Possibly defeat the audio AGC on your Sony or other cam?

Possibly defeat the audio AGC on your Sony???

Has anyone had any luck defeating the audio AGC on Sony Mini-DV and Sony
Digital 8 camcorders?

With the 16bit two channel stereo, there is the potenial for great sound...
what if you split the mic input with a y-adapter?

Say, have a MKE300 shotgun mic feeding the left channel and a constant mid
level tone feeding the right channel, coming from a portable MP3 player.

Would the constant tone on one channel keep the AGC at bay?

Then just take out that unwanted audio channel in your editing program...

Has anyone tried this? Anybody see any flaws in the setup?

Peace,
Vic Morris
http://vicmorris.blogspot.com

Vic Morris <forfuturefilms@aol.com> wrote in message
> Possibly defeat the audio AGC on your Sony???
>
> Has anyone had any luck defeating the audio AGC on Sony Mini-DV and Sony
> Digital 8 camcorders?
> With the 16bit two channel stereo, there is the potenial for great
sound...
> what if you split the mic input with a y-adapter?
> Say, have a MKE300 shotgun mic feeding the left channel and a constant mid
> level tone feeding the right channel, coming from a portable MP3 player.
> Would the constant tone on one channel keep the AGC at bay?
> Then just take out that unwanted audio channel in your editing program...
> Has anyone tried this? Anybody see any flaws in the setup?

Very interesting that you should suggest this.
I've been using a Sony TRV22 for about a year, and have just started
thinking about the sound side in a serious way. When replaying captured
footage in Ulead VS8 I've noticed that the built-in mikes are apparently
balanced at low sound levels, and less so at higher levels, with a few db
tilt towards the RHS. Using a mono-stereo adaptor on the external mike
input shows that the built -in ADCs are exactly in step on both L & R
channels - at all levels.
Why not give it a go - it sounds an excellent idea.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK