Video Woes

I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics card.
Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up straight
away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error “Create overlay failed. Please
lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again�. I often
experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up to
the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V), uninstalled
the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem. I
think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns “Direct3D 7 test results:
Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
memory)�. If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw shows
red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including “Has 3d
Hardware Acceleration�) and Extended Capabilities (apart from “Can render in
window�). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No Z
buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends that I
upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?

--
If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
light.

    No offers?

    I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video overlay.
    Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers loaded.

    I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc with
    overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.

    I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.

    Help.............
    --

    "CJ" wrote:

    > I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
    > computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics card.
    > Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up straight
    > away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error “Create overlay failed. Please
    > lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again�. I often
    > experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
    > modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up to
    > the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V), uninstalled
    > the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem. I
    > think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
    > except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns “Direct3D 7 test results:
    > Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
    > memory)�. If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw shows
    > red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including “Has 3d
    > Hardware Acceleration�) and Extended Capabilities (apart from “Can render in
    > window�). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
    > accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No Z
    > buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends that I
    > upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
    > I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
    > Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?
    >
    > --
    > If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
    > light.

    I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall drivers
    from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > No offers?
    >
    > I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video
    > overlay.
    > Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers
    > loaded.
    >
    > I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc
    > with
    > overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.
    >
    > I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.
    >
    > Help.............
    > --
    > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
    > candle light.
    >

    > "CJ" wrote:
    >
    >> I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
    >> computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics
    >> card.
    >> Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up
    >> straight
    >> away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error "Create overlay failed. Please
    >> lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again". I often
    >> experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
    >> modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up
    >> the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V),
    >> uninstalled
    >> the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem.
    >> think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
    >> except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns "Direct3D 7 test results:
    >> Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
    >> memory)". If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw
    >> shows
    >> red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including "Has 3d
    >> Hardware Acceleration") and Extended Capabilities (apart from "Can render
    >> in
    >> window"). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
    >> accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No
    >> buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends
    >> that I
    >> upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
    >> I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
    >> Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?
    >>
    >> --
    >> If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
    >> light.

    Thanks for answering Graham.

    I have tried to reinstall Direct X but I can't.

    How do I force the system to reinstall DirectX when all of the installs that
    I have tried simply recognise that I have 9.0c and don't progress any
    further? Is there a utility?
    --

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall drivers
    > from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.
    >
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No offers?
    > >
    > > I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video
    > > overlay.
    > > Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers
    > > loaded.
    > >
    > > I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc
    > > with
    > > overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.
    > >
    > > I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.
    > >
    > > Help.............
    > > --
    > > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
    > > candle light.
    > >

    > > "CJ" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
    > >> computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics
    > >> card.
    > >> Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up
    > >> straight
    > >> away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error "Create overlay failed. Please
    > >> lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again". I often
    > >> experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
    > >> modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up
    > >> the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V),
    > >> uninstalled
    > >> the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem.
    > >> think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
    > >> except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns "Direct3D 7 test results:
    > >> Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
    > >> memory)". If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw
    > >> shows
    > >> red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including "Has 3d
    > >> Hardware Acceleration") and Extended Capabilities (apart from "Can render
    > >> in
    > >> window"). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
    > >> accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No
    > >> buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends
    > >> that I
    > >> upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
    > >> I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
    > >> Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
    > >> light.

    This may be useful
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howtodirectx.html

    --

    > Thanks for answering Graham.
    >
    > I have tried to reinstall Direct X but I can't.
    >
    > How do I force the system to reinstall DirectX when all of the installs
    > that
    > I have tried simply recognise that I have 9.0c and don't progress any
    > further? Is there a utility?
    > --
    > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
    > candle light.
    >

    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall
    >> drivers
    >> from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.
    >>
    >> Graham
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > No offers?
    >> >
    >> > I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video
    >> > overlay.
    >> > Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers
    >> > loaded.
    >> >
    >> > I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc
    >> > with
    >> > overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.
    >> >
    >> > I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.
    >> >
    >> > Help.............
    >> > --
    >> > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer
    >> > by
    >> > candle light.

    Thanks for that Graham. Unfortunately, it seems to install for a few
    seconds, then tells me all the necessary files are installed. It's as if it
    is looking at the DiretcX that I already have and deciding that it doesn't
    need to install anything. I need a utility that will "force" windows to
    totally re-install directX.

    Would it make my computer unusable if I deleted all of the directX files and
    restartedn prior to running the DirectX install?
    --

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > This may be useful
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howtodirectx.html
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for answering Graham.
    > >
    > > I have tried to reinstall Direct X but I can't.
    > >
    > > How do I force the system to reinstall DirectX when all of the installs
    > > that
    > > I have tried simply recognise that I have 9.0c and don't progress any
    > > further? Is there a utility?
    > > --
    > > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
    > > candle light.
    > >

    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall
    > >> drivers
    > >> from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.
    > >>
    > >> Graham
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Graham Hughes
    > >> MVP Digital Media
    > >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    > >> www.simplydv.com
    > >>

    > >> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    CJ,
    What happens when you run the DX diagnostics?
    Start, Run, type "dxdiag" without quotes, and run the tests.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Everything comes up fine except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns
    “Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT =
    0x8007000e (Out of memory)�.
    If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw shows
    red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including “Has 3d
    Hardware Acceleration�) and Extended Capabilities (apart from “Can render in
    window�). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
    accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No Z
    buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends that I
    upgrade my graphics card.

    I have looked at the DirectX uninstall tools but they are either for prvious
    versions or want me to pay. I don't mind paying, but not by credit card to a
    site I have never heard of before.
    --

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > CJ,
    > What happens when you run the DX diagnostics?
    > Start, Run, type "dxdiag" without quotes, and run the tests.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    CJ,
    Can you give us the make/model of your graphics card?
    Sounds like it may be the physical connection, or the card itself has
    gone South.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --