Load game quicker

Hi

I just reinstalled Half Life 2.

Does anyone know the command to load the game quicker?

I remember the first time I installed it, there was a command that prevented
the 3D screen from loading when you start the game.

TIA

"endorphine" wrote

> Does anyone know the command to load the game quicker?

I am using -console
Maybe there's a more appropriate cocmmand

- Peter

On 8/4/2005 5:31 AM Peter [AGHL] brightened our day with:

>"endorphine" wrote
>

>>Does anyone know the command to load the game quicker?
>>

>I am using -console
>Maybe there's a more appropriate cocmmand
>
>- Peter

+map_background none

does it too. Though it works because you're asking the game to load a
map called "none", which it fails to do. You could create your own
little background map, a static image and load that as well.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message

> +map_background none
>
> does it too. Though it works because you're asking the game to load a map
> called "none", which it fails to do. You could create your own little
> background map, a static image and load that as well.

Be warned that if you do this, there is no way to reinstate the 3D backgrounds
(unless anyone happens to know the names of the background maps, but I wasn't
able to find them).

I did it, and when the map cycled to a new one, I couldn't find any way to view
it. I didn't get to see any more of them until I reinstalled. I blame
LymanAlpha :)

--
Paul

Ooooops... Someone turned over another rock... :)

--

"The Buffalo Theory"

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest
buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest
and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This
natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because
the general speed and health of the whole group keeps
improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as
fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of
alcohol, as we know, kill brain cells. But naturally,
it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the
weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more
efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter
after a few beers.

On 8/4/2005 10:56 AM Paul Catley brightened our day with:

>"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>

>>+map_background none
>>
>>does it too. Though it works because you're asking the game to load a map
>>called "none", which it fails to do. You could create your own little
>>background map, a static image and load that as well.
>>

>Be warned that if you do this, there is no way to reinstate the 3D backgrounds
>(unless anyone happens to know the names of the background maps, but I wasn't
>able to find them).
>
>I did it, and when the map cycled to a new one, I couldn't find any way to view
>it. I didn't get to see any more of them until I reinstalled. I blame
>LymanAlpha :)
>
>--
>Paul

Huh? I didn't have that problem, I removed the "+map_background none",
from Steam>Play Games>Half-Life 2>Properties>Launch Options, and the 3D
maps are there again.
If you enter in "/map_background none" into the console that might yield
different results. Though I'd assume you could check the cfg files to
see if you could change it there.
I suppose I should have been a little more clear. You add that command
in either the Steam properties of the game or if you happen to have a
HL2 desktop shortcut you append the command line there.
I thought the + was a dead giveaway as to were that was to go.

--

> Huh? I didn't have that problem, I removed the "+map_background none", from
> Steam>Play Games>Half-Life 2>Properties>Launch Options, and the 3D maps are
> there again.
> If you enter in "/map_background none" into the console that might yield
> different results. Though I'd assume you could check the cfg files to see if
> you could change it there.
> I suppose I should have been a little more clear. You add that command in
> either the Steam properties of the game or if you happen to have a HL2 desktop
> shortcut you append the command line there. I thought the + was a dead
> giveaway as to were that was to go.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I actually did this ages ago, not in
response to your advice in this thread. I thought it might have been you who
advised me the first time (it was someone in this NG), but I could easily be
wrong. I was only joking about blaming you anyway :)

I believe I did enter it as a console command, rather than a command line
switch. I didn't read your current advice properly, sorry. I did check the
config files at the time, and couldn't find any obvious line that I could edit
or delete to restore the original backgrounds. It has only been restored to
normal by a recent reinstallation.

So, my advice: don't type "/map_background none" into the console!

--
Paul

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I believe I did enter it as a console command, rather than a command line
> switch.

Then again, maybe the reason I couldn't fix it was because I *thought* I had
typed it into the console originally. I don't know anymore...

:oops:

--
Paul