Hi - Tomsharware automatically sent me a tickler abt this thread - I thought I had posted a note--
I did what you suggest. At first, I hooked the drive into an external sata dock hooked to my loptop, and deleted the windows folder, or whatever was on the disc. So, I was thinking it was just an empty but formatted drive.
Once I hit this 'missing ntldr' prob, I figured that there must be s/t else on drive. So, in the external dock, I wiped it totally. Then, I put it into the new build and let it get formatted that way. Everything went fine.
You learn something new every day. Or at least with every build.