Buying a camcorder for the 1st time

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video camera. I
am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such as:
- The best clarity,
- The best zoom,
- Digital editing / picture editing
- LCD screen
- Night vision
- long battery life.

How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus what
length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take them
out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.

You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I used
to always love using other peoples cameras.

Thanks.

What country do you live in? (That determines the models/TV system
available)

What kind of stuff do you want to record? This will have a bearing on which
model.

How much are you willing to spend?

John.

"1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam> wrote in message
> Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video camera.
> am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
> don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such as:
> - The best clarity,
> - The best zoom,
> - Digital editing / picture editing
> - LCD screen
> - Night vision
> - long battery life.
>
> How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus what
> length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take them
> out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
>
> You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I
used
> to always love using other peoples cameras.
>
> Thanks.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi John,
thanks for replying.

I live in Ireland, (Pal format).

I just want to record for private home use... general functions e.g.
parties, weddings etc... However, I want to record wildlife too (thats why
I'd prefer the night shot feature on a camcorder)

I'm gonna have to be a cheapy and spend no more than 600 euro/close to $650.

Is mini-dv one of the better formarts to record on? and can you copy these
recordings from your camcorder to regular VHS through your VCR?

Thank you.

"John Miller" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> What country do you live in? (That determines the models/TV system
> available)
>
> What kind of stuff do you want to record? This will have a bearing on
which
> model.
>
> How much are you willing to spend?
>
> John.
>
> "1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam> wrote in message
> > Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video
camera.
> > am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
> > don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such
as:
> > - The best clarity,
> > - The best zoom,
> > - Digital editing / picture editing
> > - LCD screen
> > - Night vision
> > - long battery life.
> >
> > How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus
what
> > length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take
them
> > out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
> >
> > You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I
> used
> > to always love using other peoples cameras.
> >
> > Thanks.

Hi,

Firstly - format: miniDV. It's in a completed different league than the
older consumer formats. You can easily record from the camcorder to a
separate VHS VCR. Of course, that will result in a lower quality but it
will still be a lot better than if you started with Hi8 etc. Unfortunately,
the EU imposed significant tariffs on "video recorders" and so 99.9% of
camcorders sold in the EU cannot record back to themselves from another
source (e.g., a computer for editing). If you just intend to use a VHS deck
to edit on to, that'll not be an issue. But if you ever want to add
subtitles, music, fade in and out etc, then you'll want to be able to keep
the quality as high as possible and (thanks to Brussels and the tariffs) you
can't do the simple, cheap thing that the rest of the world can (digital in
and out with the camcorder) but will need an analogue video output from a
computer or buy a "widget" that re-enables the record capability of the
camcorder. Just a heads-up for the future.

For wildlife, you'll almost certainly want a decent zoom (don't fall for the
hype of "digital zoom" - since this is just an electronic magnification -
i.e., horrible - rather than due to the lens ("optical zoom") ) and (for
close-up stuff - e.g., insects on flowers etc) a decent macro. If you
choose carefully, you can get a camcorder with a threaded ring on the lens
so that you could attach additional lenses although the choice will be
somewhat limited. You should also consider either image stabilisation or a
tripod (the latter would be much better though a combination of both would
help on a windy day - lots of those in Ireland! - when using zoom).

On final feature that tends to be hard to find these days is some means of
overriding autofocus - either a true manual focus or just a means to turn it
off. At night, for example, the camcorder might struggle to work out what
it should be focussed on and will "hunt" - you'll get momentary glitches of
out-of-focus footage. Most annoying!

I'm afraid I can't help you with model selection other than to say I've
always had good luck with Sony.

> Hi John,
> thanks for replying.
>
> I live in Ireland, (Pal format).
>
> I just want to record for private home use... general functions e.g.
> parties, weddings etc... However, I want to record wildlife too (thats why
> I'd prefer the night shot feature on a camcorder)
>
> I'm gonna have to be a cheapy and spend no more than 600 euro/close to
$650.

> Is mini-dv one of the better formarts to record on? and can you copy these
> recordings from your camcorder to regular VHS through your VCR?
>
> Thank you.
>

> "John Miller" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > What country do you live in? (That determines the models/TV system
> > available)
> >
> > What kind of stuff do you want to record? This will have a bearing on
> which
> > model.
> >
> > How much are you willing to spend?
> >
> > John.
> >
> > "1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam> wrote in message
> > > Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video
> camera.
> > > am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice,
> > > don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such
> as:
> > > - The best clarity,
> > > - The best zoom,
> > > - Digital editing / picture editing
> > > - LCD screen
> > > - Night vision
> > > - long battery life.
> > >
> > > How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus
> what
> > > length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take
> them
> > > out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
> > >
> > > You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I
> > used
> > > to always love using other peoples cameras.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Sony camera usually are the best for the money, but they are usually a
little higher priced than the Canon. Sony frustrate me at times but
when looking for a camera or camcorder I always seem to find what I
want in their line. Definetly worth checking out since they update
models on almost a daily basis. The most useful addition to a
camcorder is a fairly recent computer of better than average specs and
a firewire card installed. Then most DV camcorders will just plug and
capture without any effort. My 1 year old Sony has been absolutly
trouble free and takes beautiful videos if the lighting is good. The
lasted issue by Sony are even better in low light. Would have been
helpful if you let us know your budget.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:51:57 +0100, "1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam>
wrote:

>Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video camera. I
>am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
>don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such as:
>- The best clarity,
>- The best zoom,
>- Digital editing / picture editing
>- LCD screen
>- Night vision
>- long battery life.
>
>How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus what
>length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take them
>out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
>
>You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I used
>to always love using other peoples cameras.
>
>Thanks.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Donald,

thank you for replying. I intend to spend no more than 600euro ($650). I
have seen so many Sony camcorders but wasn't too sure about them because I
sometimes find Sony troublesome, such as my VCR which makes very bad LP
recordings. However, most others things by them seem fine. I am stuck
between Canon, JVC, Sony and Panasonic.

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Sony camera usually are the best for the money, but they are usually a
> little higher priced than the Canon. Sony frustrate me at times but
> when looking for a camera or camcorder I always seem to find what I
> want in their line. Definetly worth checking out since they update
> models on almost a daily basis. The most useful addition to a
> camcorder is a fairly recent computer of better than average specs and
> a firewire card installed. Then most DV camcorders will just plug and
> capture without any effort. My 1 year old Sony has been absolutly
> trouble free and takes beautiful videos if the lighting is good. The
> lasted issue by Sony are even better in low light. Would have been
> helpful if you let us know your budget.
>
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:51:57 +0100, "1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video camera.
> >am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
> >don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such
as:
> >- The best clarity,
> >- The best zoom,
> >- Digital editing / picture editing
> >- LCD screen
> >- Night vision
> >- long battery life.
> >
> >How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus
what
> >length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take
them
> >out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
> >
> >You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I
used
> >to always love using other peoples cameras.
> >
> >Thanks.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi John,

Thank you so much for that information. It is very much appreciated. I
really feel now that I have something solid to go on.
From what I see my best option is to get a camcorder with mini-dv format,
image stabiliser, optical zoom and good manual focus if possible. Whats the
difference between digital editing and picture editing?

I see some camcorders have features for you to connect to and edit on your
computer. In the Sony range I see one that is over 400euro more just for
having an mpeg feature. I wouldn't need any of that. Is it such features
that make some camcorders far more expensive than others. What would be the
general reason for the wide range of pricing?

> [...]
> > Hi John,
> > thanks for replying.
> >
> > I live in Ireland, (Pal format).
> >
> > I just want to record for private home use... general functions e.g.
> > parties, weddings etc... However, I want to record wildlife too (thats
why
> > I'd prefer the night shot feature on a camcorder)
> >
> > I'm gonna have to be a cheapy and spend no more than 600 euro/close to
> $650.
> >
> > Is mini-dv one of the better formarts to record on? and can you copy
these
> > recordings from your camcorder to regular VHS through your VCR?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "John Miller" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > What country do you live in? (That determines the models/TV system
> > > available)
> > >
> > > What kind of stuff do you want to record? This will have a bearing on

Gerard

CANON XI

"1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam> wrote in message
> Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video camera.
> am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
> don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such as:
> - The best clarity,
> - The best zoom,
> - Digital editing / picture editing
> - LCD screen
> - Night vision
> - long battery life.
>
> How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus what
> length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take them
> out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
>
> You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I
used
> to always love using other peoples cameras.
>
> Thanks.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Let's see, does he mean a "Canon Eleven" or a Canon Ex-Eye"?

dave
;-)

(holding out for an XL2, myself)

"Gerard" <gerardbaron@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> CANON XI
>

> "1971" <nospam@nonono.nospam> wrote in message
> > Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video
camera.
> > am buying for the first time and since there is such a massive choice, I
> > don't know where to start. However, I do know the things I'd like such
as:
> > - The best clarity,
> > - The best zoom,
> > - Digital editing / picture editing
> > - LCD screen
> > - Night vision
> > - long battery life.
> >
> > How do digital cameras record?. I assume VHS is out of date now. Plus
what
> > length are the tapes they use now?. Are they built in or can you take
them
> > out and how can view what you have recorded on a TV?.
> >
> > You see, I know very little about them but I really need one because I
> used
> > to always love using other peoples cameras.
> >
> > Thanks.

> Does anybody have any advice on what would be the best home video camera. I

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/index.html

eg. see http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/cats/cats.html
and other subsections will give you a relative performance by which you
can compare other camcorders against.

---

Basically, more money spent = better image quality, in general, if
you're focusing on the top-rated camcorders made. Otherwise, you may
spend a lot, but not get a great camcorder.

---

3CCD and/or HiDef camcorders will generally give you superior
performance over any single CCD / nonHiDef camcorder.

---

top of the line camcorders such as the entire Canon GL/XL series will
naturally give you great results right away. $2000, but it's affordable
enough for any home user that's serious about making great videos.

---

As for the other requirements, you'll have to read reviews and compare
according to what you prioritize.

---

Pretty much all the good stuff is on DV tapes now; forget about analog
anything. You'll be able to record about 2 hours max (more with
super-thin tapes) on each DV tape; less if you've got a HiDef DV camcorder.

If you don't care to spent time to convert to DVDs, and don't need the
'best' image quality, a DVD camcorder can do fine here -- once you're
done recording, it's ready to play in any DVD player. but, image
quality will be lower if you edit the MPEG-2 video on this disc and add
stuff like graphics, effects, etc. since MPEG-2 video is of lower
quality than DV. (still, MPEG-2 video is what goes on a DVD, but you
should convert to MPEG-2 at the very last editing step for the highest
image quality)

---

Otherwise, cheap, scour www.fatwallet.com/forums -> hot deals and
www.ebay.com.

eg. Jan/Feb, Sharp VL-Z3u DV camcorders went for ~$150.