802.11g router / 1 x 802.11b device / 1 x 802.11g device

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi all,

I am planning to get a linksys WAG54G 802.11g router, I currently have 2
computers. One computer I will connect with a cable (cat5 ethernet) and one
will has an 802.11g wifi card.

So the network will work at 'g' standard...

But I want to connect my iPAQ ppc wirelessly to the network, but to do this
I need to get a SD wifi card - currently only available on the 802.11b
standard.

Therefore, will the whole wireless network slow down and change to the 'b'
standard, i.e. the router to wifi computer connection slow down when I use
my pocket PC?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Yes...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Oli" <oli> wrote in message news:eLdGzGLpEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to get a linksys WAG54G 802.11g router, I currently have 2
> computers. One computer I will connect with a cable (cat5 ethernet) and one
> will has an 802.11g wifi card.
>
> So the network will work at 'g' standard...
>
> But I want to connect my iPAQ ppc wirelessly to the network, but to do this
> I need to get a SD wifi card - currently only available on the 802.11b
> standard.
>
> Therefore, will the whole wireless network slow down and change to the 'b'
> standard, i.e. the router to wifi computer connection slow down when I use
> my pocket PC?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I should add that you need to run the access point/router in a mixed 802.11b/g mode in order for the
PocketPC to be able to access it at all...

--

> Yes...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Oli" <oli> wrote in message news:eLdGzGLpEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am planning to get a linksys WAG54G 802.11g router, I currently have 2
>> computers. One computer I will connect with a cable (cat5 ethernet) and one
>> will has an 802.11g wifi card.
>>
>> So the network will work at 'g' standard...
>>
>> But I want to connect my iPAQ ppc wirelessly to the network, but to do this
>> I need to get a SD wifi card - currently only available on the 802.11b
>> standard.
>>
>> Therefore, will the whole wireless network slow down and change to the 'b'
>> standard, i.e. the router to wifi computer connection slow down when I use
>> my pocket PC?

jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

"Oli" <oli> wrote in message news:eLdGzGLpEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to get a linksys WAG54G 802.11g router, I currently have 2
> computers. One computer I will connect with a cable (cat5 ethernet) and
> one
> will has an 802.11g wifi card.
>
> So the network will work at 'g' standard...
>
> But I want to connect my iPAQ ppc wirelessly to the network, but to do
> this
> I need to get a SD wifi card - currently only available on the 802.11b
> standard.
>
> Therefore, will the whole wireless network slow down and change to the 'b'
> standard, i.e. the router to wifi computer connection slow down when I use
> my pocket PC?

Before you buy the WAG54G you might care to do a Google search on that
product. You will find that it is driving half the world mad with its poor
performance/inoperable firmware.

I struggled with two of these machines (one replacing the other) for nearly
two weeks. I downloaded very firmware update an patch that is available
(and there are plenty!) but it still refused to work properly.

The two main faults were losing the ADSL connection for no apparent reason,
and the steady diminishing of the wireless signal (which happened routinely)

One forum contributor gave the opinion that the problems were heat related -
and I think that is the most likely explanation.

Linksys (American) support staff were invariably polite - and utterly
useless. Once they got past logging your name, telephone number and e-mail
address (which they insisted upon doing at the beginning of every call to
them) they seemed to run out of ideas - their stock response seemed to be
'It must be faulty, return it to the store'

Having now replaced the offending WAG54G with a D-Link G604T I can tell you
that the difference between them is Night and Day.

The D-Link never drops the wireless signal, never loses the ADSL connection,
is fully WPA compatible, works virtually 'out of the box', has a much
superior wireless range to the Linksys, and is everything that I hoped the
Linksys would be, but wasn't.

I've no connection with D-Link other than as a customer - but I wish someone
had told me the above before I wasted time and effort trying to get the
inherently faulty Linksys design to work properly.