Service Pack 2 Camcorder Problem

Hey, I've been having this problem ever since I bought the camera about a
year ago:
When I connect my camera (Panasonic PV-GS9) to my computer to capture the
video, the computer completely freezes up. It un-freezes when I turn the
camera off, or unplug the firewire cable. I can capture video when I
uninstall Service Pack 2 and capture it with Service Pack 1, so that leads me
to believe there is some kind of conflict with SP2. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Dylan,
For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
while keeping SP2 installed.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
the
following files
1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

_Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
Reboot.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Or use the MS hotfix at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893008
which should do Treeman's fix automatically.

I'm collating info on this problem, could you let me know if your cam is PAL
or NTSC please.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k9@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Dylan,
> For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
> Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
> upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
> while keeping SP2 installed.
>
> Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
> the
> following files
> 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
> enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
> Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
>
> _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
> Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
>
> Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
> mode.
>
> Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
> to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
> Reboot.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

It's NTSC.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Or use the MS hotfix at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893008
> which should do Treeman's fix automatically.
>
> I'm collating info on this problem, could you let me know if your cam is PAL
> or NTSC please.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k9@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Dylan,
> > For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
> > Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
> > upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
> > while keeping SP2 installed.
> >
> > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
> > the
> > following files
> > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
> > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
> > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
> > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
> > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
> >
> > _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
> > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
> >
> > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
> > mode.
> >
> > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
> > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
> > Reboot.
> > Best,
> > Treeman
> >

> > --
> > Treeman

> > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
> > View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870948901

I've only had one chap with an ntsc cam that was fixed by this fix, how have
you got on?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Dylan." <Dylan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's NTSC.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Or use the MS hotfix at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893008
>> which should do Treeman's fix automatically.
>>
>> I'm collating info on this problem, could you let me know if your cam is
>> PAL
>> or NTSC please.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Treeman" <Treeman.1t58k9@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Dylan,
>> > For some reason SP2 Firewire drivers are incompatable with certain
>> > Firewire chipsets. If you can get your hands on a XP SP1 CD, or you
>> > upgraded to SP2, this is how to roll back to the SP1 Firewire drivers,
>> > while keeping SP2 installed.
>> >
>> > Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
>> > the
>> > following files
>> > 1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
>> > arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
>> > nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
>> > ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
>> > enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
>> > Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
>> > "Firewirefix," (without quotes)
>> >
>> > _Stop_XP_Sp2_from_re-installing_it's_drivers_again_by:_
>> > Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)
>> >
>> > Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
>> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
>> > mode.
>> >
>> > Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
>> > to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
>> > Reboot.
>> > Best,
>> > Treeman
>> >

>> > --
>> > Treeman

>> > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
>> > View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870948901

I tried installing the fix, but still no luck. Keep me posted.

TRENDING THREADS