Xvid, avi2(opendml) and tmpgenc weirdness

Hello all,
I have an avi file @ 23.976 fps, running time 59 minutes.
Virtualdub gives the frame count as 85448.

I noticed that if I enable avi2(opendml) in tmpgenc
and encode this file, the tmpgenc frame summary in the top
right corner says xx/257257 and the estimated encode time
is 4 hours 30 minues.

However, if I disable avi2-opendml, the frame count summary
in the top right correctly says xx/85448 and the time estimate
is 1 hour 30 minutes.

I've seen this phenomenon with many files encoded with Xvid.

Is tmpgenc getting confused, or is there something about
xvid/opendml?

Thanks,
Dave

davetest <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in message news:<s1joe0h69cks2kqu77qabm1gua6b8b7ndu@4ax.com>...
> Hello all,
> I have an avi file @ 23.976 fps, running time 59 minutes.
> Virtualdub gives the frame count as 85448.
>
> I noticed that if I enable avi2(opendml) in tmpgenc
> and encode this file, the tmpgenc frame summary in the top
> right corner says xx/257257 and the estimated encode time
> is 4 hours 30 minues.
>
> However, if I disable avi2-opendml, the frame count summary
> in the top right correctly says xx/85448 and the time estimate
> is 1 hour 30 minutes.
>
> I've seen this phenomenon with many files encoded with Xvid.
>
> Is tmpgenc getting confused, or is there something about
> xvid/opendml?

I had the problem, and I believe I solved it by installing different
XVid codec. Not 100% sure here, because I did quite a lot of messing
about.

Strange thing is, other apps would get the frame count correct, so
what I used to do was to run AVIExaminer to get the correct frame
count, then input this into tmpgenc (Settings->Source range). A pain
in the butt, but it worked.

I suggest trying another XVid codec.

pstankley@hotmail.com (stankley) wrote in message news:<728c4cea.0407080328.304d0a96@posting.google.com>...
> davetest <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in message news:<s1joe0h69cks2kqu77qabm1gua6b8b7ndu@4ax.com>...
> > Hello all,
> > I have an avi file @ 23.976 fps, running time 59 minutes.
> > Virtualdub gives the frame count as 85448.
> >
> > I noticed that if I enable avi2(opendml) in tmpgenc
> > and encode this file, the tmpgenc frame summary in the top
> > right corner says xx/257257 and the estimated encode time
> > is 4 hours 30 minues.
> >
> > However, if I disable avi2-opendml, the frame count summary
> > in the top right correctly says xx/85448 and the time estimate
> > is 1 hour 30 minutes.
> >
> > I've seen this phenomenon with many files encoded with Xvid.
> >
> > Is tmpgenc getting confused, or is there something about
> > xvid/opendml?
> >

> I had the problem, and I believe I solved it by installing different
> XVid codec. Not 100% sure here, because I did quite a lot of messing
> about.
>
> Strange thing is, other apps would get the frame count correct, so
> what I used to do was to run AVIExaminer to get the correct frame
> count, then input this into tmpgenc (Settings->Source range). A pain
> in the butt, but it worked.
>
> I suggest trying another XVid codec.
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

Thanks for the info, never heard of AVIexaminer, I'll check it out.
DAve

davexnet01@yahoo.com wrote in message news:<14d151e5.0407081256.680390fd@posting.google.com>...
> pstankley@hotmail.com (stankley) wrote in message news:<728c4cea.0407080328.304d0a96@posting.google.com>...
> > davetest <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in message news:<s1joe0h69cks2kqu77qabm1gua6b8b7ndu@4ax.com>...
> > > Hello all,
> > > I have an avi file @ 23.976 fps, running time 59 minutes.
> > > Virtualdub gives the frame count as 85448.
> > >
> > > I noticed that if I enable avi2(opendml) in tmpgenc
> > > and encode this file, the tmpgenc frame summary in the top
> > > right corner says xx/257257 and the estimated encode time
> > > is 4 hours 30 minues.
> > >
> > > However, if I disable avi2-opendml, the frame count summary
> > > in the top right correctly says xx/85448 and the time estimate
> > > is 1 hour 30 minutes.
> > >
> > > I've seen this phenomenon with many files encoded with Xvid.
> > >
> > > Is tmpgenc getting confused, or is there something about
> > > xvid/opendml?
> > >

> > I had the problem, and I believe I solved it by installing different
> > XVid codec. Not 100% sure here, because I did quite a lot of messing
> > about.
> >
> > Strange thing is, other apps would get the frame count correct, so
> > what I used to do was to run AVIExaminer to get the correct frame
> > count, then input this into tmpgenc (Settings->Source range). A pain
> > in the butt, but it worked.
> >
> > I suggest trying another XVid codec.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave
>
> Thanks for the info, never heard of AVIexaminer, I'll check it out.
> DAve

I went back and checked - the application is actually called YAAI - get it here:

http://yaai.sourceforge.net/

Latest posts