Capturing footage on mini DV to my hard drive...

Do I need to purchase Pinnicle 9 or some other editor to get the
footage from the video camera to my hard drive for editing? I have a
firewire plun in on my JVC, but no firewire on my computer.

At curcuit city saw the Pinnicle 9 package with some box with all of
the familiar vcr plugs on the front...you know the yellow, white, and
the red ones...

Do I need this product to get my footage to the computer for editing
and burning...???

Thanks in Advance!!!!!

Stephen in Jackson Hole

No -- all you need is a OHCI compliant firewire card ($30) to be
able to capture the data from the camcorder into your PC
(about 13 gigs / hour). You will need some sort of editor though
to work with the data. There are a number of packages out there
some of which include a firewire card with something like
Pinnacle, or Video Studio (Ulead) etc, but to actually get the
data, you only need the firewire card (and lots of disk space).
Depending on what you want to do with the data after you
edit it opens up a whole new list of possibilities -- write back
to the camera (DV), play on your PC, create a DVD etc.
Check out http://www.videohelp.com/ for many more ideas
on how to spend your $$$ ...

--
Mike "mikey" Fields
http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

"1972 2.0L Pass Bus" <m1711231002@wyoming.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to purchase Pinnicle 9 or some other editor to get the
> footage from the video camera to my hard drive for editing? I have a
> firewire plun in on my JVC, but no firewire on my computer.
>
> At curcuit city saw the Pinnicle 9 package with some box with all of
> the familiar vcr plugs on the front...you know the yellow, white, and
> the red ones...
>
> Do I need this product to get my footage to the computer for editing
> and burning...???
>
> Thanks in Advance!!!!!
>
> Stephen in Jackson Hole

You need a firewire card in your computer. These can be found for as cheap as
$10 on the Internet. Windows XP has Windows Movie Maker built in, so you can
start editing with just the firewire card. But this is a pretty rudimetary
editor, so you will probably want something better. You will also need a
firewire cable, which sometimes comes with the controller card. 6 pin to 4 pin
firewire cable is the correct one for camcorders (maybe you got lucky and got
one with your camcorder.)

The Pinnacle 9 "with all the familiar vcr plugs" isn't something you need or
even want (except for the software editor, which might be decent.) With
Firewire, you can transfer perfect DV video to the computer and transfer it back
to the camcorder when you are done editing, all without losing any quality. Or
you can make a DVD. The capture card you describe is an analog capture card
which is going to deterioriate the picture during the capture process.

"1972 2.0L Pass Bus" <m1711231002@wyoming.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to purchase Pinnicle 9 or some other editor to get the
> footage from the video camera to my hard drive for editing? I have a
> firewire plun in on my JVC, but no firewire on my computer.
>
> At curcuit city saw the Pinnicle 9 package with some box with all of
> the familiar vcr plugs on the front...you know the yellow, white, and
> the red ones...
>
> Do I need this product to get my footage to the computer for editing
> and burning...???
>
> Thanks in Advance!!!!!
>
> Stephen in Jackson Hole

Mr_Ed

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

I can't speak for JVC but my sony handycam came with a program that puts
digital tapes onto the Hard Drive via firewire. As for editing, though, this
program is poor.