Can anybody think of a reason that my video camera would not be recognized by
my machine? It's a standard USB connection to a brand new Sony digital video
camera. My machine doesn't even pick up that the camera has been plugged in
(i.e. not even a pop up that says "New hardware detected"). What the...?

Because you need to connect it via firewire to transfer digital video.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging