Choosing between CBR and VBR

I need to encode some videos but I'd need to encode them at a low bitrate
(around VCD standard bitrate: 1150 kbps). Am I better off encoding them in
CBR or VBR? Given the fact that the bitrate will be low, there might be no
point in using VBR, but on the other hand, I thought that, using the latter,
quality can't be worse than using CBR. What do you all think? Thanks!

"Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:

>I need to encode some videos but I'd need to encode them at a low bitrate
>(around VCD standard bitrate: 1150 kbps). Am I better off encoding them in
>CBR or VBR? Given the fact that the bitrate will be low, there might be no
>point in using VBR, but on the other hand, I thought that, using the latter,
>quality can't be worse than using CBR. What do you all think? Thanks!

VBR is really only helpful with lower bitrates since it allows the
bitrate to be increased for scenes which require it while decreasing
the bitrate for scenes which don't. I would think that VBR might end
up looking better (and almost certainly not worse) than CBR which is
what you seem to be thinking. BTW, I hope you're using 352x240
(352x288 if PAL) resolution for these videos; the bitrate you're using
is too low for higher DVD-compatible resolutions.

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to encode some videos but I'd need to encode them at a low bitrate
> >(around VCD standard bitrate: 1150 kbps). Am I better off encoding them
in
> >CBR or VBR? Given the fact that the bitrate will be low, there might be
no
> >point in using VBR, but on the other hand, I thought that, using the
latter,
> >quality can't be worse than using CBR. What do you all think? Thanks!
>
> VBR is really only helpful with lower bitrates since it allows the
> bitrate to be increased for scenes which require it while decreasing
> the bitrate for scenes which don't. I would think that VBR might end
> up looking better (and almost certainly not worse) than CBR which is
> what you seem to be thinking. BTW, I hope you're using 352x240
> (352x288 if PAL) resolution for these videos; the bitrate you're using
> is too low for higher DVD-compatible resolutions.

That's right: I'm using low-resolution (352x240 NTSC) for my videos. The
problem is that I have converted my vids to DVD and I noticed that some
scenes were played at 600 kbps. I only wondered if there could've been
problems with my DVD player playing videos at such a low bitrate.

Ampersand wrote:

> <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > "Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I need to encode some videos but I'd need to encode them at a low
> > >bitrate (around VCD standard bitrate: 1150 kbps). Am I better off
> > >encoding them
> in
> > >CBR or VBR? Given the fact that the bitrate will be low, there
> > >might be
> no
> > >point in using VBR, but on the other hand, I thought that, using
> > >the
> latter,
> > >quality can't be worse than using CBR. What do you all think?
> > >Thanks!
> >
> > VBR is really only helpful with lower bitrates since it allows the
> > bitrate to be increased for scenes which require it while decreasing
> > the bitrate for scenes which don't. I would think that VBR might
> > end up looking better (and almost certainly not worse) than CBR
> > which is what you seem to be thinking. BTW, I hope you're using
> > 352x240 (352x288 if PAL) resolution for these videos; the bitrate
> > you're using is too low for higher DVD-compatible resolutions.
> >

> That's right: I'm using low-resolution (352x240 NTSC) for my videos.
> The problem is that I have converted my vids to DVD and I noticed
> that some scenes were played at 600 kbps. I only wondered if there
> could've been problems with my DVD player playing videos at such a
> low bitrate.

CBR should be more compatible
--

if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
www.google.com

"PerthMETRO.net" <email -at- perthmetro -dot- net> wrote in message
> Ampersand wrote:
> >
> > <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > in
> > no
> > latter,
> > >
> > > VBR is really only helpful with lower bitrates since it allows the
> > > bitrate to be increased for scenes which require it while decreasing
> > > the bitrate for scenes which don't. I would think that VBR might
> > > end up looking better (and almost certainly not worse) than CBR
> > > which is what you seem to be thinking. BTW, I hope you're using
> > > 352x240 (352x288 if PAL) resolution for these videos; the bitrate
> > > you're using is too low for higher DVD-compatible resolutions.
> > >

> > That's right: I'm using low-resolution (352x240 NTSC) for my videos.
> > The problem is that I have converted my vids to DVD and I noticed
> > that some scenes were played at 600 kbps. I only wondered if there
> > could've been problems with my DVD player playing videos at such a
> > low bitrate.
>
> CBR should be more compatible
> --
>
> if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
> www.google.com

Well, my DVD player plays VBR fine. I was only wondering if the parts of
the video that are played at 600 kbps might affect it (I thought this
bitrate was too low).