Video Tripods

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I would like your advice on the main features you should
look for when selecting a video tripod for consumer use,
that is, non-professional use. I would like to use the tripod
for holiday videos and the occasional filming of indoor
functions. I have heard that Manfrotto produce good video
tripods with 360 degree pan, spirit level, 45 degree tilt up
and 90 degree down (such as the ART 136 Junior Video
Head). I don't want to spend more than $200 - $300, so
I know this rules out several of the video tripods that have
the more advanced features.

Are there any brands in addition to Manfrotto that would be
worth looking at for video filming? Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I have a Bogen (old name for Manfrotto) that works for me .. but a *lot*
depends on how heavy your camera is and how much steadyness you desire and
smoothness of the fluid head you want.

The heavier the camera the bigger (more expensive) the tripod/head combo
you'll need.

I'd go with as much as you can afford. A good tripod is an investment that
will payback many times.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

In rec.video.desktop Greg <greg@tripodforgreg.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Richard for your advice, I agree that it is important to go
for a decent tripod in the first instance. I found quite a good
article on tripods here:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/tripod

After looking around at a few tripods, I found that Sony have
some with built in remote controls on the pan handle that
cover both video and still camera functions, such as zoom
in and out, photo button for stills, and a recording standby
switch. I think this is a good idea because I think you
would be more likely to move the tripod slightly if you
use the controls on the camcorder itself. However, I
guess it would be even better to use the camcorder's remote
commander, provided that someone else wasn't also using
a similar camera that could be affected by these infrared
radio commands!

"Richard G Amirault" <amirault@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message
> I have a Bogen (old name for Manfrotto) that works for me .. but a *lot*
> depends on how heavy your camera is and how much steadyness you desire and
> smoothness of the fluid head you want.
>
> The heavier the camera the bigger (more expensive) the tripod/head combo
> you'll need.
>
> I'd go with as much as you can afford. A good tripod is an investment that
> will payback many times.
>
> Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I would strongly suggest the Libec TH-M20 as a starter tripod for
smaller DV cameras. You can get one for $180 at BHPhoto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=131444&is=REG

It has an excellent ball head that is much smoother than the cheap
Sonys or Bogens. The legs are not terribly strong (so its only good
for smaller cameras).

I've had one for several years and it has held up surprisingly well.
The current model comes with a larger ball and a case so its an even
better deal.

You can always add a Lanc controller if you want.

I don't think any tripod under $500 can be taken too seriously.

Now I'm trying to find a tripod for less than $1000 that's worth
upgrading to myself. I just looked at a pile yesterday at DV Expo and
B&H. I like the Sachtler SYSTEM DV-1 at $600 and the Libec LS-50 at
$800, but I am really hesitant to buy something with a floor spreader.
I'm often trying to position it on uneven surfaces. Any opinions on
the Cartoni ActionPro line?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Greg:

A few things to consider before you purchase a Sony tripod:

1) They are very light-weight, and tend to 'move" in use.
2) Their 'fluid heads" are far from fluid.
3) The most recent one which I have has counter-intuitive zoom
controls. If you press the rocker switch forward (normally zoom to
telephoto) you will actually zoom to wide-angle! Their older ones
zoomed the correct way, just like the zoom control on a typical
camcorder. If you are used to pressing forward to zoom to telephoto,
it can be very frustrating to forget and accidently zoom to
wide-angle.

I still have 3 Sony tripods, but I cut one down to use as a traveling
tripod, where it had to be small enough to fit in an airliine-legal
bag, and even an unsteady tripod was better than nothing. The other
two are unused, since I removed their pan levers and re-installed them
on two Bogen tripods to provide Lanc control on the better tripods.
Unfortunately, the two older ones came out before Sony put the "photo"
button on them, while the most recent one has the photo button, but is
the one which zooms counter-intuitively!

Perhaps Sony has rectified their mistake by now? They also make a
small unit which attaches to any standard tripod pan lever, and I
believe it has the photo button. I have seen pictures of it, but have
never seen one up close and personal. As I recall it is around $100.

"Greg" <greg@tripodforgreg.com> wrote in message news:<aHCJc.8664$NA1.795976@news02.tsnz.net>...

> After looking around at a few tripods, I found that Sony have
> some with built in remote controls on the pan handle that
> cover both video and still camera functions, such as zoom
> in and out, photo button for stills, and a recording standby
> switch. I think this is a good idea because I think you
> would be more likely to move the tripod slightly if you
> use the controls on the camcorder itself. However, I
> guess it would be even better to use the camcorder's remote
> commander, provided that someone else wasn't also using
> a similar camera that could be affected by these infrared
> radio commands!

Someone

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I think the Libecs are OK as a fixed tripod but terrible if you need to pan
with them. They wobble when you release the lock. Their problems is that
they have no separate lock and drag control.

As your only tripod, they may not be what you want even though they are
better than the Sonys.

"Bill Ball" <ball@tcnj.edu> wrote in message
> I would strongly suggest the Libec TH-M20 as a starter tripod for
> smaller DV cameras. You can get one for $180 at BHPhoto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=131444&is=REG

> It has an excellent ball head that is much smoother than the cheap
> Sonys or Bogens. The legs are not terribly strong (so its only good
> for smaller cameras).
>
> I've had one for several years and it has held up surprisingly well.
> The current model comes with a larger ball and a case so its an even
> better deal.
>
> You can always add a Lanc controller if you want.
>
> I don't think any tripod under $500 can be taken too seriously.
>
> Now I'm trying to find a tripod for less than $1000 that's worth
> upgrading to myself. I just looked at a pile yesterday at DV Expo and
> B&H. I like the Sachtler SYSTEM DV-1 at $600 and the Libec LS-50 at
> $800, but I am really hesitant to buy something with a floor spreader.
> I'm often trying to position it on uneven surfaces. Any opinions on
> the Cartoni ActionPro line?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

"Greg" <greg@tripodforgreg.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> ... However, I
> guess it would be even better to use the camcorder's remote
> commander, provided that someone else wasn't also using
> a similar camera that could be affected by these infrared
> radio commands!

<SNIP>

It's not radio, it's infrared light, so it won't be affected by another
remote unless it's both very close to your camera and also pointed more
or less right at your camera.

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

"mikep76" <sandyprice@msn.com> wrote in message
> Greg:
>
> A few things to consider before you purchase a Sony tripod:
>
> 1) They are very light-weight, and tend to 'move" in use.
> 2) Their 'fluid heads" are far from fluid.
> 3) The most recent one which I have has counter-intuitive zoom
> controls. If you press the rocker switch forward (normally zoom to
> telephoto) you will actually zoom to wide-angle! Their older ones
> zoomed the correct way, just like the zoom control on a typical
> camcorder. If you are used to pressing forward to zoom to telephoto,
> it can be very frustrating to forget and accidently zoom to
> wide-angle.

snip

Thanks Mike for these comments. I looked at the Sony Tripod VCT-870RM
and this one has the forward zoom to wide angle, most unusual! It seems
to be a reasonably sturdy tripod for general use. Sony also showed me the
small control unit (which has several video and still camera functions), but
the rocker switch was quite a bit smaller than the one on the VCT-870RM.
I understand this unit provides Lanc control so it will probably work with
many brands of camcorders. Because I want a tripod that I can also use on
holiday, I don't mind one that it is not too heavy, provided it can give me
a noticeably better result than my hand-held efforts! Perhaps even a mono
pod might be suitable for taking on holiday, has anyone had experience
with these, would they be much of an improvement over hand-held
movie making?

Greg

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Greg:

Actually, I believe only Sony and Canon camcorders utilize the Lanc
protocol. Panasonic has their own, JVC yet another protocol, etc. If
you want Lanc protocol, you had better be happy with Sony and Canon
;-)

On the other hand, if you use either Sony or Canon, you are going to
be frustrated with the counter-intuitive zoom control on the Sony
tripod. Also, did you look closely at the small control unit? Are
you sure the "rocker" switch is not a "slide" switch? And does the
zoom control, whatever type it is, operate in the proper intuitive
manner? If so, I would go for the small unit, because that tripod pan
lever is going to bite you in the backside on some critical zoom out
that turns out to be a zoom in (or visa versa). Unfortunately, I have
several scars on my backside from that very problem ;-(

Also, do you have the Sony part number and price for that small unit?