Win 95 limitations

G

Sorry if this is an old question, but I searched the board and couldn't find any posts about this.

I am planning on upgrading my motherboard and CPU, from socket 7, Cyrix to a new Socket A (probably Ali MagiK) and AMD Duron (and higher later). My question is how will my Win 95 OSR II cope? What is the max processor speed that it will like (i've already heard about the 512Mb memory limit) and will using DDR memory cause a problem?

I don't really want to upgrade my OS until I have to (the fewer things I upgrade at a time, the fewer problems I will have!) but I'm not sure that my current one will work properly.

Thanks all!

Christopher

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
As long as the motherboard itself has Win '95 driver support, there should be no problem.

The 512mb limit applies to all Win 9x versions.

I don't think you need worry about cpu speed limitations. the only problem with speed that I recall, only applied to AMD K6-2 chips, there was a patch to fix it anyway.

I may be wrong, but if I am, someone is bound to correct me!

G

Thanks, thats good to know.

One other check is about the use of AGP ports. to what level do the various Windows support to? Or is that the same, down to the board Bios and drivers?

Thanks all!

Christopher

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Motherboard and graphics card support is all that matters with Win '95 using AGP.

I recommend using Win 98SE though (or Me), especially as Microsoft will no longer support '95.