Novice needs help with purchasing video equipment

I know very little about video editing so I will give you the basics
of what I will need and then I would ask for suggestions on what
products to buy.

What I need is an external capture device and software to do the
following.

Be able to take 8MM video, save it to the PC and then burn to a VCD
and have that VCD play with windows media player.

This has to be as simple a process as possible because the people
doing the transfer of 8MM to VCD are not familiar at all with the
process, so we need to keep it simple. Don't need a lot of bells or
whistles, just an external capture device and software that will save
the 8MM video as MPEGI or MPEG2 and be able to play on Windows Media
player and be able to burn to a VCD.

I have been looking at Pinnacles Dazzle 150 capture device with
Pinnacle Studio QuickStart but then I read a couple of reviews on
Quickstart that turned me off, saying the software was extremely
buggy. We don't need that.

The PC's we will be using have enough processing power, memeory and
hardrive space to do the transfers. The PC's however do not have a
capture card installed, hence the need for an external device.
Additionally in the future we will be upgrading to digital cams and
the capture and software also has to work with digital.

Want to keep the price $150.00 or lower.

Thanks for any suggestions.
8 answers Last reply
More about novice purchasing video equipment

    On 16 Jul 2004 12:45:10 -0700, lojobe@hotmail.com (lou) wrote:
    >Be able to take 8MM video, save it to the PC and then burn to a VCD
    >and have that VCD play with windows media player.

    Read the hardware/software reviews here http://www.videohelp.com/

    Also read the HOW TO section

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    John Thomas Smith <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<4vngf09ervd02e9sb20nt5p66q6554pk5m@4ax.com>...
    > On 16 Jul 2004 12:45:10 -0700, lojobe@hotmail.com (lou) wrote:
    > >Be able to take 8MM video, save it to the PC and then burn to a VCD
    > >and have that VCD play with windows media player.
    >
    > Read the hardware/software reviews here http://www.videohelp.com/
    >
    > Also read the HOW TO section
    >

    > John Thomas Smith
    > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    I have been to that site and it only confuses me more then I already
    am.

    Would someone please offer some advice on the software/hardware needed
    to tranfer 8mm to VCD and what brands are best and easiest to use?

    Thanks again.

    "lou" wrote ...
    > I have been to that site and it only confuses me more then
    > I already am.
    >
    > Would someone please offer some advice on the software/
    > hardware needed to tranfer 8mm to VCD and what brands
    > are best and easiest to use?

    Yes, videohelp is like sipping from a fire-hose, but if you
    don't want to slog through all that info, maybe you don't
    want to even consider the computer method of making
    video disks?

    Easiest to use is a standalone DVD writer, no computer of
    software required. A DVD writer/VHS VCR combo at my
    big-box store (Costco) has dropped to ~$350

    If you want advice on doing it with your computer we need to
    know a few things:
    1) What kind of computer (Mac/PC, vintage, etc.)
    2) What hardware you already have (camcorder? firewire?)
    3) What your proposed budget is for this project.

    "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10fnokua537td0@corp.supernews.com>...
    > "lou" wrote ...
    > > I have been to that site and it only confuses me more then
    > > I already am.
    > >
    > > Would someone please offer some advice on the software/
    > > hardware needed to tranfer 8mm to VCD and what brands
    > > are best and easiest to use?
    >
    > Yes, videohelp is like sipping from a fire-hose, but if you
    > don't want to slog through all that info, maybe you don't
    > want to even consider the computer method of making
    > video disks?
    >
    > Easiest to use is a standalone DVD writer, no computer of
    > software required. A DVD writer/VHS VCR combo at my
    > big-box store (Costco) has dropped to ~$350
    >
    > If you want advice on doing it with your computer we need to
    > know a few things:
    > 1) What kind of computer (Mac/PC, vintage, etc.)
    > 2) What hardware you already have (camcorder? firewire?)
    > 3) What your proposed budget is for this project.

    OK, the company I work for has an ivestigative unit that records
    video's on 8MM camcorder, and FYI they will be upgrading to digital
    camcorders later this year or early next year. They want to put the
    8MM tapes onto CD's for storage purposes.

    They have a pc with XP OS and 256mb memory, 80GB Hard Drives and about
    1.8GHZ processors. The PC's do not have a video capture card, nor do
    they have firewire capability.

    I want to stress simplicity here, we do not need fancy editing, just
    simply transfering the 8MM tape from the camcorder, to the PC and then
    burned to a VCD.

    These people that will be doing the transfering are the people that
    take the video's themselves. THEY ARE NOT TECHIES OR D/V Nuts! They
    less they know about technology the happier they are.

    Do you get what I am saying?

    I will not be doing the transfers, I am just trying to identify and
    buy the products that will make the transfering of 8MM video to VCD as
    simple as possible for the users who will be taking and transfering
    the video's.

    Hence, that is why I am expounding on simplicity here. Don't need
    fancy bells and whistles for titles, and audio, and fades ect.

    Just simple tranfering of 8MM to VCD for current 8MM camcorders, soon
    to be digital camcorders.

    Please, suggestion for easy to use, reliable hardware and software
    products that will do this job with 8MM and later with DV.

    USB or Fireware, whatever is easiest to do and easiest to setup and
    maintain.

    Thanks!!!

    "lou" wrote ...
    > Do you get what I am saying?

    Apparently not. You keep asking about computer solutions, but
    your description of the requirements includes nothing that
    requires any kind of computer enhancements (editing, menus,
    etc.) Is there some reason a simple standalone DVD recorder
    won't do the job?

    > I will not be doing the transfers, I am just trying to identify and
    > buy the products that will make the transfering of 8MM video to
    > VCD as simple as possible for the users who will be taking and
    > transfering the video's.
    >
    > Hence, that is why I am expounding on simplicity here. Don't need
    > fancy bells and whistles for titles, and audio, and fades ect.

    Then it is not clear why you are even considering a computer-
    based solution. Apologies if I missed some other key requirement
    along the way.

    > Just simple tranfering of 8MM to VCD for current 8MM camcorders,
    > soon to be digital camcorders.
    >
    > Please, suggestion for easy to use, reliable hardware and software
    > products that will do this job with 8MM and later with DV.

    NO software. Standalone hardware DVD recorder. It doesn't
    get any simpler than that.

    > USB or Fireware, whatever is easiest to do and easiest to setup and
    > maintain.

    USB vs. Firewire is decided for you by the camcorder (or VCR)
    Almost all current consumer video equipment is Firewire, but USB2
    is making an attempt.

    "lou" <lojobe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
    > > "lou" wrote ...
    > > > I have been to that site and it only confuses me more then
    > > > I already am.
    > > >
    > > > Would someone please offer some advice on the software/
    > > > hardware needed to tranfer 8mm to VCD and what brands
    > > > are best and easiest to use?
    > >
    > > Yes, videohelp is like sipping from a fire-hose, but if you
    > > don't want to slog through all that info, maybe you don't
    > > want to even consider the computer method of making
    > > video disks?
    > >
    > > Easiest to use is a standalone DVD writer, no computer of
    > > software required. A DVD writer/VHS VCR combo at my
    > > big-box store (Costco) has dropped to ~$350
    > >
    > > If you want advice on doing it with your computer we need to
    > > know a few things:
    > > 1) What kind of computer (Mac/PC, vintage, etc.)
    > > 2) What hardware you already have (camcorder? firewire?)
    > > 3) What your proposed budget is for this project.
    >
    > OK, the company I work for has an ivestigative unit that records
    > video's on 8MM camcorder, and FYI they will be upgrading to digital
    > camcorders later this year or early next year. They want to put the
    > 8MM tapes onto CD's for storage purposes.
    >
    > They have a pc with XP OS and 256mb memory, 80GB Hard Drives and about
    > 1.8GHZ processors. The PC's do not have a video capture card, nor do
    > they have firewire capability.
    >
    > I want to stress simplicity here, we do not need fancy editing, just
    > simply transfering the 8MM tape from the camcorder, to the PC and then
    > burned to a VCD.
    >
    > These people that will be doing the transfering are the people that
    > take the video's themselves. THEY ARE NOT TECHIES OR D/V Nuts! They
    > less they know about technology the happier they are.
    >
    > Do you get what I am saying?
    >
    > I will not be doing the transfers, I am just trying to identify and
    > buy the products that will make the transfering of 8MM video to VCD as
    > simple as possible for the users who will be taking and transfering
    > the video's.
    >
    > Hence, that is why I am expounding on simplicity here. Don't need
    > fancy bells and whistles for titles, and audio, and fades ect.
    >
    > Just simple tranfering of 8MM to VCD for current 8MM camcorders, soon
    > to be digital camcorders.
    >
    > Please, suggestion for easy to use, reliable hardware and software
    > products that will do this job with 8MM and later with DV.
    >
    > USB or Fireware, whatever is easiest to do and easiest to setup and
    > maintain.
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    Not sure why you specify VCD and CD rather than DVD. DVD will hold about 6
    times more than VCD or CD.

    Your $150 budget may be difficult to work with.

    Easiest and simplest would be a standalone DVD recorder. Take the outputs
    from the video recorder into the standalone DVD recorder. The prices are
    really coming down probably due to mass production and people seem to be
    snapping them up.

    Rich

    > Not sure why you specify VCD and CD rather than DVD. DVD will hold about
    6
    > times more than VCD or CD.
    >
    > Your $150 budget may be difficult to work with.

    Not just difficult, but possibly unrealistic.

    lou wrote:
    > "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
    >> "lou" wrote ...
    >>> I have been to that site and it only confuses me more then
    >>> I already am.
    >>>
    >>> Would someone please offer some advice on the software/
    >>> hardware needed to tranfer 8mm to VCD and what brands
    >>> are best and easiest to use?
    >>
    >> Yes, videohelp is like sipping from a fire-hose, but if you
    >> don't want to slog through all that info, maybe you don't
    >> want to even consider the computer method of making
    >> video disks?
    >>
    >> Easiest to use is a standalone DVD writer, no computer of
    >> software required. A DVD writer/VHS VCR combo at my
    >> big-box store (Costco) has dropped to ~$350
    >>
    >> If you want advice on doing it with your computer we need to
    >> know a few things:
    >> 1) What kind of computer (Mac/PC, vintage, etc.)
    >> 2) What hardware you already have (camcorder? firewire?)
    >> 3) What your proposed budget is for this project.
    >
    > OK, the company I work for has an ivestigative unit that records
    > video's on 8MM camcorder, and FYI they will be upgrading to digital
    > camcorders later this year or early next year. They want to put the
    > 8MM tapes onto CD's for storage purposes.
    >
    > They have a pc with XP OS and 256mb memory, 80GB Hard Drives and about
    > 1.8GHZ processors. The PC's do not have a video capture card, nor do
    > they have firewire capability.
    >
    > I want to stress simplicity here, we do not need fancy editing, just
    > simply transfering the 8MM tape from the camcorder, to the PC and then
    > burned to a VCD.

    The biggest problem with doing that is the quality will take a huge nose
    dive. If they don't care about that (IMO, a huge mistake because lawyers
    will - I used to handle & process video footage for a law enforcement agency
    and have fought my share of battles in court against them), then just do as
    others have suggested and buy a set top DVD recorder that has analog inputs.
    At least you'll keep most of the original quality that way.

    Mike

    > These people that will be doing the transfering are the people that
    > take the video's themselves. THEY ARE NOT TECHIES OR D/V Nuts! They
    > less they know about technology the happier they are.
    >
    > Do you get what I am saying?
    >
    > I will not be doing the transfers, I am just trying to identify and
    > buy the products that will make the transfering of 8MM video to VCD as
    > simple as possible for the users who will be taking and transfering
    > the video's.
    >
    > Hence, that is why I am expounding on simplicity here. Don't need
    > fancy bells and whistles for titles, and audio, and fades ect.
    >
    > Just simple tranfering of 8MM to VCD for current 8MM camcorders, soon
    > to be digital camcorders.
    >
    > Please, suggestion for easy to use, reliable hardware and software
    > products that will do this job with 8MM and later with DV.
    >
    > USB or Fireware, whatever is easiest to do and easiest to setup and
    > maintain.
    >
    > Thanks!!!

Tuner Cards Video Graphics