Sony AC-3 surround 5.1encode

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I have found the level of a Sony AC-3 surround 5.1 encode is low volume
level. About half compared to levels of other material in general.
No matter what the level of input, the output doesn't change.

There must be something I don't know yet.

I've looked at the Sonic Scenarist encoder too requiring wave file inputs.
Same is happening there too. But I need to play some more.

I looked at BeSweet to try to increase level but odd things happened there.

The ac-3 files import to Adobe Encore ok to make a video DVD but compared to
ensuing mpeg files on the disc, ac-3 is unbearably low.

Is there a solution?

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:15:50 +1000, "Freddo" <homealone@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have found the level of a Sony AC-3 surround 5.1 encode is low volume
>level. About half compared to levels of other material in general.
>No matter what the level of input, the output doesn't change.

Have you tried these AC3 settings?

Dialog normalization: -31 dB.
Dynamic range compression: None.

That's the way to avoid a lower volume after converting the audio
to AC3, but I've only tried it with AC3 2.0, not surround 5.1.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thank for your advice. Yes, I think you are correct but my problem now is
that the custom button in Render As ac-3 does not work to get to those
settings. So when I get that working, it should be fine.
I may have a problem with my serial registration number unless there is some
way internally to get the button working.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:38:09 +1000, "Freddo" <homealone@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Thank for your advice. Yes, I think you are correct but my problem now is
>that the custom button in Render As ac-3 does not work to get to those
>settings. So when I get that working, it should be fine.

Locate this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Media Software\AC-3 Encoder\1.0\License

Delete the "key1" entry. The custom button should work now.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

What a genius you are!
I actually found the key 1 in Sonic Foundry.
Well done sir, amazing.