How to record to computer from DVD recorder?

August 16, 2005 11:27:01 PM

I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some irreplaceable
stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell Dimension
8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media 7.
Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I need a
converter of some sort? Please advise!
--
Ellen Henneke
Anonymous

Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so, it's
an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as it
won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some
>irreplaceable
> stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell
> Dimension
> 8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media 7.
> Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I
> need a
> converter of some sort? Please advise!
> --
> Ellen Henneke
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:43:01 PM

Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is not a
notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the user's
guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it seems
that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my computer.
Any suggestions anyone?
--
Ellen Henneke

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so, it's
> an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as it
> won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some
> >irreplaceable
> > stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell
> > Dimension
> > 8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media 7.
> > Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I
> > need a
> > converter of some sort? Please advise!
> > --
> > Ellen Henneke

August 18, 2005 3:42:14 PM

What outputs do you have from the recorder?
What inputs do you have on the pc?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is not
> notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the
> user's
> guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it
> seems
> that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my
> computer.
> Any suggestions anyone?
> --
> Ellen Henneke
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so,
>> it's
>> an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as
>> it
>> won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder on which I've recorded some
>> >irreplaceable
>> > stuff on DVD-RAM. I'd like to know how I can get that into my Dell
>> > Dimension
>> > 8400 computer that has XP, Phillips DVD+RW DVD8601 and Roxio Easy Media
>> > 7.
>> > Do I simply need to buy a connector wire? If so, what kind? Or, do I
>> > need a
>> > converter of some sort? Please advise!
>> > --
>> > Ellen Henneke

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:47:03 PM

Here are the outputs from my DVD recorder: Composite x 1, S-Video x 1,
Component x 1, Analog Audio x 1, Digital Audio Optical x 1, RF x 1. As for
the computer, there are 2 USB 2.0 connectors on the front. On the back, I
believe (but am not sure) that all the connections on the video card are
outputs (ATI Radeon X300 card). However, there is an audio input on the
sound card. Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

--
Ellen Henneke

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> What outputs do you have from the recorder?
> What inputs do you have on the pc?
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cari, Thanks for your response. I wish it was that easy. My Dell is not
> > notebook and I don't believe my DVD+RW drive can read DVD-RAM -- the
> > user's
> > guide said it could read DVD-ROM. Is that the same thing? If not, it
> > seems
> > that I must record from my stand-alone Toshiba DVD recorder into my
> > computer.
> > Any suggestions anyone?
> > --
> > Ellen Henneke
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Does your Dell notebook have the capability to read a DVD-RAM? If so,
> >> it's
> >> an easy job to use Disk Copier (Roxio) to make a duplicate of the disk as
> >> it
> >> won't be copy protected if it's your own recordings.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Ellen" <ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:45:35 PM

My search of the graphics card doesn't show up any inputs.
Do you have a camcorder with analogue in?
If not you will need an analogue to digital converter. Now if you only have
one job to do this may not be cost effective, as the very cheap are
generally just that and cause more trouble than they solve, the mid priced
are ok most of the time and the best are going to be cost prohibitive.
Check out the dazzle unit from pinnacle www.pinnaclesys.com as a cheaper
end, canopus do an advc range, www.canopus.com
You may find borrowing a digital camcorder with analogue inputs a good
option if you have some friends who have one.

--
Graham Hughes
www.myvideoproblems.co.uk

!