Help - set resolution too high for my monitor

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2005 4:25:14 PM

Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2005 12:36:58 AM

On 6 Aug 2005 12:25:14 -0700, b.woolf wrote:

>Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
>wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
>690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
>switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
>Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

boot into safe mode, i think that is 640x480.
remove the video card drivers and reboot to normal windows, res should
be 800x600.
reinstall drivers.
before selecting a higher or non-standard res tick the show only
supported resolutions box [or words to that effect].

dr ratt

----------------------
trust me.
i know what i'm doing.
----------------------
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2005 4:32:32 AM

b.woolf wrote:
> Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
> wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
> 690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
> switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
> Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

I've never tried this with HL2, however, the commandline switch "-width
640" in HL1 would set your screen res to 640x480 .. it's worth a go.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
a b U Graphics card

On 6 Aug 2005 12:25:14 -0700, b.woolf wrote:

>Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
>wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
>690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
>switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
>Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

Load steam....go to hl2 and right click and select properties....

Then click launch options...and type "-autoconfig" without the
quotes....but
remember to delete that after you have reset ur settings...otherwise
ur
settings will always "default" everytime u play the game...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2005 3:43:04 PM

Craig you are a star - thank you so much, I am now in, and have changed
the video settings (have learnt a valuable lesson not tinker!). Thanks
also to everyone else that replied (especially dr ratt). I did try all
suggestions including the command line switch, without much luck. I
think this was because steam launches before HL2, I managed to get
steam to launch in 640x480 mode but it would still launch HL2 in high
rez. Anyway enough chat - problem sloved thanks again for your help
guys.
August 7, 2005 4:29:42 PM

go buy a new monitor that can handle it
<b.woolf> wrote in message
> Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
> wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
> 690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
> switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
> Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2005 9:09:32 PM

Reboot computer into Safe Mode then reset the video driver and reboot!
Fixed in a jiffy.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 8, 2005 10:02:05 PM

That was the first thing I tried - steam still starts HL2 in the high
rez mode
!