Video capture device not detected

August 14, 2005 10:52:01 AM

I want to capture analog video from a VCR.

I have Windows Movie Maker open. I have a RCA video and audio cable plugged
in to the VCR. The cable has a specialty AV plug (3 rings on the single
connector) at the other end. The VCR is on and toggled to VCR.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2(D) card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
capability. The IEEE 1394 port has previously worked for capturing digital
video from a camcorder. I have verified that the "WMD Video for windows
Capture Driver (WIN 32)" is present and working.

I have plugged the cable's specialty AV plug end into the yellow port on the
Sound blaster card. Is this the correct port? The ports from right to left
are orange, blue, pink, green, black, yellow, IEEE six prong. I have tried
all of the colored ports without success.

When I click "Capture from video device" in Windows Movie Maker, I get " A
video capture device was not detected. Verify a device is turned on and
connected properly, and then try again."

I also have avilable a RCA cable with yellow, red, white on both ends, but
the sound blaster card will not accept RCA plugs.

How can I get the Windows Movie Maker Video Capture Wizard to open without
getting the "capture device not detected" message?
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 12:19:02 PM

Not sure I understand what your doing. You cannot just hook some wires up to
an audio card or a IEEE 1394 input from a VCR and capture video.
Furthermore, trying a connector designed for a different input into any port
(audio card or whatever) is not a good idea. It has the potential; of
causing damage.

You need some type of a Video capture device to capture the Video from the
VCR to import it into Moviemaker
Please take a look here for some information

http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Dick T." <Dick T.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to capture analog video from a VCR.
>
> I have Windows Movie Maker open. I have a RCA video and audio cable
> plugged
> in to the VCR. The cable has a specialty AV plug (3 rings on the single
> connector) at the other end. The VCR is on and toggled to VCR.
>
> I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2(D) card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
> capability. The IEEE 1394 port has previously worked for capturing digital
> video from a camcorder. I have verified that the "WMD Video for windows
> Capture Driver (WIN 32)" is present and working.
>
> I have plugged the cable's specialty AV plug end into the yellow port on
> the
> Sound blaster card. Is this the correct port? The ports from right to left
> are orange, blue, pink, green, black, yellow, IEEE six prong. I have tried
> all of the colored ports without success.
>
> When I click "Capture from video device" in Windows Movie Maker, I get " A
> video capture device was not detected. Verify a device is turned on and
> connected properly, and then try again."
>
> I also have avilable a RCA cable with yellow, red, white on both ends, but
> the sound blaster card will not accept RCA plugs.
>
> How can I get the Windows Movie Maker Video Capture Wizard to open without
> getting the "capture device not detected" message?

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:32:27 PM

Plus the audigy card is a sound card and would not capture any type of video
signal, except via the firewire.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> Not sure I understand what your doing. You cannot just hook some wires up
> to an audio card or a IEEE 1394 input from a VCR and capture video.
> Furthermore, trying a connector designed for a different input into any
> port (audio card or whatever) is not a good idea. It has the potential; of
> causing damage.
>
> You need some type of a Video capture device to capture the Video from the
> VCR to import it into Moviemaker
> Please take a look here for some information
>
> http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html
>

> --
> Jon Hildrum
> DTS MVP
> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
> www.hildrum.com
> "Dick T." <Dick T.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I want to capture analog video from a VCR.
>>
>> I have Windows Movie Maker open. I have a RCA video and audio cable
>> plugged
>> in to the VCR. The cable has a specialty AV plug (3 rings on the single
>> connector) at the other end. The VCR is on and toggled to VCR.
>>
>> I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2(D) card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
>> capability. The IEEE 1394 port has previously worked for capturing
>> digital
>> video from a camcorder. I have verified that the "WMD Video for windows
>> Capture Driver (WIN 32)" is present and working.
>>
>> I have plugged the cable's specialty AV plug end into the yellow port on
>> the
>> Sound blaster card. Is this the correct port? The ports from right to
>> left
>> are orange, blue, pink, green, black, yellow, IEEE six prong. I have
>> tried
>> all of the colored ports without success.
>>
>> When I click "Capture from video device" in Windows Movie Maker, I get "
>> video capture device was not detected. Verify a device is turned on and
>> connected properly, and then try again."
>>
>> I also have avilable a RCA cable with yellow, red, white on both ends,
>> but
>> the sound blaster card will not accept RCA plugs.
>>
>> How can I get the Windows Movie Maker Video Capture Wizard to open
>> without
>> getting the "capture device not detected" message?

August 15, 2005 11:30:35 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:32:27 +0100, "Graham Hughes"
<graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote:

>Plus the audigy card is a sound card and would not capture any type of video
>signal, except via the firewire.
>
>Graham
I also have the Audigy card with the firewire input. Have not done so
in awhile, but I was able to plug my Sony Hi8 camcorder into this port
and use the Pinnacle Studio software to capture the output from the
camcorder and edit the product into a movie.
mobilelawyer
at your service
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:54:41 AM

Do you mind expanding on how you connected the cam to the sound card and
which settings you used in pinnacle?

Graham

--
Graham Hughes