DVD with PCM audio problem

Strange. I make a DVD with PCM audio and it stutters and stops in my
computer (any software player I try). It will play just fine in other
computers and set-top players.
Then, I make a DVD with Dolby Digital Audio and it plays fine on my
computer and everywhere else. Why won't my computer play the PCM audio DVD?
I have the latest drivers for everything, a HT P4 3.4ghz with Creative Audigy
ZS2 sound card and ATI X800 video. Top stuff, right? My codecs are current
and I'm running XP SP1. The same as my other computers. Anyone experience
similar?
2 answers Last reply
More about audio problem

    ShawnM wrote:

    > Strange. I make a DVD with PCM audio and it stutters and stops in my
    > computer (any software player I try). It will play just fine in other
    > computers and set-top players.
    > Then, I make a DVD with Dolby Digital Audio and it plays fine on my
    > computer and everywhere else. Why won't my computer play the PCM audio DVD?
    > I have the latest drivers for everything, a HT P4 3.4ghz with Creative Audigy
    > ZS2 sound card and ATI X800 video. Top stuff, right? My codecs are current
    > and I'm running XP SP1. The same as my other computers. Anyone experience
    > similar?

    Hi - I've had the exact same problem for the past few weeks. It all
    started when I re-formatted my C Drive and reloaded XP Pro. I thought
    at first the problem just affected the MPG/DVD utilities I use
    (TMPGEnc) but I later worked out that the MPGs were being transcoded OK
    - they just weren't playing properly. Recently, I started to wonder if
    my Audigy2 was at fault - I'd found that if I remove the soundcard
    drivers, the MPG files played OK - just silently! Various sets of
    drivers, and another soundcard later, I decided maybe that wasn't it
    after all...

    My latest theory is that Media Player isn't equipped to play DVD's or
    DVD compatible MPGs. It's missing some Codecs - see here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/plugins.aspx

    I've just installed a copy of the WinDVD player (Ver 4) from a free CD
    - and things are looking promising: WinDVD works - and it seems to have
    sorted out Windows Media Player (Ver 9).

    Hope this helps...

    WMP will not play dvds on it's own, as it doesn't come with an mpeg2 codec.
    It will play them if you install the codec, this comes from programmes such
    as the one you have installed.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    > My latest theory is that Media Player isn't equipped to play DVD's or
    > DVD compatible MPGs. It's missing some Codecs - see here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/getmore/plugins.aspx
    >
    > I've just installed a copy of the WinDVD player (Ver 4) from a free CD
    > - and things are looking promising: WinDVD works - and it seems to have
    > sorted out Windows Media Player (Ver 9).
    >
    > Hope this helps...

Video DVD Audio Computers Windows XP