Codec Nightmares

Hey Y'all,

I've been looking everywhere I know to and can't find an answer to what
I've managed to cause. I have a collection of different video files
(all AVI format, DiVX4/MPEG-4/XVID video, MP3/MP2 audio, created with
MEncoder for Linux) that I haven't been able to play recently under
Windows (they still play no problem under Linux).

I have been able to hear the audio portion and see a visualization of
that audio, but never the video. I have tried installing codec packages
which would play these files and this doesn't work either. The Windows
Media Player never gave me error messages that were more specific other
than something along the lines of "The codec to play this file couldn't
be found/downloaded."

Now, after uninstalling some of those codec packages and an old defunt
installation of Nero Burning ROM and reinstalling the codecs, WMP9
simply says that an unknown error has occurred, no audio or video
plays, and an orange "!" appears by the file names.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance and sorry to be such a
Windows Newbie!

--TSmith
5 answers Last reply
More about codec nightmares

    The cure for your nightmare is to download the G-Spot codec identifier and
    see what the files are really encoded with!
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "TSmith" <tsmith2007@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey Y'all,
    >
    > I've been looking everywhere I know to and can't find an answer to what
    > I've managed to cause. I have a collection of different video files
    > (all AVI format, DiVX4/MPEG-4/XVID video, MP3/MP2 audio, created with
    > MEncoder for Linux) that I haven't been able to play recently under
    > Windows (they still play no problem under Linux).
    >
    > I have been able to hear the audio portion and see a visualization of
    > that audio, but never the video. I have tried installing codec packages
    > which would play these files and this doesn't work either. The Windows
    > Media Player never gave me error messages that were more specific other
    > than something along the lines of "The codec to play this file couldn't
    > be found/downloaded."
    >
    > Now, after uninstalling some of those codec packages and an old defunt
    > installation of Nero Burning ROM and reinstalling the codecs, WMP9
    > simply says that an unknown error has occurred, no audio or video
    > plays, and an orange "!" appears by the file names.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance and sorry to be such a
    > Windows Newbie!
    >
    > --TSmith

    Thanks Cari,

    Great application, but it sorta did what WMP9 did. I opened the app,
    but hadn't yet opened a file when I got the following message:

    ---
    Warning: DirectShow crashed while GSpot was attempting to obtain
    information about a codec.

    This is usually due to damaged, misconfigured, conflicting, or poorly
    written codec drivers. It is possible, perhaps even likely, that other
    media players will crash when they attempt to play this file as well,
    as most of them will also use DirectShow. GSpot was able to intercept
    the crash, and has attempted to identify the codec or filter involved;
    uninstalling or reinstalling this codec or filter may solve the
    problem.

    The codec was tentatively identified as:

    Unknown audio codec #12
    ---

    I'm going to guess it was sorting through to see what codecs I have
    when DirectShow crashed and that's what happened when I try to play
    anyhting with WMP9. Any more ideas, I'm going to look in the Sound
    control panel to see if I can find anything out of the ordinary.

    Thanks for the help
    --TSmith

    First off, sorry to be such a newbie.

    Ok, I did more digging with what GSpot gave to me and I found a
    reference to trying to register "quarts.dll" by using regsvr32 in a run
    box. It worked, so I tried to play some of the videos. I could see the
    movies but the audio didn't work and WMP9 said that it couldn't find
    the codec. So I figure my problem is partially fixed. GSpot said that
    the audio in these files was usually MP2 played by a codec from
    quartz.dll. I assumed I had a corrupt copy and replaced it with a copy
    I found online, same problem, still no audio.

    --TSmith

    Install VideoInspector : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?vtb

    "TSmith" <tsmith2007@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    1122943642.578556.209100@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > Hey Y'all,
    >
    > I've been looking everywhere I know to and can't find an answer to what
    > I've managed to cause. I have a collection of different video files
    > (all AVI format, DiVX4/MPEG-4/XVID video, MP3/MP2 audio, created with
    > MEncoder for Linux) that I haven't been able to play recently under
    > Windows (they still play no problem under Linux).
    >
    > I have been able to hear the audio portion and see a visualization of
    > that audio, but never the video. I have tried installing codec packages
    > which would play these files and this doesn't work either. The Windows
    > Media Player never gave me error messages that were more specific other
    > than something along the lines of "The codec to play this file couldn't
    > be found/downloaded."
    >
    > Now, after uninstalling some of those codec packages and an old defunt
    > installation of Nero Burning ROM and reinstalling the codecs, WMP9
    > simply says that an unknown error has occurred, no audio or video
    > plays, and an orange "!" appears by the file names.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance and sorry to be such a
    > Windows Newbie!
    >
    > --TSmith

    where do you find the codec? I don't see a "web help button" on my windows
    media player where am I supposed to find it?

    "TSmith" wrote:

    > Hey Y'all,
    >
    > I've been looking everywhere I know to and can't find an answer to what
    > I've managed to cause. I have a collection of different video files
    > (all AVI format, DiVX4/MPEG-4/XVID video, MP3/MP2 audio, created with
    > MEncoder for Linux) that I haven't been able to play recently under
    > Windows (they still play no problem under Linux).
    >
    > I have been able to hear the audio portion and see a visualization of
    > that audio, but never the video. I have tried installing codec packages
    > which would play these files and this doesn't work either. The Windows
    > Media Player never gave me error messages that were more specific other
    > than something along the lines of "The codec to play this file couldn't
    > be found/downloaded."
    >
    > Now, after uninstalling some of those codec packages and an old defunt
    > installation of Nero Burning ROM and reinstalling the codecs, WMP9
    > simply says that an unknown error has occurred, no audio or video
    > plays, and an orange "!" appears by the file names.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance and sorry to be such a
    > Windows Newbie!
    >
    > --TSmith

Video Codec Audio Windows XP