Is my CPU overloaded?

I have WindowsXP with a Pentium4 1.7Ghz, with 512mb RAM.

When I am downloading and recoding movies (with Nero6) and burning them too,
the CPU indicator gives a reading of about 95/100% usage constantly.

Am I overloading the CPU at this level and if so what can be done about
this?

Is it possible to instal another CPU to run in series/parallel with the
existing one, and so share the load?

Please help, Frank

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>I have WindowsXP with a Pentium4 1.7Ghz, with 512mb RAM.
>
> When I am downloading and recoding movies (with Nero6) and burning them
> too, the CPU indicator gives a reading of about 95/100% usage constantly.
>
> Am I overloading the CPU at this level and if so what can be done about
> this?

No; however your CPU and RAM are on the low end of the scale. If you were
"overloading" our CPU, you would know it. CPU usage above 90% while video
encoding is not in and of itself a problem.
As long as your computer is not locking up or rebooting, you are okay.

> Is it possible to instal another CPU to run in series/parallel with the
> existing one, and so share the load?

No, unless the motherboard in your compter supports the installation of more
than one physical CPU.

You best option is to consult the manula that came with your computer, and
to upgrade it to the maximum amount of RAM it will support. Since you have
an older computer, it may only support 1GB og RAM. In your instance, the
more RAM the better.

Bobby

Thanks, I can put in some more RAM since there are some free slots.