Judging by the posts in this group it would appear that a lot of you
guys think the more money you spend on fancy whiz-bang equipment, the
more bells and whistles your editor has, the more you sit at the feet of
Mike Kubida and soak in his wondrous jabber about how many angels can
fit on the head of a pin, the better your movies will be.

This isn't the case.

Quality movies aren't about special effects. Quality movies are about
quality writing.

Set down, write a quality script. That's your quality movie.

Then hand it off to some video editor sweat hog -- or better yet, edit
it yourself in Windows Movie Maker2.

If it has any real quality it will rise to the top. If not, you can join
Mike and the rest of the legion of wedding photographers here.

prof marvel
--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

Prof Marvel wrote:
> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>> And he still can't spell my name right :-(
>>
>> Mike KUJBIDA
>

> More prove the man hasn't a clue.
>
> prof marvel

And this is "prove" that you're a writer? I think not.

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Prof Marvel wrote:
> > Mike Kujbida wrote:
> >> And he still can't spell my name right :-(
> >>
> >> Mike KUJBIDA
> >

> > More prove the man hasn't a clue.
> >
> > prof marvel
>

> And this is "prove" that you're a writer? I think not.
>
> Mike

Mike,

This chick is a cack. Maybe we should ask her out??

Mike Kujbida wrote:
> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
>>Mike Kujbida wrote:
>>
>>>And he still can't spell my name right :-(
>>>
>>>Mike KUJBIDA
>>

>>More prove the man hasn't a clue.
>>
>>prof marvel
>

> And this is "prove" that you're a writer? I think not.
>
> Mike

No, it's proof that you're a wedding photographer.

See, how easy it is for a writer to make you look stupid, Mike, even
when you're right?

The same thing holds true in video. I probably know less than one
percent of what you do about video, yet anything I produce would be more
important than anything you could produce if they gave you 10 million
dollars and the best equipment in the world.

Writing is the thing, son.

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from Prof
Marvel <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com>:

>Quality movies aren't about special effects. Quality movies are about
>quality writing.

I'd agree but as this is a recreational most people like to learn the
'better' packages as an interest rather than producing great quality
movies.

--
Also available in white
How's my posting?

Prof Marvel wrote:
> snip <
> Writing is the thing, son.

Since you have yet to offer any proof that you're actually a writer, it's
obvious that your (just waiting for my big break) job is, like thousands of
starving actors, a waiter - so go back to work now.

Mike

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
>>snip <
>>Writing is the thing, son.
>

> Since you have yet to offer any proof that you're actually a writer, it's
> obvious that your (just waiting for my big break) job is, like thousands of
> starving actors, a waiter - so go back to work now.
>
> Mike

I write humor and I'm the best on the net. I also do stand-up. Now you
may think it's easy writing 10 minutes of jokes strangers will laugh at,
but I assure you it isn't.

I've also got a suitcase full of plays, short-stories, unfinished
novels, telemovies, etc.

If someone came to me and said, "Write me a movie, play, comic bit,
etc," I'd have no trouble doing it.

Right now, I could write 10 jokes about any topic you named and each of
these jokes would be pretty good.

In fact, go to my blog below and look at 10 jokes I wrote a few weeks ago.

Finally, if you'd like to challenge me to a joke-writing contest, I accept.

prof marvel

--

SjT wrote:

> There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from Prof
> Marvel <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com>:
>

>>Quality movies aren't about special effects. Quality movies are about
>>quality writing.
>

> I'd agree but as this is a recreational most people like to learn the
> 'better' packages as an interest rather than producing great quality
> movies.

Pro-consumers are not home movie guys. Nobody spends $700 for a video
editor to make home movies. Pro-consumers are guys looking to make a
couple of thousand dollars for a quick corporate job; or, in time, guys
looking to make the next "Blair Witch Project or Fahrenheit 9/11"

prof marvel

--

Pegasus Support wrote:

> Folks, don't feed the trolls:
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?flame

Yes, for those too stupid make their own reading choice, Pegasus will
help you.

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:23:09 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>Writing is the thing, son.

Without skilled people, your story will always remain on paper, so
writing is just one of the skills involved in making movies.

cheers

-martin-

--
My e-mail address is a frequently changing random one to pollute spammer's
databases. I all encourage you to do the same :)

Martin Heffels wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:23:09 GMT, Prof Marvel
> <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Writing is the thing, son.
>

> Without skilled people, your story will always remain on paper, so
> writing is just one of the skills involved in making movies.
>
> cheers
>
> -martin-

I make the point because everyone I encounter here and in the outside
world seems so blissfully unaware of the importance of writing. 99% of
pro-consumers have never even thought about it. They operate under the
illusion that once they master the behind the camera stuff they'll be
able to produce the next universally acclaimed indie.

Then there are the Mike Kubukis who don't even think this far. These
merry souls think it's grand make getting paid in cheese cake for
shooting somebody's Bar Mitzvar.

In other words, you fellows are narrowly educated. Technical wizardy is
not the best investment of your time, don't believe that load of
baloney. Kubuki knows it all, but he'll be doing weddings and kids'
birthday parties for the rest of his life.

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

Sorry, didn't mean that.

"Prof Marvel" <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Martin Heffels wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:23:09 GMT, Prof Marvel
> > <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Writing is the thing, son.
> >

> > Without skilled people, your story will always remain on paper, so
> > writing is just one of the skills involved in making movies.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > -martin-
> >

> I make the point because everyone I encounter here and in the outside
> world seems so blissfully unaware of the importance of writing. 99% of
> pro-consumers have never even thought about it. They operate under the
> illusion that once they master the behind the camera stuff they'll be
> able to produce the next universally acclaimed indie.
>
> Then there are the Mike Kubukis who don't even think this far. These
> merry souls think it's grand make getting paid in cheese cake for
> shooting somebody's Bar Mitzvar.
>
> In other words, you fellows are narrowly educated. Technical wizardy is
> not the best investment of your time, don't believe that load of
> baloney. Kubuki knows it all, but he'll be doing weddings and kids'
> birthday parties for the rest of his life.
>
> prof marvel
>

> --
> http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/
>
> "The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
> of civilization."
>
> -- Sigmund Freud

So why not tell that to the guys in alt.rec.writers ?

> So why not tell that to the guys in alt.rec.writers ?

Yeah, while he's lecturing everyone about writing he is also demostrating
that he can't read well enough to know what newsgroup he's posting to.

Pete D wrote:
> So why not tell that to the guys in alt.rec.writers ?

Have you finished your homework yet?

Honestly, I don't mind baby-sitting you just as long as I know you've
finished your homework.

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

If your so clever, why are you not rich?

If you are so clever why would you bother posting here?

How come time and time again you prove that you are a troll with no life, no
future and no bloody idea?

If you are so clever then why don't you understand that the people here
don't care about anything you say and know that you a total dickless idiot?
?

Pete D wrote:
> If your so clever, why are you not rich?
>
> If you are so clever why would you bother posting here?
>
> How come time and time again you prove that you are a troll with no life, no
> future and no bloody idea?
>
> If you are so clever then why don't you understand that the people here
> don't care about anything you say and know that you a total dickless idiot?

PLONK...

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

What makes you think any of the people here pay for what they use?

What makes you think that the people here are not prepared to pay big bucks
to do their hobby?

You fat chicks assume way too much.

> SjT wrote:
>
> > There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from Prof
> > Marvel <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com>:
> >

> >>Quality movies aren't about special effects. Quality movies are about
> >>quality writing.
> >

> > I'd agree but as this is a recreational most people like to learn the
> > 'better' packages as an interest rather than producing great quality
> > movies.
> >

> Pro-consumers are not home movie guys. Nobody spends $700 for a video
> editor to make home movies. Pro-consumers are guys looking to make a
> couple of thousand dollars for a quick corporate job; or, in time, guys
> looking to make the next "Blair Witch Project or Fahrenheit 9/11"
>
> prof marvel
>
> --
> http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/
>
> "The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
> of civilization."
>
> -- Sigmund Freud

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:21:04 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>In other words, you fellows are narrowly educated. Technical wizardy is
>not the best investment of your time, don't believe that load of
>baloney.

Whaddaya know. Good story with bad pictures will be forgotten fairly
quick. It takes technical skills to know all the wizardy to make
something outstanding. Go ahead, and shoot your stuff with some
college-kid who just learned to spell mini-DV. Let the rest of us
do our geeky stuff, because at least we know it's worth the time
and effort to learn them, to make better products.

cheers

-martin-

--

Martin Heffels wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:21:04 GMT, Prof Marvel
> <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>In other words, you fellows are narrowly educated. Technical wizardy is
>>not the best investment of your time, don't believe that load of
>>baloney.
>

> Whaddaya know. Good story with bad pictures will be forgotten fairly
> quick. It takes technical skills to know all the wizardy to make
> something outstanding. Go ahead, and shoot your stuff with some
> college-kid who just learned to spell mini-DV. Let the rest of us
> do our geeky stuff, because at least we know it's worth the time
> and effort to learn them, to make better products.
>
> cheers
>
> -martin-

It's a balancing act, but few of you fellows realize that. The geeky
stuff is easy. At some point you have to pull yourself away from it and
say, "Wait a minute. I now know enough to do what I want to do, so let
me do it." This means sitting down, opening a vein and writing a damn
good script.

And you need to take off a year to learn how to do that if you don't
know hot to write.

You know, computers are the new drug and we're all becoming addicts.
Computers are just a tool. Learn how to use the tool and move on to the
next thing. Don't spend your life sitting in front of a computer monitor.

All this occurred to me as a I was learning Movie Maker. I had invested
all the time and expense in learning Adobe Premier and then I said,
"Wait a minute. Movie Maker does everything I need and it took me all of
two days to learn it -- so now it's time to quit and write a damn good
script."

The script is the thing.

Close your editors, put your cameras in the closet, stop wasting your
money on every new whiz-bang they come out with, and sit down and write.
That's the challenge.

Either that or you'll wind-up like Kujbuda: an encyclopedia of useless
knowledge eking out an existence videoing baby showers and bar mitzvahs
for the rest of his life.

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from Prof
Marvel <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com>:

>All this occurred to me as a I was learning Movie Maker. I had invested
>all the time and expense in learning Adobe Premier and then I said,
>"Wait a minute. Movie Maker does everything I need and it took me all of
>two days to learn it -- so now it's time to quit and write a damn good
>script."

Have you any examples of your work online so we can learn from you
o'great one?! ;)

--
Also available in white
How's my posting?

SjT wrote:
> There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from Prof
> Marvel <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com>:
>

>>All this occurred to me as a I was learning Movie Maker. I had invested
>>all the time and expense in learning Adobe Premier and then I said,
>>"Wait a minute. Movie Maker does everything I need and it took me all of
>>two days to learn it -- so now it's time to quit and write a damn good
>>script."
>

> Have you any examples of your work online so we can learn from you
> o'great one?! ;)

You've got to be pretty hopeless if you don't know how to find what you
need on the net.

prof marvel

--
http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/

"The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
of civilization."

-- Sigmund Freud

Thats right, oh and by the way you should grammar and spell check your pages
because even bad stuff like yours lokks even stupider when it has stupid
mistakes.

> SjT wrote:
> > There's nothing i like more than finding a love letter from Prof
> > Marvel <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com>:
> >

> >>All this occurred to me as a I was learning Movie Maker. I had invested
> >>all the time and expense in learning Adobe Premier and then I said,
> >>"Wait a minute. Movie Maker does everything I need and it took me all of
> >>two days to learn it -- so now it's time to quit and write a damn good
> >>script."
> >

> > Have you any examples of your work online so we can learn from you
> > o'great one?! ;)
> >

> You've got to be pretty hopeless if you don't know how to find what you
> need on the net.
>
> prof marvel
>
> --
> http://www.cincyvoice.blogspot.com/
>
> "The first human to hurl an insult instead of a stone, was the founder
> of civilization."
>
> -- Sigmund Freud

"Prof Marvel" <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote ...

> Judging by the posts in this group it would appear that a lot of you
> guys think the more money you spend on fancy whiz-bang equipment, the
> more bells and whistles your editor has, the more you sit at the feet of
> Mike Kubida and soak in his wondrous jabber about how many angels can
> fit on the head of a pin, the better your movies will be.
>
> This isn't the case.
>
> Quality movies aren't about special effects. Quality movies are about
> quality writing.
>
> Set down, write a quality script. That's your quality movie.
>
> Then hand it off to some video editor sweat hog -- or better yet, edit
> it yourself in Windows Movie Maker2.
>
> If it has any real quality it will rise to the top. If not, you can join
> Mike and the rest of the legion of wedding photographers here.
>
> prof marvel

We may be in total disagreement about the usefulness of Microsoft Movie
Maker (as discussed in an earlier thread), but when it comes to the subject
of quality writing and its importance in making good videos, we are in 100%
agreement.

But of course, as you surely must know, in order to be a good writer, one
might find it helpful to first learn how to form complete sentences. Sadly,
that seems to be a dying art.

Randy