DVD Compress

August 11, 2005 6:46:11 AM

I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have created
a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I have
heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can this be
done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

More about : dvd compress

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:31:49 PM

How long is the movie.. you can only fit about 2 hours on a DVD, no matter
how compressed it is.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Garth" <Garth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
>created
> a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I have
> heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can this
> be
> done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
> software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:15:02 AM

Thanks Cari, but how do they fit professional movies of 2.5-3 hours onto a DVD?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> How long is the movie.. you can only fit about 2 hours on a DVD, no matter
> how compressed it is.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Garth" <Garth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
> >created
> > a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I have
> > heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can this
> > be
> > done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
> > software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

August 12, 2005 3:10:03 PM

They use dual layer DVDs. A commercially produced dual layer DVD is not the
same type of media that you can purchase as +DL or -DL format. You would
have to check at www.videohelp.com as to whether your standalone DVD player
can actually handle the DL media you can buy. Most, unfortunately, do not.
--

> Thanks Cari, but how do they fit professional movies of 2.5-3 hours onto a
> DVD?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> How long is the movie.. you can only fit about 2 hours on a DVD, no
>> matter
>> how compressed it is.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Garth" <Garth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
>> >created
>> > a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I
>> > have
>> > heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can
>> > this
>> > be
>> > done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
>> > software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:36:24 AM

Garth Wrote:
> I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
> created
> a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I
> have
> heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can
> this be
> done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
> software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

Not sure if this will help but I often use DVDshrink to backup my DVD
movies, which like Cari said, are dual layer DVDs. By using it, I can
shirnk the size of it to fit one DVD disc. You can give it a try but I
am not sure if it is going to work because I have never tried it with
home movies. I only used it to back up full dual layer DVD movies. Just
google it and it should come up. :cool:

--
Evolution54
!