How to record to computer from DVD recorder?

I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some irreplaceable
stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell Dimension
8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media 7.
Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I need a
converter of some sort? Please advise!
--
Ellen Henneke
5 answers Last reply

    Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so, it's
    an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as it
    won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some
    >irreplaceable
    > stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell
    > Dimension
    > 8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media 7.
    > Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I
    > need a
    > converter of some sort? Please advise!
    > --
    > Ellen Henneke

    Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is not a
    notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the user's
    guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it seems
    that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my computer.
    Any suggestions anyone?
    --
    Ellen Henneke

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so, it's
    > an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as it
    > won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some
    > >irreplaceable
    > > stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell
    > > Dimension
    > > 8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media 7.
    > > Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I
    > > need a
    > > converter of some sort? Please advise!
    > > --
    > > Ellen Henneke

    What outputs do you have from the recorder?
    What inputs do you have on the pc?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    > Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is not
    > notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the
    > user's
    > guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it
    > seems
    > that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my
    > computer.
    > Any suggestions anyone?
    > --
    > Ellen Henneke
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so,
    >> it's
    >> an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as
    >> it
    >> won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some
    >> >irreplaceable
    >> > stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell
    >> > Dimension
    >> > 8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media
    >> > 7.
    >> > Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I
    >> > need a
    >> > converter of some sort? Please advise!
    >> > --
    >> > Ellen Henneke

    Here are the outputs from my DVD recorder: Composite x 1, S-Video x 1,
    Component x 1, Analog Audio x 1, Digital Audio Optical x 1, RF x 1. As for
    the computer, there are 2 USB 2.0 connectors on the front. On the back, I
    believe (but am not sure) that all the connections on the video card are
    outputs (ATI Radeon X300 card). However, there is an audio input on the
    sound card. Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

    --
    Ellen Henneke

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > What outputs do you have from the recorder?
    > What inputs do you have on the pc?
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is not
    > > notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the
    > > user's
    > > guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it
    > > seems
    > > that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my
    > > computer.
    > > Any suggestions anyone?
    > > --
    > > Ellen Henneke
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so,
    > >> it's
    > >> an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as
    > >> it
    > >> won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    My search of the graphics card doesn't show up any inputs.
    Do you have a camcorder with analogue in?
    If not you will need an analogue to digital converter. Now if you only have
    one job to do this may not be cost effective, as the very cheap are
    generally just that and cause more trouble than they solve, the mid priced
    are ok most of the time and the best are going to be cost prohibitive.
    Check out the dazzle unit from pinnacle www.pinnaclesys.com as a cheaper
    end, canopus do an advc range, www.canopus.com
    You may find borrowing a digital camcorder with analogue inputs a good
    option if you have some friends who have one.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    www.myvideoproblems.co.uk

    > Here are the outputs from my DVD recorder: Composite x 1, S-Video x 1,
    > Component x 1, Analog Audio x 1, Digital Audio Optical x 1, RF x 1. As
    > for
    > the computer, there are 2 USB 2.0 connectors on the front. On the back, I
    > believe (but am not sure) that all the connections on the video card are
    > outputs (ATI Radeon X300 card). However, there is an audio input on the
    > sound card. Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    >

    > --
    > Ellen Henneke
    >

    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> What outputs do you have from the recorder?
    >> What inputs do you have on the pc?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is
    >> > not
    >> > notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the
    >> > user's
    >> > guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it
    >> > seems
    >> > that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my
    >> > computer.
    >> > Any suggestions anyone?
    >> > --

Video DVD Computers Windows XP