Service Pack 2 Camcorder Problem

Hey, I've been having this problem ever since I bought the camera about a
year ago:
When I connect my camera (Panasonic PV-GS9) to my computer to capture the
video, the computer completely freezes up. It un-freezes when I turn the
camera off, or unplug the firewire cable. I can capture video when I
uninstall Service Pack 2 and capture it with Service Pack 1, so that leads me
to believe there is some kind of conflict with SP2. Any help would be great.
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about service pack camcorder problem

    Dylan,
    For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
    Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
    upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
    while keeping SP2 installed.

    Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    the
    following files
    1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    "Firewirefix," (without quotes)

    _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
    Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

    Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    mode.

    Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    Reboot.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Or use the MS hotfix at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893008
    which should do Treeman's fix automatically.

    I'm collating info on this problem, could you let me know if your cam is PAL
    or NTSC please.

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k9@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > Dylan,
    > For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
    > Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
    > upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
    > while keeping SP2 installed.
    >
    > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    > the
    > following files
    > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
    >
    > _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
    > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
    >
    > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    > mode.
    >
    > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    > Reboot.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    It's NTSC.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Or use the MS hotfix at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893008
    > which should do Treeman's fix automatically.
    >
    > I'm collating info on this problem, could you let me know if your cam is PAL
    > or NTSC please.
    >
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k9@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Dylan,
    > > For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
    > > Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
    > > upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
    > > while keeping SP2 installed.
    > >
    > > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    > > the
    > > following files
    > > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    > > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    > > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    > > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    > > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
    > >
    > > _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
    > > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
    > >
    > > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    > > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    > > mode.
    > >
    > > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    > > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    > > Reboot.
    > > Best,
    > > Treeman
    > >

    > > --
    > > Treeman

    > > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
    > > View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870948901

    I've only had one chap with an ntsc cam that was fixed by this fix, how have
    you got on?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Dylan." <Dylan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It's NTSC.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> Or use the MS hotfix at
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893008
    >> which should do Treeman's fix automatically.
    >>
    >> I'm collating info on this problem, could you let me know if your cam is
    >> PAL
    >> or NTSC please.
    >>
    >> Graham
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k9@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Dylan,
    >> > For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
    >> > Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
    >> > upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
    >> > while keeping SP2 installed.
    >> >
    >> > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    >> > the
    >> > following files
    >> > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    >> > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    >> > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    >> > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    >> > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    >> > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    >> > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
    >> >
    >> > _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
    >> > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
    >> >
    >> > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    >> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    >> > mode.
    >> >
    >> > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    >> > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    >> > Reboot.
    >> > Best,
    >> > Treeman
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Treeman

    >> > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
    >> > View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870948901

    I tried installing the fix, but still no luck. Keep me posted.

Video Cameras Windows XP