Edges of converted vob-to-avi files

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2004 10:05:08 PM

Hi :)
I use "DVD to VCD AVI DivX Converter 3.2" to convert from VOB to AVI format
with the Divx 5.2 codec. I have a problem:
The frame of the converted video does not reach on the left and right side
the edge of my monitor screen. How can I solve the problem?
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 10:05:09 PM

> Hi :)
> I use "DVD to VCD AVI DivX Converter 3.2" to convert from VOB to AVI
format
> with the Divx 5.2 codec. I have a problem:
> The frame of the converted video does not reach on the left and right side
> the edge of my monitor screen. How can I solve the problem?

Encode it to the correct size. What size are you encoding to now?
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 11:08:21 PM

"Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi :)
> > I use "DVD to VCD AVI DivX Converter 3.2" to convert from VOB to AVI
> format
> > with the Divx 5.2 codec. I have a problem:
> > The frame of the converted video does not reach on the left and right
side
> > the edge of my monitor screen. How can I solve the problem?
>
> Encode it to the correct size. What size are you encoding to now?

Ratio Convert: None (letterbox 4/3)
Video resolution: 352 x 288
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 11:11:38 PM

"Stephan Kies" <stephkies@nonono.de> wrote in message
> "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Hi :)
> > > I use "DVD to VCD AVI DivX Converter 3.2" to convert from VOB to AVI
> > format
> > > with the Divx 5.2 codec. I have a problem:
> > > The frame of the converted video does not reach on the left and right
> side
> > > the edge of my monitor screen. How can I solve the problem?
> >
> > Encode it to the correct size. What size are you encoding to now?
>
> Ratio Convert: None (letterbox 4/3)
> Video resolution: 352 x 288

That's why. For proper display on a PC minitor, it needs to be 384x288.
352x288 is for VCD and display on a TV set.
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 11:21:53 PM

"Stephan Kies" <stephkies@nonono.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Ratio Convert: None (letterbox 4/3)
> Video resolution: 352 x 288

Or do you mean the Divx settings?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:05:55 PM

> "Stephan Kies" <stephkies@nonono.de> wrote in message
> > Ratio Convert: None (letterbox 4/3)
> > Video resolution: 352 x 288
>
> That's why. For proper display on a PC minitor, it needs to be 384x288.
> 352x288 is for VCD and display on a TV set.

I have set the cropping settings of Divx to 20 above and below the image and
the problem disappeared. Now I have two problems:
1. The converted sequences are not fluent. It seems that some frames are
omitted.
2. The subtitles are not cleared but fused.
Has someone an answer?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 5:07:14 PM

> I have set the cropping settings of Divx to 20 above and below the image
and
> the problem disappeared. Now I have two problems:

Don't crop. You will loose part of the picture, and you will most likely get
the wrong aspect ratio for viewing on a PC. Resize to a proper 4:3
resolution. 640x480, 512x384, 384x288, 320x240.

> 1. The converted sequences are not fluent. It seems that some frames are
> omitted.

You might be performing an IVTC on material that isn't sutable. That would
cause missing frames.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 7:25:41 PM

> > 1. The converted sequences are not fluent. It seems that some frames are
> > omitted.
>
> You might be performing an IVTC on material that isn't sutable. That would
> cause missing frames.

What is an IVTC? How can I avoid it?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 10:49:43 PM

> > > 1. The converted sequences are not fluent. It seems that some frames
are
> > > omitted.
> >
> > You might be performing an IVTC on material that isn't sutable. That
would
> > cause missing frames.
>
> What is an IVTC? How can I avoid it?

You need to know when to use it and when not to. Read up on it on the web,
there is loads of info. IVTC basically takes film material that has been
telecined to 29.97 fps and converts it back to its original 23.976 fps, as
it should be.

However, if you perform IVTC on material that is supposed to be 29.97 fps,
such as home video, sports, talk shows, etc, you will loose every 1/5
frames, which results in jerky motion. I am not familiar with the software
you use, so I couldn't tell you how to disable it, if that is indeed what's
causing your problem.

If you are converting a movie, chances are your problem is caused by
de-interlacing where you should have been IVTC'ing. Confused yet? :-)
!