lower end camcorder...

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I was advised that this would be a good group for my question...

Just trying to figure out what's what for a frugal camcorder purchase.

How important is CCD size. I know that with digicams the megapixels determines
clarity, size and cropping of the print. But what does a larger pixel CCD
offer? I noticed some good reviews on Sony Hi8's. On the other hand MiniDV is
supposed to be better right - I found one here http://tinyurl.com/4chgf .

Any comments that can lead me in the right direction here. I imagine most
people have one of these things already. Are there any good FAQs out there
that are current?

Thanks,
Ben

--
"What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

"Ben" <abc@efg.com> wrote in message news:2llmcuFe90qgU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> I was advised that this would be a good group for my question...
>
> Just trying to figure out what's what for a frugal camcorder purchase.
>
> How important is CCD size. I know that with digicams the megapixels
determines
> clarity, size and cropping of the print. But what does a larger pixel CCD
> offer?

There are two factors to consider with respect to CCDs -- (1) physical size,
and (2) pixel density. The smaller the CCD, physically, the poorer the
low-light performance. Similarly, the higher the pixel density, the poorer
the low-light performance. Some, but not all, camcorders take advantage of
the higher pixel density by subsampling, i.e. using more than one triad of
sensors per pixel. The lower end camcorder will not, however.

> I noticed some good reviews on Sony Hi8's. On the other hand MiniDV is
> supposed to be better right - I found one here http://tinyurl.com/4chgf .

Hi8 offers approximately 400 lines of resolution. MiniDV offers between 500
and 525 (depending on the camera). However, both of these figures are for
optimal configurations. The optics will, to a great extent, determine image
quality. You'll also find that Hi8 is more drop-out prone than miniDV.

> Any comments that can lead me in the right direction here. I imagine most
> people have one of these things already. Are there any good FAQs out
there
> that are current?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
>
> Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
> 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
> connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

I definitely find the MiniDV higher quality than high8. We have two of
each. The second MiniDV is a cheap one, a backup for our good camera.

We bought a Canon ZR85. Love the thing. We went with the 80 rather
than the cheaper 70 because we wanted analog passthrough for downloading
the Hi8 tapes. If you don't worry about passthrough (encoding without
dubbing to a DV tape first), then you can save $100 and get a ZR 80.
While both cameras have a still shot feature, it is not as good as with
my normal digicam, so I have never used it for that.

Anyway, I certainly endorse the Canon ZR series as small, low cost high
video quality cameras.

Ben wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was advised that this would be a good group for my question...
>
> Just trying to figure out what's what for a frugal camcorder purchase.
>
> How important is CCD size. I know that with digicams the megapixels determines
> clarity, size and cropping of the print. But what does a larger pixel CCD
> offer? I noticed some good reviews on Sony Hi8's. On the other hand MiniDV is
> supposed to be better right - I found one here http://tinyurl.com/4chgf .
>
> Any comments that can lead me in the right direction here. I imagine most
> people have one of these things already. Are there any good FAQs out there
> that are current?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
>
> Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
> 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
> connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

Ben <abc@efg.com> wrote in message news:<2llmcuFe90qgU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hello,
>
> I was advised that this would be a good group for my question...
>
> Just trying to figure out what's what for a frugal camcorder purchase.
>
> How important is CCD size. I know that with digicams the megapixels determines
> clarity, size and cropping of the print. But what does a larger pixel CCD
> offer? I noticed some good reviews on Sony Hi8's. On the other hand MiniDV is
> supposed to be better right - I found one here http://tinyurl.com/4chgf .
>
> Any comments that can lead me in the right direction here. I imagine most
> people have one of these things already. Are there any good FAQs out there
> that are current?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

I have a great starter camera for sale on eBay, it is a Digital8 (Sony
trv-240), so it is better quality than a Hi8, but it records on a Hi8
tape. I also have a MiniDV camera for sale (panasonic pv-gs50s), both
are good, but the MiniDV is best.

You will probably be able to get the sony for $200, but the Panasonic
will probably go for $300...

the sony: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3827952388&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

the panasonic: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3827964266&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

good luck finding a suitable camera!