DVD Compress

I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have created
a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I have
heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can this be
done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD
4 answers Last reply
More about compress

    How long is the movie.. you can only fit about 2 hours on a DVD, no matter
    how compressed it is.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Garth" <Garth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
    >created
    > a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I have
    > heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can this
    > be
    > done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
    > software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

    Thanks Cari, but how do they fit professional movies of 2.5-3 hours onto a DVD?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > How long is the movie.. you can only fit about 2 hours on a DVD, no matter
    > how compressed it is.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Garth" <Garth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
    > >created
    > > a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I have
    > > heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can this
    > > be
    > > done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
    > > software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

    They use dual layer DVDs. A commercially produced dual layer DVD is not the
    same type of media that you can purchase as +DL or -DL format. You would
    have to check at www.videohelp.com as to whether your standalone DVD player
    can actually handle the DL media you can buy. Most, unfortunately, do not.
    --

    Garth Wrote:
    > I am creating my own home movies and burning to a 4.7 Gb DVD. I have
    > created
    > a 1.8 Gb mpeg file ( 120 Minutes) and it will not fit onto the DVD. I
    > have
    > heard that the information can be compressed onto the disc. How can
    > this be
    > done and what sort of software, if any, must be used. I am running XP
    > software and Windows Movie Maker 2.1 as well as Roxio to burn the DVD

    Not sure if this will help but I often use DVDshrink to backup my DVD
    movies, which like Cari said, are dual layer DVDs. By using it, I can
    shirnk the size of it to fit one DVD disc. You can give it a try but I
    am not sure if it is going to work because I have never tried it with
    home movies. I only used it to back up full dual layer DVD movies. Just
    google it and it should come up. :cool:

    --
    Evolution54

Video DVD Burner Windows XP