  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 9, 2005 10:03:34 AM

I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics card.
Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up straight
away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error “Create overlay failed. Please
lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again�. I often
experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up to
the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V), uninstalled
the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem. I
think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns “Direct3D 7 test results:
Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
memory)�. If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw shows
red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including “Has 3d
Hardware Acceleration�) and Extended Capabilities (apart from “Can render in
window�). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No Z
buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends that I
upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?

--
If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
light.

More about : video woes

August 11, 2005 7:07:06 AM

No offers?

I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video overlay.
Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers loaded.

I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc with
overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.

I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.

Help.............
--

"CJ" wrote:

> I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
> computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics card.
> Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up straight
> away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error “Create overlay failed. Please
> lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again�. I often
> experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
> modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up to
> the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V), uninstalled
> the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem. I
> think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
> except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns “Direct3D 7 test results:
> Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
> memory)�. If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw shows
> red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including “Has 3d
> Hardware Acceleration�) and Extended Capabilities (apart from “Can render in
> window�). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
> accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No Z
> buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends that I
> upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
> I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
> Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?
>
> --
> If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
> light.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2005 4:48:23 PM

I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall drivers
from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No offers?
>
> I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video
> overlay.
> Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers
> loaded.
>
> I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc
> with
> overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.
>
> I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.
>
> Help.............
> --
> If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
> candle light.
>

> "CJ" wrote:
>
>> I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
>> computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics
>> card.
>> Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up
>> straight
>> away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error "Create overlay failed. Please
>> lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again". I often
>> experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
>> modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up
>> the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V),
>> uninstalled
>> the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem.
>> think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
>> except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns "Direct3D 7 test results:
>> Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
>> memory)". If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw
>> shows
>> red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including "Has 3d
>> Hardware Acceleration") and Extended Capabilities (apart from "Can render
>> in
>> window"). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
>> accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No
>> buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends
>> that I
>> upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
>> I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
>> Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?
>>
>> --
>> If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
>> light.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 12, 2005 5:15:02 PM

Thanks for answering Graham.

I have tried to reinstall Direct X but I can't.

How do I force the system to reinstall DirectX when all of the installs that
I have tried simply recognise that I have 9.0c and don't progress any
further? Is there a utility?
--

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall drivers
> from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No offers?
> >
> > I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video
> > overlay.
> > Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers
> > loaded.
> >
> > I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc
> > with
> > overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.
> >
> > I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.
> >
> > Help.............
> > --
> > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
> > candle light.
> >

> > "CJ" wrote:
> >
> >> I am having problems with windows and graphics. I recently upgraded my
> >> computer to an Athlon 64 3500+ with an Asus (ATI) X300 PCIe graphics
> >> card.
> >> Since then I have not been able to play DVDs as PowerDVD locks up
> >> straight
> >> away and WinDVD 5 comes up with the error "Create overlay failed. Please
> >> lower your screen resolution or colour depth & try again". I often
> >> experience the graphics card resetting and sometimes failing when playing
> >> modern games (Far Cry etc). I thought that the graphics card was not up
> >> the job so I recently bought a Gigabyte X800XT (GV-RX80L256V),
> >> uninstalled
> >> the old drivers/card and installed the new one. Still the same problem.
> >> think the problem is DirectX so I ran DXDiag. Everything comes up fine
> >> except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns "Direct3D 7 test results:
> >> Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of
> >> memory)". If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw
> >> shows
> >> red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including "Has 3d
> >> Hardware Acceleration") and Extended Capabilities (apart from "Can render
> >> in
> >> window"). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
> >> accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No
> >> buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends
> >> that I
> >> upgrade my graphics card. £220 well spent there then.
> >> I am running XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers for video.
> >> Anyone got any ideas, apart from a Windows re-install?
> >>
> >> --
> >> If it wasn''t for electricians you would be using your computer by candle
> >> light.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2005 1:15:19 PM

This may be useful
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howtodirectx.html

--

> Thanks for answering Graham.
>
> I have tried to reinstall Direct X but I can't.
>
> How do I force the system to reinstall DirectX when all of the installs
> that
> I have tried simply recognise that I have 9.0c and don't progress any
> further? Is there a utility?
> --
> If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
> candle light.
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall
>> drivers
>> from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No offers?
>> >
>> > I think my problem lies with the fact that it cannot create a video
>> > overlay.
>> > Probably a software problem. I have all the latest bios and drivers
>> > loaded.
>> >
>> > I did dablle with multi screens at one point (I know this causes havoc
>> > with
>> > overlays ) but I am back to one screen now.
>> >
>> > I can play DVDs through Media Player Classic.
>> >
>> > Help.............
>> > --
>> > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer
>> > by
>> > candle light.

August 17, 2005 8:35:02 AM

Thanks for that Graham. Unfortunately, it seems to install for a few
seconds, then tells me all the necessary files are installed. It's as if it
is looking at the DiretcX that I already have and deciding that it doesn't
need to install anything. I need a utility that will "force" windows to
totally re-install directX.

Would it make my computer unusable if I deleted all of the directX files and
restartedn prior to running the DirectX install?
--

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> This may be useful
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howtodirectx.html
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for answering Graham.
> >
> > I have tried to reinstall Direct X but I can't.
> >
> > How do I force the system to reinstall DirectX when all of the installs
> > that
> > I have tried simply recognise that I have 9.0c and don't progress any
> > further? Is there a utility?
> > --
> > If it wasn''''''''t for electricians you would be using your computer by
> > candle light.
> >

> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> I would reinstall directx, reboot. reinstalll WMP, reboot, reinstall
> >> drivers
> >> from gigabyte for the graphics card, reboot.
> >>
> >> Graham
> >>
> >> --
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> >> www.dvds2treasure.com
> >> www.simplydv.com
> >>

> >> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

August 17, 2005 5:26:06 PM

Everything comes up fine except for the DirectDraw7 test which returns
“Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT =
0x8007000e (Out of memory)�.
If I run the DirectX test in Sisoft Sandra The Direct Draw shows
red crosses against everything in general capabilities (including “Has 3d
Hardware Acceleration�) and Extended Capabilities (apart from “Can render in
window�). It also tells me in the tips, Video card does not have 3d
accelerated hardware, No stretch support, No hardware overlay support, No Z
buffering support, No hardware colour-space conversion and recommends that I
upgrade my graphics card.

I have looked at the DirectX uninstall tools but they are either for prvious
versions or want me to pay. I don't mind paying, but not by credit card to a
site I have never heard of before.
--

"Treeman" wrote:

> CJ,
> What happens when you run the DX diagnostics?
> Start, Run, type "dxdiag" without quotes, and run the tests.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2005 12:33:07 PM

CJ,
Can you give us the make/model of your graphics card?
Sounds like it may be the physical connection, or the card itself has
gone South.
Best,
Treeman

--