WMV Conversion Question

pat

Expert

Hi,

A musician friend was given a concert video someone made of his group and
created a CD. I have no idea of how it got in its present format, but it
plays with Microsoft Media Player with no problems. Here is a summary:

(a) Windows Media File: Extension: (WMV)

(b) One A/V file: 405,372,682 bytes in size

(c) Audio bit rate: 1435kbps, 16 bit, 2 channel, 44kHz

(d) Video bit rate: 739kbps, 24 bit, Stream name: video 2

(e) Video Resolution: 640 x 480

(f) Video Frame rate: 30FPS (not 29.97fps)

(g) Video Length: 62 minutes, 47 seconds

QUESTIONS:

(1) Is the 640x480x24 at 30fps a non standard format?

(2) I am in the process of converting the above to a DVD using TMPGEnc Pro
with a 720x480x24 at 29.97fps MPG file and the WAV file being converted to
48kHz with 29.97 rate. I hope to take the WAV file, created by TMPGEnc and
post process it using Cool Edit Pro. Then, author the Audio and Video into a
DVD.

Is the above an accepted conversion methodology, or have I missed something?

(3) Any other tips?

Rich

"Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A musician friend was given a concert video someone made of his group and
> created a CD. I have no idea of how it got in its present format, but it
> plays with Microsoft Media Player with no problems. Here is a summary:
>
> (a) Windows Media File: Extension: (WMV)
>
> (b) One A/V file: 405,372,682 bytes in size
>
> (c) Audio bit rate: 1435kbps, 16 bit, 2 channel, 44kHz
>
> (d) Video bit rate: 739kbps, 24 bit, Stream name: video 2
>
> (e) Video Resolution: 640 x 480
>
> (f) Video Frame rate: 30FPS (not 29.97fps)
>
> (g) Video Length: 62 minutes, 47 seconds
>

> QUESTIONS:
>
> (1) Is the 640x480x24 at 30fps a non standard format?

No. It is the Microsoft's Windows Media Video format

> (2) I am in the process of converting the above to a DVD using TMPGEnc Pro
> with a 720x480x24 at 29.97fps MPG file and the WAV file being converted to
> 48kHz with 29.97 rate. I hope to take the WAV file, created by TMPGEnc and
> post process it using Cool Edit Pro. Then, author the Audio and Video into
> DVD.

Should work, maybe, if TMPGEnc accepts WMV, some of their encoders do and
some don't. If not you may have to get something else to convert it.

> Is the above an accepted conversion methodology, or have I missed
something?

> (3) Any other tips?

No other tips at this time.

Rich

"Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message

> "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > A musician friend was given a concert video someone made of his group
and
> > created a CD. I have no idea of how it got in its present format, but it
> > plays with Microsoft Media Player with no problems. Here is a summary:
> >
> > (a) Windows Media File: Extension: (WMV)
> >
> > (b) One A/V file: 405,372,682 bytes in size
> >

> > (c) Audio bit rate: 1435kbps, 16 bit, 2 channel, 44kHz
> >
> > (d) Video bit rate: 739kbps, 24 bit, Stream name: video 2

The audio bit rate seems very high, I use 192kbps for TV
and 256 for musicals. Your video bit rate at 739kbps would
be low at 9 bit. 24 bit video? I haven't looked into WMV to
any extent, maybe I should.
/Ken

> > (e) Video Resolution: 640 x 480
> >
> > (f) Video Frame rate: 30FPS (not 29.97fps)
> >
> > (g) Video Length: 62 minutes, 47 seconds
> >

> > QUESTIONS:
> >
> > (1) Is the 640x480x24 at 30fps a non standard format?
>
> No. It is the Microsoft's Windows Media Video format
>
> > (2) I am in the process of converting the above to a DVD using TMPGEnc
Pro
> > with a 720x480x24 at 29.97fps MPG file and the WAV file being converted
> > 48kHz with 29.97 rate. I hope to take the WAV file, created by TMPGEnc
and
> > post process it using Cool Edit Pro. Then, author the Audio and Video
into
> > DVD.
>
> Should work, maybe, if TMPGEnc accepts WMV, some of their encoders do and
> some don't. If not you may have to get something else to convert it.
>

> > Is the above an accepted conversion methodology, or have I missed
> something?
> >
> > (3) Any other tips?
>
> No other tips at this time.
>
> Rich

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:04:25 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > (c) Audio bit rate: 1435kbps, 16 bit, 2 channel, 44kHz
>> >
>> > (d) Video bit rate: 739kbps, 24 bit, Stream name: video 2
>> >

> The audio bit rate seems very high

Looks very much like the PCM bitrate.