Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

editing programs crash when opening mpg

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • DVD
  • Desktops
  • Crash
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 10, 2004 8:06:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,

I have a large (700mb ish) mpeg, which I captured off and old VHS tape
I have. I can watch it fine, but decided I would move with the times
and make it into a DVD. So I got the trial version of Ulead DVD movie
factory, which seemed to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately
whenever I opened the mpeg it would just crash the program and boot me
back to my desktop. No error messages, no XP error reporting.

So I got a trial version of Tmpgenc DVD author, same thing happened,
and with tmpgenc DVD source creator.

So I decided to go and use Pinnacle 9 (which I got free with a
firewire card). Pinnacle opens it, so I dragged all the scenes onto
the storyboard and used the inbuilt DVD writing software in Pinnacle
to write it to DVD.

Unfortunately when I went to play it, it plays to about 3/4 of the way
through then the video stops on one frame and the soundtrack carries
on as normal.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Blair

More about : editing programs crash opening mpg

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 2:35:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Blair" <thedogofrock@aol.com> wrote in message
news:b39bf6f8.0407101506.69e934fb@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a large (700mb ish) mpeg, which I captured off and old VHS tape
> I have. I can watch it fine, but decided I would move with the times
> and make it into a DVD. So I got the trial version of Ulead DVD movie
> factory, which seemed to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately
> whenever I opened the mpeg it would just crash the program and boot me
> back to my desktop. No error messages, no XP error reporting.
>
> So I got a trial version of Tmpgenc DVD author, same thing happened,
> and with tmpgenc DVD source creator.
>

It sounds like the codec these programs are associating with
your MPEG file locks-up and improperly handles the error condition.
This is most likely due to a valid but non-standard call brought on
by your MPEG.

So - 1. Since you made the MPEG, you should be able to describe
it in full technical detail. At least you should know how, with what
hardware and program the capture was made. The settings used would
also be of great help.
- 2. With what do you "watch it fine"? How does that program
describe this MPEG?
/Ken

> So I decided to go and use Pinnacle 9 (which I got free with a
> firewire card). Pinnacle opens it, so I dragged all the scenes onto
> the storyboard and used the inbuilt DVD writing software in Pinnacle
> to write it to DVD.
>
> Unfortunately when I went to play it, it plays to about 3/4 of the way
> through then the video stops on one frame and the soundtrack carries
> on as normal.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Blair
July 11, 2004 12:53:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<40f0b582$0$62135$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>...
> "Blair" <thedogofrock@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:b39bf6f8.0407101506.69e934fb@posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a large (700mb ish) mpeg, which I captured off and old VHS tape
> > I have. I can watch it fine, but decided I would move with the times
> > and make it into a DVD. So I got the trial version of Ulead DVD movie
> > factory, which seemed to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately
> > whenever I opened the mpeg it would just crash the program and boot me
> > back to my desktop. No error messages, no XP error reporting.
> >
> > So I got a trial version of Tmpgenc DVD author, same thing happened,
> > and with tmpgenc DVD source creator.
> >
>
> It sounds like the codec these programs are associating with
> your MPEG file locks-up and improperly handles the error condition.
> This is most likely due to a valid but non-standard call brought on
> by your MPEG.
>
> So - 1. Since you made the MPEG, you should be able to describe
> it in full technical detail. At least you should know how, with what
> hardware and program the capture was made. The settings used would
> also be of great help.
I captured it using a hauppauge WinTV pci card using Pinnacle version
8. Pinnacle remains the only program I can edit it in, but it makes a
mess of creating the DVD, so maybe its some dodgy proprietry codec
that Pinnacle has used?
> - 2. With what do you "watch it fine"? How does that program
> describe this MPEG?
All my players are quite happy to play it. Power DVD 4 says its Video:
Mpeg-2 at around 1.82 Mbps and Audio Mpeg 2.0 @ 224 Kbps.

Thanks for any help

Blair
> /Ken
>
> > So I decided to go and use Pinnacle 9 (which I got free with a
> > firewire card). Pinnacle opens it, so I dragged all the scenes onto
> > the storyboard and used the inbuilt DVD writing software in Pinnacle
> > to write it to DVD.
> >
> > Unfortunately when I went to play it, it plays to about 3/4 of the way
> > through then the video stops on one frame and the soundtrack carries
> > on as normal.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Blair
July 11, 2004 2:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>"Blair" <thedogofrock@aol.com> wrote in message
>news:b39bf6f8.0407101506.69e934fb@posting.google.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a large (700mb ish) mpeg, which I captured off and old VHS tape
>> I have. I can watch it fine, but decided I would move with the times
>> and make it into a DVD. So I got the trial version of Ulead DVD movie
>> factory, which seemed to be just what I was looking for. Unfortunately
>> whenever I opened the mpeg it would just crash the program and boot me
>> back to my desktop. No error messages, no XP error reporting.
>>
>> So I got a trial version of Tmpgenc DVD author, same thing happened,
>> and with tmpgenc DVD source creator.
>>
>
> It sounds like the codec these programs are associating with
>your MPEG file locks-up and improperly handles the error condition.
>This is most likely due to a valid but non-standard call brought on
>by your MPEG.
>
> So - 1. Since you made the MPEG, you should be able to describe
>it in full technical detail. At least you should know how, with what
>hardware and program the capture was made. The settings used would
>also be of great help.
>- 2. With what do you "watch it fine"? How does that program
>describe this MPEG?
>/Ken
>
>> So I decided to go and use Pinnacle 9 (which I got free with a
>> firewire card). Pinnacle opens it, so I dragged all the scenes onto
>> the storyboard and used the inbuilt DVD writing software in Pinnacle
>> to write it to DVD.
>>
>> Unfortunately when I went to play it, it plays to about 3/4 of the way
>> through then the video stops on one frame and the soundtrack carries
>> on as normal.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Blair
>

I have problems with MPEG but starting from AVI files. I have tried
all these programs and they all lock the system up solid sooner or
later when converting to MPEG. I have Win XP SP1, and have even tried
starting with a reformatted hard drive and using Windows Movie Maker
2, Pinnacle 9, and Ulead 8.

Colin.
!