Looking for a card to decode HighDef video

Hi,

I am looking for a video card that can decode high definition video. I
can use vic (http://www.videolan.org) decode and play the file in
software but the CPU is pegged at 100% and I can't do much else.

A few video cards claim to do MPEG decoding but none of them say that
they can handle a high-def stream.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
- Harshal

mumbaiyaa@yahoo.com (Harshal) wrote:
> I am looking for a video card that can decode high definition video. I
> can use vic (http://www.videolan.org) decode and play the file in
> software but the CPU is pegged at 100% and I can't do much else.

ATI RADEON 7000 and later and particularly 8500 and later, and the
NVidia GeForce4 440MX and FX series have hardware support for
HD playback and drivers that expose that support through Microsoft's
DxVA API. MPEG-2 players from NVidia and Intervideo are said to
work well with DxVA, but I have no experience with them. (I use
the DVICO FusionHDTV DxVA drivers, but they require you have the
FusionHDTV card.)

I don't believe VLC has DxVA support at this time.