higher quality mpeg2

I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.
I am a real newbee at SVCD making, but i've converted a few videos
from VHS tapes in the past month. The quality was not that good, so i
am wondering how i could enhance things. Is this Mpeg2 PS the way to
go, or is there another software title that will do this? Is getting
a DVD burner the best way to go, or can SVCD's look pretty good, too?

thanks in advance for any help!

On 7/19/2004 3:17:27 AM, Rick C. wrote:

> I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
> different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
> software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
> high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
> per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.

I'm confused. Why would you assume a program that is 6x faster at
conversion be creating a super high quality conversion?
--
"I wrote a song, but I can't read music so I don't know what it is.
Every once in a while I'll be listening to the radio and I say, 'I think

Now playing: "04 - Anyone's Daughter"

Tarkus <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote in message news:<v7sk358ybckq.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>...
> On 7/19/2004 3:17:27 AM, Rick C. wrote:
>
> > I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
> > different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
> > software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
> > high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
> > per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.
>
> I'm confused. Why would you assume a program that is 6x faster at
> conversion be creating a super high quality conversion?

Well, I'm new at this stuff. Maybe i worded the question wrong, or
maybe it was the wrong question to ask. I am just trying to get a
better quality svcd than what i've been getting. Are there ways of
doing this?

On 7/20/2004 1:48:50 AM, Rick C. wrote:

> Tarkus <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote in message news:<v7sk358ybckq.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>...
>> On 7/19/2004 3:17:27 AM, Rick C. wrote:
>>
>>> I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
>>> different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
>>> software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
>>> high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
>>> per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.
>>
>> I'm confused. Why would you assume a program that is 6x faster at
>> conversion be creating a super high quality conversion?
>
> Well, I'm new at this stuff.

Well, generally (though not always), you sacrifice quality for speed and
vice versa. If something is that fast, my first instinct would be that
it's probably taking some shortcuts and not producing the quality that
slower programs do. Quality conversions take time.

Disclaimer: I know nothing of TRex.
--
Why do they call them "apartments" when they are all stuck together?

Now playing: the radio

On 20 Jul 2004 01:48:50 -0700, snafu1@yahoo.com (Rick C.) wrote:

>Tarkus <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote in message news:<v7sk358ybckq.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>...
>> On 7/19/2004 3:17:27 AM, Rick C. wrote:
>>
>> > I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
>> > different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
>> > software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
>> > high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
>> > per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.
>>
>> I'm confused. Why would you assume a program that is 6x faster at
>> conversion be creating a super high quality conversion?
>
>Well, I'm new at this stuff. Maybe i worded the question wrong, or
>maybe it was the wrong question to ask. I am just trying to get a
>better quality svcd than what i've been getting. Are there ways of
>doing this?

There are. And 2 parts to it. First, if the material is not of the
best quality, one can enhance it with digital image processing,
specially denoising. Usually, one uses VirtualDub filters to perform
this. The skillful use of these can render astounding improvements.
The second part has to do with the encoding, and here the good use of
the software can also mean a lot. I encode with Tmpgenc, which is very
configurable, and there are a lot of things you can attune for a
better result. There are many guides on the Internet that can teach
you how to use it. The better the quality, the slower the encoding,
though -much slower, even.

BTW, I have little experience with SVCD, but I believe it would be
difficult to get good quality with SVCD, because of the low bitrate
for a relatively high resolution -even VCD has better bits/pixel
ratio.

Tarkus <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote in message news:<v7sk358ybckq.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>...
> On 7/19/2004 3:17:27 AM, Rick C. wrote:
>
> > I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
> > different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
> > software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
> > high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
> > per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.
>
> I'm confused. Why would you assume a program that is 6x faster at
> conversion be creating a super high quality conversion?

I think he means the data rate of the final video file is 6megs per
second, and I assume he means mega bits not Mega Bytes.

Dylan

On 19 Jul 2004 03:17:27 -0700, snafu1@yahoo.com (Rick C.) wrote:

>I have some software made by Pinnacle called TRex. It converts
>different video formats. Well, somehow i got an option in the
>software that i can convert to MPEG2 PS. I assume this is a super
>high quality mpeg2, since it records the file at about 6 megs in size
>per second, compared to others that record at about 1 meg per second.
>I am a real newbee at SVCD making, but i've converted a few videos
>from VHS tapes in the past month. The quality was not that good, so i
>am wondering how i could enhance things. Is this Mpeg2 PS the way to
>go, or is there another software title that will do this? Is getting
>a DVD burner the best way to go, or can SVCD's look pretty good, too?

Mpeg2 PS only means you get audio and video in one file.
6000 kbps is the "standard" data rate for DVD, but it's possible to
use up to 9800. However, the quality you get depends on the encoder
used and the source you encode.
So you may as well get good results below 3000 kbps or bad ones at
6000.
I can't tell about Trex' quality at all, but I recomment to get trial
versions of other encoders to compare. Cinemacraft Basic (I use that)
or TMPGenc, for example.
http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/download.html#tool
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html

Cheers