Win Movie Maker just disappears (and other problems)

I've been trying to get Movie Maker to work properly, but am having a heck of
a time with it. The main problem I'm having is that often, when I go to drag
transitions down in-between clips, the entire utility simply goes away--POOF!

The other problem I'm having is a little more complicated. I have two film
clips that I've uploaded from my DV camera to my computer, using Win Movie
Maker. Both files are about 15 minutes long, and are accessible on my
computer through WMM. I imported each of them in turn, and cut them up into
clips of various lengths, which I renamed and saved; each longer clip has
been cut into maybe 15 short clips. I can see these clips in the folder when
I go to OPEN-->VIEW ALL FILES, but *not* when I try to just view the WMM
files; they won't show up. When I select them in the OPEN menu and try to
open them in WMM, I get an error message saying that WMM doesn't support
those types of files! But when I go to the folder and view the properties of
each file, they are described as being WMM files!

All I want to be able to do is to open up these 30 files and arrange them as
desired in the storyboard, insert transitions, and make a movie with them.
Any advice as to how to get the WMM utility to do what it's supposed to would
be greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference, my machine is a HP
Pavilion running WinXP. Thanks in advance!

see below

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"rch427" <rch427@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to get Movie Maker to work properly, but am having a heck
> of
> a time with it. The main problem I'm having is that often, when I go to
> drag
> transitions down in-between clips, the entire utility simply goes
> away--POOF!

Which version are you running? If it's MM2.1, then go to tools > Options >
compatibility and try unchecking the items listed. If it's Version 2, tehn
look at www.papajohn.org hangs and crashes.

> The other problem I'm having is a little more complicated. I have two
> film
> clips that I've uploaded from my DV camera to my computer, using Win Movie
> Maker. Both files are about 15 minutes long, and are accessible on my
> computer through WMM. I imported each of them in turn, and cut them up
> into
> clips of various lengths, which I renamed and saved; each longer clip has
> been cut into maybe 15 short clips. I can see these clips in the folder
> when
> I go to OPEN-->VIEW ALL FILES, but *not* when I try to just view the WMM
> files; they won't show up. When I select them in the OPEN menu and try to
> open them in WMM, I get an error message saying that WMM doesn't support
> those types of files! But when I go to the folder and view the properties
> of
> each file, they are described as being WMM files!
>
> All I want to be able to do is to open up these 30 files and arrange them
> as
> desired in the storyboard, insert transitions, and make a movie with them.
> Any advice as to how to get the WMM utility to do what it's supposed to
> would
> be greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference, my machine is a HP
> Pavilion running WinXP. Thanks in advance!

How did you cut these files? What did you then do with them? To use them
seperately you would have had to save them as seperate dv-avi clips. At
present they will be references to the large file.