video and music plays faster than normal

I have a laptop that is running Windows XP and when I try to play any mp3 or
avi file the audio or audio & video plays at about 1.5x speed. I have updated
the drivers for the video card and that didn't work. I am stumped and out of
money so I can't take it to somebody and have them check it out. If you
suggest updating the audio driver, how do I find out what card I have and
what do I do if the updated driver doesn't show up on Windows Update?

Thanks!

All drivers for laptops should only be downloaded from the laptop
manufacturer.
This sounds like a codec problem though, and means checking you have the
correct codecs installed to play the items properly.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media