Olympus C700 - Progress at last!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.

I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on ebay
and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10 "shipping
and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to get
and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a universal
job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine for
the C700 and my other junk too.

First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
up.

Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the camera
works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom out,
click, click, click, click, click....

Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only again
and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
message.

Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it. May
be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may have
temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
battery-only.

Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
batteries and report back.

Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great deal
of knowledge about how these things work.

And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and the
"just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)

Fred
35 answers Last reply
More about olympus c700 progress last
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    PS -- For others with questions or problems about the C-700, you can
    subscribe to the yahoogroups email list. Lots of very helpful folks
    there....

    Fred again

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.
    >

    > I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on ebay
    > and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10 "shipping
    > and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to get
    > and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a universal
    > job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine for
    > the C700 and my other junk too.
    >
    > First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
    > only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
    > problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
    > up.
    >
    > Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
    camera
    > works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
    out,
    > click, click, click, click, click....
    >
    > Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
    again
    > and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    > message.
    >
    > Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.
    May
    > be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
    > somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may have
    > temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
    > battery-only.
    >
    > Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
    > batteries and report back.
    >
    > Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
    > several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great
    deal
    > of knowledge about how these things work.
    >
    > And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and the
    > "just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
    > comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)
    >
    > Fred

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.
    >

    > I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on ebay
    > and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10 "shipping
    > and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to get
    > and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a universal
    > job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine for
    > the C700 and my other junk too.
    >
    > First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
    > only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
    > problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
    > up.
    >
    > Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the camera
    > works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom out,
    > click, click, click, click, click....
    >
    > Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only again
    > and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    > message.
    >
    > Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it. May
    > be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
    > somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may have
    > temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
    > battery-only.
    >
    > Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
    > batteries and report back.
    >
    > Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
    > several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great deal
    > of knowledge about how these things work.
    >
    > And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and the
    > "just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
    > comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)
    >
    > Fred

    Hi...

    I guess leaving the only realistic possibility a
    high resistance connection in the switch portion
    of the adapter input plug.

    Ah, well, I guess in this case tenacity paid off.
    Congratulations.

    Ken
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Yes, sounds like it could be. One of these cold rainy weekends I'll take it
    apart and check all the solder connections, etc. Thanks, Ken, for your
    correspondence and help!

    Fred

    "Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    > > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.
    > >

    > > I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on
    ebay
    > > and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10
    "shipping
    > > and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to
    get
    > > and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a
    universal
    > > job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine
    for
    > > the C700 and my other junk too.
    > >
    > > First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline
    batteries
    > > only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough,
    same
    > > problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message
    pops
    > > up.
    > >
    > > Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
    camera
    > > works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
    out,
    > > click, click, click, click, click....
    > >
    > > Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
    again
    > > and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery
    bad
    > > message.
    > >
    > > Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.
    May
    > > be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
    > > somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may
    have
    > > temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
    > > battery-only.
    > >
    > > Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
    > > batteries and report back.
    > >
    > > Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
    > > several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great
    deal
    > > of knowledge about how these things work.
    > >
    > > And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and
    the
    > > "just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
    > > comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)
    > >
    > > Fred
    >
    > Hi...
    >
    > I guess leaving the only realistic possibility a
    > high resistance connection in the switch portion
    > of the adapter input plug.
    >
    > Ah, well, I guess in this case tenacity paid off.
    > Congratulations.
    >
    > Ken

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    So now to use the Olympussy, you're goping to have to tote an AC supply?

    Figures from that company ...

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:07:40 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >PS -- For others with questions or problems about the C-700, you can
    >subscribe to the yahoogroups email list. Lots of very helpful folks
    >there....

    >Fred again
    >
    >"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    >> Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    >> posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.
    >>

    >> I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on ebay
    >> and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10 "shipping
    >> and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to get
    >> and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a universal
    >> job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine for
    >> the C700 and my other junk too.
    >>
    >> First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
    >> only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
    >> problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
    >> up.
    >>
    >> Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
    >camera
    >> works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
    >out,
    >> click, click, click, click, click....
    >>
    >> Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
    >again
    >> and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.
    >May
    >> be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
    >> somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may have
    >> temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
    >> battery-only.
    >>
    >> Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
    >> batteries and report back.
    >>
    >> Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
    >> several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great
    >deal
    >> of knowledge about how these things work.
    >>
    >> And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and the
    >> "just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
    >> comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)
    >>
    >> Fred

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:42:55 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

    >Yes, sounds like it could be. One of these cold rainy weekends I'll take it
    >apart and check all the solder connections, etc. Thanks, Ken, for your
    >correspondence and help!

    Sounds very much like a Disaster Waiting To Happen.....

    DS
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    "David Springthorpe" <david.springthorpe@idx.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:42:55 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    wrote:

    > >Yes, sounds like it could be. One of these cold rainy weekends I'll take
    it
    > >apart and check all the solder connections, etc. Thanks, Ken, for your
    > >correspondence and help!
    >
    > Sounds very much like a Disaster Waiting To Happen.....

    Well, we'll soon find out! I've already got the tools together -- let's
    see.... duct tape, paper clips, sledge hammer, 24 ounce bottle of redskin
    peanuts, TV Guide.... Yep! I'm all ready to go!

    Now back to an update...

    After using the AC adapter for awhile, I disconnected it and then ran it on
    batteries only. This time I took 4 or 5 photos before the "battery low"
    warning came back up. Then plugged back in with the adapter and it work
    fully again. Probably not a revelation to the more advance folks, like
    David, but I like to double check things before pulling out the chain saws.

    Later,

    Have a NICE DAY, David! Don't run out in front of any buses or anything.

    Fred
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    My vote is that the batteries are still bad, and there is nothing wrong with
    the camera!

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "David Springthorpe" <david.springthorpe@idx.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:42:55 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    wrote:

    > >Yes, sounds like it could be. One of these cold rainy weekends I'll take
    it
    > >apart and check all the solder connections, etc. Thanks, Ken, for your
    > >correspondence and help!
    >
    > Sounds very much like a Disaster Waiting To Happen.....

    Well, we'll soon find out! I've already got the tools together -- let's
    see.... duct tape, paper clips, sledge hammer, 24 ounce bottle of redskin
    peanuts, TV Guide.... Yep! I'm all ready to go!

    Now back to an update...

    After using the AC adapter for awhile, I disconnected it and then ran it on
    batteries only. This time I took 4 or 5 photos before the "battery low"
    warning came back up. Then plugged back in with the adapter and it work
    fully again. Probably not a revelation to the more advance folks, like
    David, but I like to double check things before pulling out the chain saws.

    Later,

    Have a NICE DAY, David! Don't run out in front of any buses or anything.

    Fred
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Just curious..... what is, or was, the milli/amp rating of the batteries
    that seemed to fail ? The AC adapter you found puts out a lot more
    amps than a same voltage AC transformer for a phone or whatever. Glad
    you're gaining on the problem......

    Fred wrote:
    > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 02:29:53 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

    >Have a NICE DAY, David! Don't run out in front of any buses or anything.

    Well, put it this way, if I ever try to "fix" things they usually end up
    completely stuffed.....

    DS
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:54:59 GMT "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    wrote:

    >First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
    >only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
    >problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
    >up.
    >
    >Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the camera
    >works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom out,
    >click, click, click, click, click....
    >
    >Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only again
    >and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    >message.

    Sounds to me like there is a contact in the AC adaptor jack that got a
    little resistive from an oxide layer there. Just plugging and
    unplugging the AC adaptor broke the oxide layer and made everything
    good again.

    I know this was a lot of work for you and you deserve a real "attaboy"
    for your efforts. Even thought the solution seems to have been simple,
    getting there was not. There are lots of people here who understand
    and appreciate that.

    If I ever have such a problem with my camera I hope I can remember to
    just push a matching plug into it's adaptor jack a few times to see if
    that helps.

    -
    Jim Adney jadney@vwtype3.org
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I suggest that someone try to plug in a jack only- do not power the
    adapter on. There may be a switching problem with the camera's power
    input jack.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Thanks, TRR.

    No idea on the current rating of the batteries -- they're garden variety,
    off the shelf alkaline AA 1.5V. Over the years, I have tried all the major
    brands with same good results - 100-150 480x640 photos on a set when the
    camera was working good.

    And, yes, it did seem like pretty high current to me, too. But the specs say
    it draws 2100 ma and, snooping around the camera shop, I see that some of
    the others draw high current too.

    Fred

    "TRR" <trrusty@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious..... what is, or was, the milli/amp rating of the batteries
    > that seemed to fail ? The AC adapter you found puts out a lot more
    > amps than a same voltage AC transformer for a phone or whatever. Glad
    > you're gaining on the problem......
    >
    > Fred wrote:
    > > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Why I oughta.....

    "Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My vote is that the batteries are still bad, and there is nothing wrong
    with
    > the camera!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > =====
    >
    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > "David Springthorpe" <david.springthorpe@idx.com.au> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:42:55 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Yes, sounds like it could be. One of these cold rainy weekends I'll
    take
    > it
    > > >apart and check all the solder connections, etc. Thanks, Ken, for
    your
    > > >correspondence and help!
    > >
    > > Sounds very much like a Disaster Waiting To Happen.....
    >
    > Well, we'll soon find out! I've already got the tools together -- let's
    > see.... duct tape, paper clips, sledge hammer, 24 ounce bottle of redskin
    > peanuts, TV Guide.... Yep! I'm all ready to go!
    >
    > Now back to an update...
    >
    > After using the AC adapter for awhile, I disconnected it and then ran it
    on
    > batteries only. This time I took 4 or 5 photos before the "battery low"
    > warning came back up. Then plugged back in with the adapter and it work
    > fully again. Probably not a revelation to the more advance folks, like
    > David, but I like to double check things before pulling out the chain
    saws.

    > Later,
    >
    > Have a NICE DAY, David! Don't run out in front of any buses or anything.
    >
    > Fred

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    That's right! Know where I can find a 500-ft extension cord?

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/

    > >Fred again
    > >
    > >"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > >> Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > >> posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.
    > >>

    > >> I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on
    ebay
    > >> and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10
    "shipping
    > >> and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to
    get
    > >> and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a
    universal
    > >> job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine
    for
    > >> the C700 and my other junk too.
    > >>
    > >> First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline
    batteries
    > >> only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough,
    same
    > >> problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message
    pops
    > >> up.
    > >>
    > >> Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
    > >camera
    > >> works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
    > >out,
    > >> click, click, click, click, click....
    > >>
    > >> Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
    > >again
    > >> and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery
    bad
    > >> message.
    > >>
    > >> Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.
    > >May
    > >> be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing
    component
    > >> somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may
    have
    > >> temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
    > >> battery-only.
    > >>
    > >> Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
    > >> batteries and report back.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
    > >> several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great
    > >deal
    > >> of knowledge about how these things work.
    > >>
    > >> And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and
    the
    > >> "just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
    > >> comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)
    > >>
    > >> Fred

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not in
    a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for me to
    diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what I
    find out.

    After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on the
    AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

    "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:54:59 GMT "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
    > >only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
    > >problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message
    pops
    > >up.
    > >
    > >Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
    camera
    > >works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
    out,
    > >click, click, click, click, click....
    > >
    > >Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
    again
    > >and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    > >message.
    >
    > Sounds to me like there is a contact in the AC adaptor jack that got a
    > little resistive from an oxide layer there. Just plugging and
    > unplugging the AC adaptor broke the oxide layer and made everything
    > good again.
    >
    > I know this was a lot of work for you and you deserve a real "attaboy"
    > for your efforts. Even thought the solution seems to have been simple,
    > getting there was not. There are lots of people here who understand
    > and appreciate that.
    >
    > If I ever have such a problem with my camera I hope I can remember to
    > just push a matching plug into it's adaptor jack a few times to see if
    > that helps.
    >
    > -
    > Jim Adney jadney@vwtype3.org
    > Madison, WI 53711 USA
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Many thanks. I did and same results - with AC adapter plugged into camera
    and not to AC outlet, "battery low" warning comes up. Plug in adapter to
    wall and works fine.

    "rumpledickskin" <bark@the.moon> wrote in message
    > I suggest that someone try to plug in a jack only- do not power the
    > adapter on. There may be a switching problem with the camera's power
    > input jack.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not in
    > a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for me to
    > diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what I
    > find out.
    >
    > After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on the
    > AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

    Hi...

    Dunno how much it matters, if at all... but not
    on the ac receptacle.

    Rather, there's a switch as part of that jack. When you
    insert your plug, it physically pushes the switch open,
    breaking the connection between the battery set and the
    camera. So that the batteries and ac adapter aren't
    paralleled. Naturally it follows that when you remove the
    plug, the "switch" returns to its resting position, so
    that the batteries are once again connected to the camera.

    If you have a stereo and/or headphone set you'll get
    the principle... plug in the headphones and the speakers
    disconnect; remove the plug and the speakers are again
    connected.

    You might try inserting and removing it many times, slowly.
    Perhaps rotating the plug a little while it's inserted.

    I really, really hope that you don't even think about
    dis-assembling your camera. Really. So, if all else
    fails, you might try just a single puff of contact
    cleaner. That jack is an enclosed assembly, spraying
    into it won't be spraying into the camera unless you
    "drown" it.

    So, you might pick up a spray can of contact cleaner
    (in Canada anyway, Radio Shack, about $10 CDN).
    Then holding the camera so the jack is down, give it
    just a single puff into that jack. A tiny, tiny
    amount, a fraction of a second spray. And continuing
    to hold it jack down, immediately insert and remove
    the plug over and over. If the plug is at fault, this
    should clean it up. Leave it air dry overnight, propped
    somehow so it rests plug down. On a sheet of newspaper
    just in case.

    I'm writing from photo.digital, perhaps the sci.electronics
    guys will have better/more advice.

    Take care, and all the best in the new year.

    Ken
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not in
    > a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for me to
    > diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what I
    > find out.
    >
    > After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on the
    > AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

    Hi again...

    Quickly added... for safety sake.

    If you DO decide to do the spray cleaner suggestion,
    then wear glasses while you do it. You'll
    be puffing your shot of cleaner against a very very
    small enclosure, and the risk of it blowing back against
    your eyes is great.

    Particularly holding the camera up so as to spray upward
    into the jack.

    Be cautious. Your eyes are worth much more than any
    camera!

    Ken
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Thanks, Ken. I sure can't see a switch down in there, but will certainly
    give the spray treatment a try.

    Specially thanks for the safety warning.

    And Happy New Year!

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not
    in
    > > a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for
    me to
    > > diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what
    > > find out.
    > >
    > > After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on
    the
    > > AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!
    >
    > Hi...
    >
    > Dunno how much it matters, if at all... but not
    > on the ac receptacle.
    >
    > Rather, there's a switch as part of that jack. When you
    > insert your plug, it physically pushes the switch open,
    > breaking the connection between the battery set and the
    > camera. So that the batteries and ac adapter aren't
    > paralleled. Naturally it follows that when you remove the
    > plug, the "switch" returns to its resting position, so
    > that the batteries are once again connected to the camera.
    >
    > If you have a stereo and/or headphone set you'll get
    > the principle... plug in the headphones and the speakers
    > disconnect; remove the plug and the speakers are again
    > connected.
    >
    > You might try inserting and removing it many times, slowly.
    > Perhaps rotating the plug a little while it's inserted.
    >
    > I really, really hope that you don't even think about
    > dis-assembling your camera. Really. So, if all else
    > fails, you might try just a single puff of contact
    > cleaner. That jack is an enclosed assembly, spraying
    > into it won't be spraying into the camera unless you
    > "drown" it.
    >
    > So, you might pick up a spray can of contact cleaner
    > (in Canada anyway, Radio Shack, about $10 CDN).
    > Then holding the camera so the jack is down, give it
    > just a single puff into that jack. A tiny, tiny
    > amount, a fraction of a second spray. And continuing
    > to hold it jack down, immediately insert and remove
    > the plug over and over. If the plug is at fault, this
    > should clean it up. Leave it air dry overnight, propped
    > somehow so it rests plug down. On a sheet of newspaper
    > just in case.
    >
    > I'm writing from photo.digital, perhaps the sci.electronics
    > guys will have better/more advice.
    >
    > Take care, and all the best in the new year.
    >
    > Ken

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    There are backpacks with solar cells maunted on them.

    > That's right! Know where I can find a 500-ft extension cord?
    >
    > "J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
    > > So now to use the Olympus, you're goping to have to tote an AC supply?
    > >
    > > Figures from that company ...
    > >

    > > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:07:40 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    > > found these unused words floating about:
    > >
    > > >PS -- For others with questions or problems about the C-700, you can
    > > >subscribe to the yahoogroups email list. Lots of very helpful folks
    > > >there....
    > > >
    > > >To subscribe, visit their homepage
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
    > > >
    > > >Fred again
    > > >
    > > >"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message

    > ebay
    > "shipping
    > get
    > universal
    > for

    > batteries
    > same
    > pops

    > > >camera
    > > >out,

    > > >again
    > bad

    > > >May
    > component
    > have

    > > >deal

    > the

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not
    in
    > > a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for
    me to
    > > diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what
    > > find out.
    > >
    > > After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on
    the
    > > AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!
    >

    > Hi again...
    >
    > Quickly added... for safety sake.
    >
    > If you DO decide to do the spray cleaner suggestion,
    > then wear glasses while you do it. You'll
    > be puffing your shot of cleaner against a very very
    > small enclosure, and the risk of it blowing back against
    > your eyes is great.
    >
    > Particularly holding the camera up so as to spray upward
    > into the jack.
    >
    > Be cautious. Your eyes are worth much more than any
    > camera!

    I'd be a good deal more concerned about the camera itself, than my eyes.
    Really, we've been spraying contact cleaner and other aerosols for years.
    Surely we can do it safely.

    OTOH, there are gears and optics inside there. Get some of that stuff on
    there, and results are unpredictable at best.

    I'd take the damn thing apart...damn the torpedoes. Use a maginfier light,
    work slowly, carefully. Take pictures (with another camera of
    course...maybe video) of the disassembly. Digicams are difficult, but not
    impossible, to successfully R&R.

    If I can do my Coolpix--much smaller, I believe than the Oly--he should be
    able to dismantle enough to protect the rest of the camera from overspray
    when cleaning the power jack.

    Still, just cycling the power connector in and out may be all it needs.....

    jak
    > Ken

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Fred wrote:
    > Thanks, Ken. I sure can't see a switch down in there, but will certainly
    > give the spray treatment a try.

    Hi...

    Send me an email if you like; and I'll send you back a small
    picture of the switch idea.

    Ken
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Alkaline AA batteries are your problem. Alkaline batteries are not able to
    supply the high current for a digital camera for very long. There is
    probraly nothing wrong with your camera, it is doing what it should do with
    Alkaline Batteries.

    The best battery to use for a digital camera is equal to or greater than
    1600 MAh NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride). These are rechargeable and cost around
    $10 for a set of 4 batteries. The charger for these batteries, fast charge
    (about 1-2 hours) is about $30.

    Lion batteries are also good for digital cameras.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    > Thanks, TRR.
    >
    > No idea on the current rating of the batteries -- they're garden variety,
    > off the shelf alkaline AA 1.5V. Over the years, I have tried all the major
    > brands with same good results - 100-150 480x640 photos on a set when the
    > camera was working good.
    >
    > And, yes, it did seem like pretty high current to me, too. But the specs
    > say
    > it draws 2100 ma and, snooping around the camera shop, I see that some of
    > the others draw high current too.
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > "TRR" <trrusty@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Just curious..... what is, or was, the milli/amp rating of the batteries
    >> that seemed to fail ? The AC adapter you found puts out a lot more
    >> amps than a same voltage AC transformer for a phone or whatever. Glad
    >> you're gaining on the problem......
    >>
    >> Fred wrote:
    >> > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    >> > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    I appreciate the info and will look into the NiCad's. Not saying you're
    wrong, but how would you explain the fact that for 2 years prior to the
    camera failing, I used alkaline batteries and got 100-150 480x640 photos on
    a set of 4 before having to replace them?

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > Alkaline AA batteries are your problem. Alkaline batteries are not able to
    > supply the high current for a digital camera for very long. There is
    > probraly nothing wrong with your camera, it is doing what it should do
    with
    > Alkaline Batteries.
    >
    > The best battery to use for a digital camera is equal to or greater than
    > 1600 MAh NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride). These are rechargeable and cost
    around
    > $10 for a set of 4 batteries. The charger for these batteries, fast charge
    > (about 1-2 hours) is about $30.
    >
    > Lion batteries are also good for digital cameras.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
    >
    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, TRR.
    > >
    > > No idea on the current rating of the batteries -- they're garden
    variety,
    > > off the shelf alkaline AA 1.5V. Over the years, I have tried all the
    major
    > > brands with same good results - 100-150 480x640 photos on a set when the
    > > camera was working good.
    > >
    > > And, yes, it did seem like pretty high current to me, too. But the specs
    > > say
    > > it draws 2100 ma and, snooping around the camera shop, I see that some
    of
    > > the others draw high current too.
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >
    > > "TRR" <trrusty@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> Just curious..... what is, or was, the milli/amp rating of the
    batteries
    > >> that seemed to fail ? The AC adapter you found puts out a lot more
    > >> amps than a same voltage AC transformer for a phone or whatever. Glad
    > >> you're gaining on the problem......

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Thanks, Ken! You can send it to me at lexmark8792@yahoo.com

    > Fred wrote:
    > > Thanks, Ken. I sure can't see a switch down in there, but will
    certainly
    > > give the spray treatment a try.
    >
    > Hi...
    >
    > Send me an email if you like; and I'll send you back a small
    > picture of the switch idea.
    >
    > Ken

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Another interesting development....

    I took a few photos with the help of the AC adapter. Then unplugged the
    adapter. Turned on the camera and the zoom starting cycling out 1/2-inch,
    then back in 1/2-inch, back and forth.... The power switch had no effect on
    it. Had to open the battery door and break the connection to stop the
    cycling.

    Am I on candid camera??!

    Fred
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:56:17 GMT, "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >Another interesting development....
    >
    >I took a few photos with the help of the AC adapter. Then unplugged the
    >adapter. Turned on the camera and the zoom starting cycling out 1/2-inch,
    >then back in 1/2-inch, back and forth.... The power switch had no effect on
    >it. Had to open the battery door and break the connection to stop the
    >cycling.
    >
    >Am I on candid camera??!
    >
    >Fred

    No, just being Olympussy whipped ...
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    NOT NiCad, NiMh, Nickel Metal Hydride. WalMart sells a fast charger with
    four NiMh batteries for about $25. Buy a second of four NiMh batteries for
    about $10.

    Those are two different batteries. NiCad has a memory and does not retain a
    charge as well as NiMh.

    I have no explanation why you used to get that out of Alkaline AA batteries,
    except maybe you were using CR-V3 lithium batteries instead.

    On page 19 of this Camera manual (loading Batteries).

    This camera uses two CR-V3 lithium battery packs or four AA (R6) NiMH
    batteries, NiCd batteries, alkaline batteries or lithium batteries.

    Important
    CR-V3 lithium batteries cannot be recharged.
    Do not peel off the label from a CR-V3 lithium battery pack.
    Manganese (zinc-carbon) batteries cannot be used.

    The manual also says on page 20:

    Precautions when using batteries
    The amount of power consumed varies considerably depending on the
    operations performed on the digital camera. If you use exhausted
    batteries or alkaline batteries, the camera may turn off without
    displaying the battery level warning (P.15).

    C700UZ manual (10.2MB)
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/c700uz_reference.pdf

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > I appreciate the info and will look into the NiCad's. Not saying you're
    > wrong, but how would you explain the fact that for 2 years prior to the
    > camera failing, I used alkaline batteries and got 100-150 480x640 photos
    on
    > a set of 4 before having to replace them?
    >
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Alkaline AA batteries are your problem. Alkaline batteries are not able
    > > supply the high current for a digital camera for very long. There is
    > > probraly nothing wrong with your camera, it is doing what it should do
    > with
    > > Alkaline Batteries.
    > >
    > > The best battery to use for a digital camera is equal to or greater than
    > > 1600 MAh NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride). These are rechargeable and cost
    > around
    > > $10 for a set of 4 batteries. The charger for these batteries, fast
    charge
    > > (about 1-2 hours) is about $30.
    > >
    > > Lion batteries are also good for digital cameras.
    > >
    > > --
    > > CSM1
    > > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > > --
    > >
    > > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks, TRR.
    > > >
    > > > No idea on the current rating of the batteries -- they're garden
    > variety,
    > > > off the shelf alkaline AA 1.5V. Over the years, I have tried all the
    > major
    > > > brands with same good results - 100-150 480x640 photos on a set when
    the
    > > > camera was working good.
    > > >
    > > > And, yes, it did seem like pretty high current to me, too. But the
    specs
    > > > say
    > > > it draws 2100 ma and, snooping around the camera shop, I see that some
    > of
    > > > the others draw high current too.
    > > >
    > > > Fred
    > > >
    > > > "TRR" <trrusty@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > batteries
    Glad

    > who

    > batteries.]

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:10:54 GMT "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    wrote:

    >After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on the
    >AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

    Looking back, I don't think I was clear on my suggested failure mode.
    I was thinking that there might be an extra contact in the AC adaptor
    jack (an "open circuit jack") that would open and close every time you
    inserted the AC adaptor.

    It's just possible that they used this contact to provide power in the
    absence of the adaptor, but if the contact got resistive, then this
    "resistor" would be in series with your batteries, and would make them
    look discharged.

    Just inserting the AC adaptor plug a few times, or maybe just once,
    would have exercised this contact and broken thru the insulating oxide
    layer, fixing your problem.

    I don't know how realistic it is, but at least it fits your
    observations.

    If I'm right, you don't have to do anything else for a few more years.
    Then, when you have the problem again, just insert the AC adaptor plug
    in the camera jack a few times and you should get a fresh start. I
    wouldn't do ANYTHING else.

    -
    Jim Adney jadney@vwtype3.org
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Thanks for the explanation and the websites.

    FWIW, checked my battery stock and all are standard alkaline batteries - not
    lithium batteries, etc. Looking at the alkaline batteries, I don't see
    anywhere what the current rating is - one is Panasonic "made for digital
    cameras", others I have here (new) are Energizer, Ever Ready.

> [...]
    > on
    > > a set of 4 before having to replace them?
    > >
    > > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Alkaline AA batteries are your problem. Alkaline batteries are not
    able
    > > > supply the high current for a digital camera for very long. There is
    > > > probraly nothing wrong with your camera, it is doing what it should do
    > > with
    > > > Alkaline Batteries.
    > > >
    > > > The best battery to use for a digital camera is equal to or greater
    than
    > > > 1600 MAh NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride). These are rechargeable and cost
    > > around
    > > > $10 for a set of 4 batteries. The charger for these batteries, fast
    > charge
    > > > (about 1-2 hours) is about $30.
    > > >
    > > > Lion batteries are also good for digital cameras.

  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Thanks, Jim. I did try this - several times, and have since plugged the
    adapter in and out many times taking photos using it. Still the same
    problem with the camera not recognizing good batteries thought. Thanks -
    appreciate the advice.

    Fred

    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:10:54 GMT "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on
    the
    > >AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!
    >
    > Looking back, I don't think I was clear on my suggested failure mode.
    > I was thinking that there might be an extra contact in the AC adaptor
    > jack (an "open circuit jack") that would open and close every time you
    > inserted the AC adaptor.
    >
    > It's just possible that they used this contact to provide power in the
    > absence of the adaptor, but if the contact got resistive, then this
    > "resistor" would be in series with your batteries, and would make them
    > look discharged.
    >
    > Just inserting the AC adaptor plug a few times, or maybe just once,
    > would have exercised this contact and broken thru the insulating oxide
    > layer, fixing your problem.
    >
    > I don't know how realistic it is, but at least it fits your
    > observations.
    >
    > If I'm right, you don't have to do anything else for a few more years.
    > Then, when you have the problem again, just insert the AC adaptor plug
    > in the camera jack a few times and you should get a fresh start. I
    > wouldn't do ANYTHING else.
    >
    > -
    > Jim Adney jadney@vwtype3.org
    > Madison, WI 53711 USA
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Now I'm confused. Earlier you wrote:

    >Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only again
    >and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    >message.

    I took this to mean that the problem had gone away.

    -
    Jim Adney jadney@vwtype3.org
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:56:17 GMT, "Fred"
    <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

    >Another interesting development....
    >
    >I took a few photos with the help of the AC adapter. Then unplugged the
    >adapter. Turned on the camera and the zoom starting cycling out 1/2-inch,
    >then back in 1/2-inch, back and forth.... The power switch had no effect on
    >it. Had to open the battery door and break the connection to stop the
    >cycling.
    >
    >Am I on candid camera??!
    >
    >Fred

    Sounds like your voltage regulator circuit has a bad component such
    as a leaky capacitor or defective zener diode.

    PJ
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    "PJx" <me@privacy.com> wrote in message

    > Sounds like your voltage regulator circuit has a bad component such
    > as a leaky capacitor or defective zener diode.

    Actually, in this case, it turned out to be something simpler - the
    adapter/battery switch in the ac adapter plug on the camera had an oxided
    coated on it. A little exercise and it wore the oxide off.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3876723845&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
    > posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.
    >

    > I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on ebay
    > and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10 "shipping
    > and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to get
    > and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a universal
    > job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine for
    > the C700 and my other junk too.
    >
    > First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline batteries
    > only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough, same
    > problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message pops
    > up.
    >
    > Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the
    > camera
    > works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom
    > out,
    > click, click, click, click, click....
    >
    > Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only
    > again
    > and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
    > message.
    >
    > Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.
    > May
    > be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
    > somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may have
    > temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
    > battery-only.
    >
    > Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
    > batteries and report back.
    >
    > Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
    > several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great
    > deal
    > of knowledge about how these things work.
    >
    > And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and the
    > "just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
    > comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)
    >
    > Fred

Cameras Photo Electronic Peripherals