5.1 Audio

I bought a set of 5.1 speakers and have them up and running... to a certain
extent.

When a play Half-Life 2 some sound does come out of the rears but not much.
When a character speaks to me I can turn my back to him/her and expect the
speech to come from behind me but it doesn;t seem to. I was also expecting
to here which direction enemies were coming from etc.

I have a Realtek 7.1 sound card, have enabled 5.1 speakers in "Sound Effect
Manager" ( the software installed with [lates] sound card drivers) and have
selected 5.1 ouput in Half Life 2 options.

Any ideas what is wrong? Or maybe my HL2/Realtek doesn't support this sort
of environmnetal audio I'm expecting?

Any ideas?

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 14:33:31 +0100, "elziko" <elziko@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>I bought a set of 5.1 speakers and have them up and running... to a certain
>extent.
>
>When a play Half-Life 2 some sound does come out of the rears but not much.
>When a character speaks to me I can turn my back to him/her and expect the
>speech to come from behind me but it doesn;t seem to. I was also expecting
>to here which direction enemies were coming from etc.
>
>I have a Realtek 7.1 sound card, have enabled 5.1 speakers in "Sound Effect
>Manager" ( the software installed with [lates] sound card drivers) and have
>selected 5.1 ouput in Half Life 2 options.
>
>Any ideas what is wrong? Or maybe my HL2/Realtek doesn't support this sort
>of environmnetal audio I'm expecting?
>
>Any ideas?

open the console & type:
snd_digital_surround 1