ATI Radeon 9000 multiple monitors

I am running a Dell Inspiron 8500, Intel P4 mobile 2.0GHz, 1.0 Gb RAM,
ATI Radeon 9000 Display adapter and am having trouble with the Multiple
monitors on Radeon 9000 feature.

Recently connected my laptop to a projector at a client's location,
something I do every week in a different location, and when I
diconnected the projector and turned my computer back on Windows
started on a black screen. Have to toggle the monitor with "Function +
F8", twice to show any display. Then, when I do get a display, it is a
low resolution diaplay, not the 1280 X800 required with my 15.4"
widescreen LCD laptop monitor.

Goint into control panel, diplay, settings...two monitors appear.
Number one is set as primary, and the selection check marks are
grayed-out so I can't hange the setting. The monitor that is the
primary appears to be a default monitor for a standard sized screen,
not the high resolution laptop widescreen display. Only choices for
resolution are 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768.

For monitor two, I have multiple resolution choices including 1280 X
800, the preferred setting. But, I cannot make monitor number two the
primary.

Have contact Dell about the problem and they had me uninstall the
Radeon driver and reinstall...result was same exact monitor settings
that I'm trying to get rid of, especially since there is only one
monitor hooked to my laptop presently, and that is the laptop
widescreen.

I have recently done a full hard-disk format, reinstalled Windows XP
Pro, all the drivers and am back in the same boat I started in. The
computer is showing two monitor choices in the display settings.

I hardware device manager, four monitors are showing as connected. All
four are the same, exact monitor, just repeats. The monitor is default
monitor with only low resolution choices.

It seems that reloading windows would have corrected this problem.

My question is, how can I find etiher a replacement display adapter for
the ATI Radeon 9000 or a specific driver for my laptop screen?

Thank you.

Gregg

--
GAS77

Since it's a notebook, it has a custom configuration by Dell and you should
only look at Dell's website for the drivers.

www.dell.com
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"GAS77" <GAS77.1tbmup@news.xpbanter.com> wrote in message

> I am running a Dell Inspiron 8500, Intel P4 mobile 2.0GHz, 1.0 Gb RAM,
> ATI Radeon 9000 Display adapter and am having trouble with the Multiple
> monitors on Radeon 9000 feature.
>
> Recently connected my laptop to a projector at a client's location,
> something I do every week in a different location, and when I
> diconnected the projector and turned my computer back on Windows
> started on a black screen. Have to toggle the monitor with "Function +
> F8", twice to show any display. Then, when I do get a display, it is a
> low resolution diaplay, not the 1280 X800 required with my 15.4"
> widescreen LCD laptop monitor.
>
> Goint into control panel, diplay, settings...two monitors appear.
> Number one is set as primary, and the selection check marks are
> grayed-out so I can't hange the setting. The monitor that is the
> primary appears to be a default monitor for a standard sized screen,
> not the high resolution laptop widescreen display. Only choices for
> resolution are 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768.
>
> For monitor two, I have multiple resolution choices including 1280 X
> 800, the preferred setting. But, I cannot make monitor number two the
> primary.
>
> Have contact Dell about the problem and they had me uninstall the
> Radeon driver and reinstall...result was same exact monitor settings
> that I'm trying to get rid of, especially since there is only one
> monitor hooked to my laptop presently, and that is the laptop
> widescreen.
>
> I have recently done a full hard-disk format, reinstalled Windows XP
> Pro, all the drivers and am back in the same boat I started in. The
> computer is showing two monitor choices in the display settings.
>
> I hardware device manager, four monitors are showing as connected. All
> four are the same, exact monitor, just repeats. The monitor is default
> monitor with only low resolution choices.
>
> It seems that reloading windows would have corrected this problem.
>
> My question is, how can I find etiher a replacement display adapter for
> the ATI Radeon 9000 or a specific driver for my laptop screen?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Gregg
>

> --
> GAS77

Try windows media home page,enterprise section,try the dual monitor
configuration download.