Help - set resolution too high for my monitor

Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?
7 answers Last reply
More about help resolution high monitor

    On 6 Aug 2005 12:25:14 -0700, b.woolf wrote:

    >Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
    >wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
    >690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
    >switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
    >Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

    boot into safe mode, i think that is 640x480.
    remove the video card drivers and reboot to normal windows, res should
    be 800x600.
    reinstall drivers.
    before selecting a higher or non-standard res tick the show only
    supported resolutions box [or words to that effect].

    dr ratt

    ----------------------
    trust me.
    i know what i'm doing.
    ----------------------

    b.woolf wrote:
    > Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
    > wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
    > 690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
    > switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
    > Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

    I've never tried this with HL2, however, the commandline switch "-width
    640" in HL1 would set your screen res to 640x480 .. it's worth a go.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    On 6 Aug 2005 12:25:14 -0700, b.woolf wrote:

    >Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
    >wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
    >690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
    >switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
    >Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

    Load steam....go to hl2 and right click and select properties....

    Then click launch options...and type "-autoconfig" without the
    quotes....but
    remember to delete that after you have reset ur settings...otherwise
    ur
    settings will always "default" everytime u play the game...

    Craig you are a star - thank you so much, I am now in, and have changed
    the video settings (have learnt a valuable lesson not tinker!). Thanks
    also to everyone else that replied (especially dr ratt). I did try all
    suggestions including the command line switch, without much luck. I
    think this was because steam launches before HL2, I managed to get
    steam to launch in 640x480 mode but it would still launch HL2 in high
    rez. Anyway enough chat - problem sloved thanks again for your help
    guys.

    go buy a new monitor that can handle it
    <b.woolf> wrote in message
    > Hi, I hope someone can help, I have installed a new graphics card;
    > wanting to see how for I could push the resolution I set it to 1280 x
    > 690 in the video options in HL2. Problem is my monitor can't cope and
    > switched itself off - now I cannot see the screen to change it back.
    > Aggghhhhhhh what do I do now?

    Reboot computer into Safe Mode then reset the video driver and reboot!
    Fixed in a jiffy.

    That was the first thing I tried - steam still starts HL2 in the high
    rez mode

Resolution Graphics Cards Monitors Video Games