I have a Samsung mini DV hooked up through firewire and I am trying to
capture video from it. When I am in capture mode, it gets to about 10
minutes into the video (I am trying to capture about 15 minutes at a time)
and locks up the computer. Is this due to not having enough memory?

Robert

Does it lock up or stop capturing. You may hit a limitation of your file
system format which is at around the late 9 minutes and/or 18 minutes.
I suspect not memory but check out this page for other options to check.
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcForVideo.htm

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Robert in Texas" <Robert in Texas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:500C4E0F-1F25-49D4-9A59-F982335FF7EE@microsoft.com...
>I have a Samsung mini DV hooked up through firewire and I am trying to
> capture video from it. When I am in capture mode, it gets to about 10
> minutes into the video (I am trying to capture about 15 minutes at a time)
> and locks up the computer. Is this due to not having enough memory?
>
> Robert

Thank you for the quick answer.

It locks up the PC and I have to hit the power button to reboot the machine.
I am capturing to a different hdd than that OS is installed on. I have
256mb of memory. I will check to see if the drive I am writing to is FAT32
or not. But, would that cause it to lock up the PC?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Does it lock up or stop capturing. You may hit a limitation of your file
> system format which is at around the late 9 minutes and/or 18 minutes.
> I suspect not memory but check out this page for other options to check.
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcForVideo.htm
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Robert in Texas" <Robert in Texas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:500C4E0F-1F25-49D4-9A59-F982335FF7EE@microsoft.com...
> >I have a Samsung mini DV hooked up through firewire and I am trying to
> > capture video from it. When I am in capture mode, it gets to about 10
> > minutes into the video (I am trying to capture about 15 minutes at a time)
> > and locks up the computer. Is this due to not having enough memory?
> >
> > Robert

256mb may, but fat32 shouldn't, it should just stop capturing. I'd increase
ram quite a bit.

Graham