AVI file from Premiere is HUGE

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
is
uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
DVD.
The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.

In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.

Does anyone know what gives???

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
> is
> uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
> DVD.
> The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
> I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
> status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
> 21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.

21gb doesn't sound that far off. The file size depends on the resolution and
frame rate, so you can't really have an general 1 hour = 12gb rule.

You can use the HuffyUV codec (lossless) to reduce the size, but lossless
AVIs will always be very big.

> In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
> project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
> same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.
>
> Does anyone know what gives???

You probably captured it using a DV codec, or something like that, which
would have given you a compressed file.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

1036800 bytes / frame for uncompressed. . *29.97 * 60 * 45 I believe.

"Paul" <p_d_burton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
> is
> uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
> DVD.
> The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
> I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
> status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
> 21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.
>
> In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
> project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
> same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.
>
> Does anyone know what gives???

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

You are correct in that Mini DV video is about 12 GB per hour of video. Other
formats can be much bigger than DV video, so make sure you aren't rendering it
in another codec.

"Paul" <p_d_burton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
> is
> uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
> DVD.
> The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
> I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
> status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
> 21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.
>
> In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
> project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
> same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.
>
> Does anyone know what gives???

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Depending upon the frame rate, resolution, etc....

NTSC uncompressed video usually takes about 31 MB / second (~112GB/hr).
(720x480 * 24 bits (RGB) * 29.97 frame rate)

DV video takes about 13GB / hour , or 3.61MB / second.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>>In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
>>project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
>>same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.

Most likely, the prior project simply exported to DV (compressed)
video instead of RAW uncompressed video.

For most purposes, you can get away with DV video input into TMPGENC
for good quality DVD encodings.

Otherwise, you'll need to buy a big HD to fit the uncompressed video....

----

Otherwise, simply frame serve directly from Premiere into TMPGENC.

http://dvd-hq.info/Frameserver.html

After all, you only need the end MPEG-2 file, not the intermediate
uncompressed AVI, so why not simply render directly into TMPGENC from
Premiere?

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

plus uncompressed audio at 192KBytes/sec

"nappy" <no_spam_@sorry.com> wrote in message
> 1036800 bytes / frame for uncompressed. . *29.97 * 60 * 45 I believe.
>

> "Paul" <p_d_burton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
> > is
> > uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
> > DVD.
> > The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
> > I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
> > status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
> > 21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.
> >
> > In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
> > project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
> > same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.
> >
> > Does anyone know what gives???

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Paul" <p_d_burton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
> is
> uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
> DVD.
> The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
> I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
> status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
> 21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.

DV (which is compressed 5:1 in the camera) is ~ 13Gb/hour

Paul wrote:

> I am in the process of exporting a Premiere project as AVI. The output
> is
> uncompressed becasue I intend to use TMPEGenc to create an MPEG2 for a
> DVD.
> The project is about 45 minutes and is 720x480 resolution. However, as
> I write this, the Premiere progress bar indicating the rendering
> status says "72 of 280" and the file being created is approaching
> 21GB. I thought uncompressed AVIs were 12GB per hour.
>
> In another interesting twist, I have previously exported the same
> project to MiniDV and then re-captured it on another PC with all the
> same settings. The captured video was about 8GB.
>
> Does anyone know what gives???

compress to XVID then convert if concerned about file size
--

if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
www.google.com

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:56:36 +0800, PerthMETRO.net <email -at-
perthmetro -dot- net> wrote:

>compress to XVID then convert if concerned about file size

Better than uncompressed video, is to use Huffyuv, which can compres
to 1/3 aprox. without quality losses (it's a lossless codec). If one
needs a somewhat smaller file size, one can go for Mjpeg, specially
when some subsequent editing is involved. If one needs a much smaller
file size, one would go for XviD (way better than DivX).