sony.html
>
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "kortni87" <kortni87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to know to import my videos from my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD301. I
> >just
> > got a laptop with movie maker on it and would love to get to use it so i
> > can
> > make a dvd of my vaction. How am i able to get an MPEG file on MM2? Need
> > help
> > thanks.

Also when i import the video into movie maker i get audio but no picture. Is
that fixable?

"kortni87" wrote:

> i used windvd creator and the video froze during playback in certain parts
> and wasw choppy on a dvd and computer.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > MovieMaker doesn't really like MPEG files. Sometimes it will import them
> > just fine, sometimes it won't.
> >
> > A better program for editing MPEG files: PowerDirector
> > (www.gocyberlink.com) or WinDVD Creator (www.intervideo.com).
> > --
> > Have a look at PapaJohn's page on specific Sony issues.
> > http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2-Camcorders-Sony.html
> >
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >

> > "kortni87" <kortni87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I need to know to import my videos from my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD301. I
> > >just
> > > got a laptop with movie maker on it and would love to get to use it so i
> > > can
> > > make a dvd of my vaction. How am i able to get an MPEG file on MM2? Need
> > > help
> > > thanks.

you need to convert the mpeg files to avi or wmv.
Check out Stoik,
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgrammes.htm

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Also when i import the video into movie maker i get audio but no picture.
> Is
> that fixable?
>
> "kortni87" wrote:
>
>> i used windvd creator and the video froze during playback in certain
>> parts
>> and wasw choppy on a dvd and computer.
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> > MovieMaker doesn't really like MPEG files. Sometimes it will import
>> > them
>> > just fine, sometimes it won't.
>> >
>> > A better program for editing MPEG files: PowerDirector
>> > (www.gocyberlink.com) or WinDVD Creator (www.intervideo.com).
>> > --
>> > Have a look at PapaJohn's page on specific Sony issues.
>> > http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2-Camcorders-Sony.html
>> >
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Printing & Imaging
>> >

>> > "kortni87" <kortni87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I installed the stoik video converter 2.1 and when i try to convert it to WMV
for LAN (1 Mbps) it says video clips not definded any suggestions?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> you need to convert the mpeg files to avi or wmv.
> Check out Stoik,
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "kortni87" <kortni87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Also when i import the video into movie maker i get audio but no picture.
> > Is
> > that fixable?
> >
> > "kortni87" wrote:
> >
> >> i used windvd creator and the video froze during playback in certain
> >> parts
> >> and wasw choppy on a dvd and computer.

Perhaps google for another mpeg to wmv or avi converter and try that?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

>I installed the stoik video converter 2.1 and when i try to convert it to
>WMV
> for LAN (1 Mbps) it says video clips not definded any suggestions?
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> you need to convert the mpeg files to avi or wmv.
>> Check out Stoik,
>> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "kortni87" <kortni87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Also when i import the video into movie maker i get audio but no
>> > picture.
>> > Is
>> > that fixable?

I got it to work thank you for all your help