Hi,
I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older. Could
someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed, etc. for
the following:

- Home video editing
- picture editing and storage
- some web development
- lots and lots of web surfing
- online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3, etc.

Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want a
DVD writer. What else should I get?

THANKS!!!

Mommio

Home video editing..... LOTS and LOTS of hard drive space. And a good and
separate graphics card.... not anything integrated (you should be thinking
PCI-Express.... x600, x800, 6800GT etc. Best CPU for video encoding is a
Hyperthreading P4 Prescott, as fast as you can afford. It beats out the AMD
x64 CPUs (although not the dual core x64s). And at least 1gb RAM.

I guess the most important part is what's your budget?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Mommio2" <mommio2@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older. Could
> someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed, etc. for
> the following:
>
> - Home video editing
> - picture editing and storage
> - some web development
> - lots and lots of web surfing
> - online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3, etc.
>
> Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
> seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want a
> DVD writer. What else should I get?
>
> THANKS!!!
>
> Mommio

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do a Google search. Recent issues of "PC Magazine" had info on what to look
for in Home, School, or Business systems. Maybe your library has copies or
go their web site.

"Mommio2" <mommio2@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older. Could
> someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed, etc. for
> the following:
>
> - Home video editing
> - picture editing and storage
> - some web development
> - lots and lots of web surfing
> - online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3, etc.
>
> Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
> seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want a
> DVD writer. What else should I get?
>
> THANKS!!!
>
> Mommio

Here are a couple of recommendations:

Choose a system based upon the AMD64 processor. You'll regret getting
anything from Intel at this point until they figure out how to dig
themselves out of the quagmire they are in.

Get a large HDD, and a GB of RAM. Make sure the system has a dedicated
Video card, or a slot for one. While on-board video is getting better, it
is still not the best choice for what you have stated.

Make sure that the unit has an ample power supply.

A DVD burner is a must; Dual Layer is obviously something you should look
at also.

Bobby

"Mommio2" <mommio2@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older. Could
> someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed, etc. for
> the following:
>
> - Home video editing
> - picture editing and storage
> - some web development
> - lots and lots of web surfing
> - online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3, etc.
>
> Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
> seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want a
> DVD writer. What else should I get?
>
> THANKS!!!
>
> Mommio

Wow,I will be expensive^_^
"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:utsaWkFnFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Do a Google search. Recent issues of "PC Magazine" had info on what to
> look for in Home, School, or Business systems. Maybe your library has
> copies or go their web site.
>
> "Mommio2" <mommio2@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older. Could
>> someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed, etc.
>> for the following:
>>
>> - Home video editing
>> - picture editing and storage
>> - some web development
>> - lots and lots of web surfing
>> - online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3, etc.
>>
>> Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
>> seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want
>> a DVD writer. What else should I get?
>>
>> THANKS!!!
>>
>> Mommio

What quagmire are intel in?

Get two hard drives. One smaller one for all the programmes and teh
operating system and a large one for the video, photos and anything else you
want to save to disc.
Yes get a seperate graphics card, ensure you have either built in firewire,
or a firewire card. I'd also say 1gb ram.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Here are a couple of recommendations:
>
> Choose a system based upon the AMD64 processor. You'll regret getting
> anything from Intel at this point until they figure out how to dig
> themselves out of the quagmire they are in.
>
> Get a large HDD, and a GB of RAM. Make sure the system has a dedicated
> Video card, or a slot for one. While on-board video is getting better, it
> is still not the best choice for what you have stated.
>
> Make sure that the unit has an ample power supply.
>
> A DVD burner is a must; Dual Layer is obviously something you should look
> at also.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Mommio2" <mommio2@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older. Could
>> someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed, etc.
>> for the following:
>>
>> - Home video editing
>> - picture editing and storage
>> - some web development
>> - lots and lots of web surfing
>> - online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3, etc.
>>
>> Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
>> seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want
>> a DVD writer. What else should I get?
>>
>> THANKS!!!
>>
>> Mommio

They haven't been able to get away from the antiquated P4J architecture.
Their latest offerings are actually *lower* in core frequency; and although
they have the EM64T extensions, they are not designed as 64 bit chips. I
won't even get into the sad state of affairs with their supposed "Dual Core"
chips. It is sad...Microsoft used to innovate and energize the market, now
it can't seem to even climb out of the hole it has dug itself into, while
AMD is now delivering new chip architectures and new technologies that are
making them a much better choice...when Intel can finally get it together
and let go of the antiquated architecture it is building it's chips from,
then perhaps they will again come out on top.

I used to be steadfastly in the Intel camp, but no more. AMD makes a
superior CPU ( I base this on personal experience as well as reviews/tests
in the industry).

I expected more from Intel...too bad they can no longer deliver.

Bobby

"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
> What quagmire are intel in?
>
> Get two hard drives. One smaller one for all the programmes and teh
> operating system and a large one for the video, photos and anything else
> you want to save to disc.
> Yes get a seperate graphics card, ensure you have either built in
> firewire, or a firewire card. I'd also say 1gb ram.
>

> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Here are a couple of recommendations:
>>
>> Choose a system based upon the AMD64 processor. You'll regret getting
>> anything from Intel at this point until they figure out how to dig
>> themselves out of the quagmire they are in.
>>
>> Get a large HDD, and a GB of RAM. Make sure the system has a dedicated
>> Video card, or a slot for one. While on-board video is getting better,
>> it is still not the best choice for what you have stated.
>>
>> Make sure that the unit has an ample power supply.
>>
>> A DVD burner is a must; Dual Layer is obviously something you should
>> look at also.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "Mommio2" <mommio2@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I am about to order a new PC, as our old one is getting older.
>>> Could someone please tell me what I need in terms of hard drive, speed,
>>> etc. for the following:
>>>
>>> - Home video editing
>>> - picture editing and storage
>>> - some web development
>>> - lots and lots of web surfing
>>> - online gaming (kids) - Wildenstein, Euchre, Doom 3,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Are there any new "bells and whistles" I should look for? It always
>>> seems that something new comes out right after I buy! I definitely want
>>> a DVD writer. What else should I get?
>>>
>>> THANKS!!!
>>>
>>> Mommio

Thanks, everyone, for your recommendations! Really appreciate your help!!!
Mommio