Opti mouse and CounterStrike prob

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
anyone out there with a microsoft optical mouse blue that plays counterstrike? Ive been bothered by this for a bit but as I play only against bots ( due to [-peep-] net connection) i havent attempted to look for a solution so the question is:

When i play CS using my opti mouse when i zoom all the way in with any sniper rifle the mouse stops responding to slow movements... so i zoom in and if i move the mouse fairly slow the crosshairs dont move... in order to get movement i need to move the mouse pretty fast... this obviously aint suitable for sniping and im just getting pissed off.

It doesnt happen in any other game and i havent checked the mouse behaviour in DoD (so I cant say if its a HL engine prob)

ps it not a "mouse filter" prob or a mouse prob or sensitivity prob and everything works perfect when unzoomed.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
eh? its not that sort of problem.... what im saying is that when zoomed in slow movement of mouse = no movement of crosshairs.

when zoomed out the mouse reacts exactly as it should ie slow mouse movement = corresponding movement of cross hairs...

it has nothing to do with the surface i have my mouse on

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wolfy on 03/30/04 01:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
i humoured u.... apart from a more "smooth" sensation in moving the mouse it doesn't solve the problem... when zoomed in small slow adjustments arent registered

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
figured id try that... just wondered tho if anyone else had the problem

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Does your mouse plug in via USB? If it can plug in via PS/2 plug it in through there and then change the PS/2 Report Rate. Go into the Mouse Properties and under the motion tab there should be a section with advanced featues where you can change the PS/2 Report Rate (this is represented as a slider). Increase the report rate to 100 reps a second or for higher accuracy try 200 reps a second. The higher the reps a second number, the more "stiff" the mouse will feel so you may need to adjust your speed and acceleration settings as appropriate

I used to have Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical and since its malfunction I used a basic wheel mouse and kept the logitech driver software. If Microsoft's default drive does not allow you to adjust the PS/2 Report Rate, try downloading a Logitech driver and fool the driver into thinking that the mouse is a logitech wheel mouse optical (it depends on how many buttons your mouse has, I dont know the Microsoft Mice as well).

I know it sounds ludacris to mix a logitech driver with a microsoft mouse but I have manged to do it successfully and the performance with a logitech driver is so much more accurate. This is especially helpful when I am playing games like hitman 2 and I am tryin to aim with a sniper rifle on full zoom!

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.25ghz, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows Me

Baxter

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2004
Maybe u need to change ur mouse acceleration this might help

Athlon XP 2800+, ASUS A7N8X-X, 512mb PC2700 DDR
128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (430/374)
3D Mark03 Score <font color=red>6,316</font color=red>

meBigGuy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
LOL -- it's suprising how people don't think things out before replying. As if zooming in could be affected by the mouse surface. LOL

Counterstrike has a setting for zoomed in mouse sensitivity. It's expressed as a ratio. I assume you have it set such that acceleration is required to get any movement.

Personally, I'd turn off acceleration in the windows mouse menu (control panel stuff) and set the sensitivity without acceleration (or low acceleration) where you like it for windows, and then go to counterstrike and play with the sensitivity and zoom_sensitivity_ratio.

If you type zoom_sensitivity_ratio and sensitivity in the console, it will tell you what the variables are currently set at.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
ah sweet... someone at last sees what my prob is.... im at work at the moment ill give it a look when i get home. cheers

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
your the one that said it wasnt a sensitivity problem in your first post. guess im the moron that assumed you knew what you were talking about.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
hahaha, your funny arent you. since i was there and saw exactly what was happening and saw that he had not infact messed with the different settings. its called trouble shooting, eliminate possibilities using information provided. you didnt do anything but mouth off about the most obvious thing it could have been even though the guy said he already did it.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Calm down ppl. we're all friends here. anyway problem solved. Apologies to mr higgs as I never knew there was a zoom_sensitivity_ratio setting.... either way turning that up solved the prob.

meBigGuy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
lol --- mr higgs has a self esteem problem and needs to get abusive/sarcastic/toxic when he feels slighted/wrong/different, or disagrees. It seems to be a pretty consistant pattern, and I seem to annoy him which is no end of entertainment for me. Let's see what he sputters on about next.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
to no end huh, thats pretty sad, kindof flattering really, how your life seems to revolve around little old me. anything to escape the memories of your father beating you as a child huh?

Baxter

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2004
i think he still gets beaten

Athlon XP 2800+, ASUS A7N8X-X, 512mb PC2700 DDR
128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (430/385)
3D Mark03 Score <font color=red>6,316</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
it took you 3 days to come up with that? whats that? you dont read here often? how can that be, since i am apparantly your best source of entertainment as of late. lets recap here, you were abused as a child, you have no taste when it comes to entertainment (even i know im not THAT entertaining), your a computer moron and you dont even realise what a douche you look like! rofl.

Awww... poor guy has erectile disfunction. No wonder he's so cranky. Give him a break, jihiggs.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>