Which Digi Cam? The IXUS 40 or the Optio S5i

The main reason for choice is the size of the camera. They are both tiny.
They both offer very similar features, the Optio is 5mp as opposed to the
IXUS at 4mp, but the ixus has 640x480 movie mode at 30fps, where as the
Optio is 320x240 at 15fps. The ixus also has a shutter speed a little slower
than optio, but also has a longer shutter option (15sec as opposed to 4sec,
not that i'd use more than 4sec i think).

It's a tough decision, as they are both similarly priced, they both use SD
memory. I basically want it for having in my pocket when i'm OS, so that i
can take it everywhere, whip it out and snap a pic of something as i see it,
or when i'm catching up with friends over there, to be able to just take it
out and snap a picture of them. I'm sure both will do that just fine, it's
just that knowing myself i'll start using more and more of the features and
as i don't really know much about photography, i'm asking for people's
experience on which one they would choose and why (in laymans terms!)

I've looked on image-resource.com to compare pictures from each camera side
by side and i believe the Optio to be a little bit better in the picture
quality, as the canon seems to have blue around the edges and just doesn't
seem to be as sharp. Specifically the house photo.

What should i be looking out for in the two?

--
Thanks
Andrew

surely someone has an opinion or some experience. I would have thought these
camera's would be very popular based on size and features.

--
Thanks
Andrew

GiJO wrote:
> The main reason for choice is the size of the camera. They are both
> tiny. They both offer very similar features, the Optio is 5mp as
> opposed to the IXUS at 4mp, but the ixus has 640x480 movie mode at
> 30fps, where as the Optio is 320x240 at 15fps. The ixus also has a
> shutter speed a little slower than optio, but also has a longer
> shutter option (15sec as opposed to 4sec, not that i'd use more than
> 4sec i think).
>
> It's a tough decision, as they are both similarly priced, they both
> use SD memory. I basically want it for having in my pocket when i'm
> OS, so that i can take it everywhere, whip it out and snap a pic of
> something as i see it, or when i'm catching up with friends over
> there, to be able to just take it out and snap a picture of them. I'm
> sure both will do that just fine, it's just that knowing myself i'll
> start using more and more of the features and as i don't really know
> much about photography, i'm asking for people's experience on which
> one they would choose and why (in laymans terms!)
>
> I've looked on image-resource.com to compare pictures from each
> camera side by side and i believe the Optio to be a little bit better
> in the picture quality, as the canon seems to have blue around the
> edges and just doesn't seem to be as sharp. Specifically the house
> photo.
>
> What should i be looking out for in the two?

TRENDING THREADS