How to achieve Pan & Scan effects ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 19, 2004 3:53:14 PM

I'm trying to achieve the Pan & Scan effects many
professionals use to display still pictures, as the ones seen in
History Channel and Discovery documentaries. I have heard
that they can be produced with Premiere, does anybody know how?

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 10:59:29 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:53:14 -0700, "Paul" <paul11177XX@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm trying to achieve the Pan & Scan effects many
>professionals use to display still pictures, as the ones seen in
>History Channel and Discovery documentaries. I have heard
>that they can be produced with Premiere, does anybody know how?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Paul

Never used Premier, but this product does a very good job and is
relatively inexpensive:

http://www.picturetotv.com

A more robust product would be Imaginate by Canopus.

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/Imaginate2/pm_imagina...

Rich M.
July 20, 2004 5:56:40 PM

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:53:14 -0700, "Paul" <paul11177XX@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to achieve the Pan & Scan effects many
> >professionals use to display still pictures, as the ones seen in
> >History Channel and Discovery documentaries. I have heard
> >that they can be produced with Premiere, does anybody know how?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >Paul

Use the "Motion" settings to produce the effect you want.
July 20, 2004 11:07:05 PM

Here is a demo of one I did using Imaginate and Photoshop. I left the tag
"Imaginate" in the window, to show where it came from. I used pictures from
Gettysburg placed on a made in Photoshop "film strip, over a made in
Photoshop "piece of paper". Give it a look.

http://www.superexoticar.com/images/Gettysburg_2a.wmv

rqo

"Paul" <paul11177XX@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to achieve the Pan & Scan effects many
> professionals use to display still pictures, as the ones seen in
> History Channel and Discovery documentaries. I have heard
> that they can be produced with Premiere, does anybody know how?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Paul

July 21, 2004 7:10:37 PM

Very nice rqo! I'm impressed.
Thanks a lot for your help, and for sharing your beautiful work.

Just a few hours after I posted my question, I figured out how to
do it going through the Effect Control, and then Motion effects in
Premiere Pro. Someone in the Adobe newsgroup later pointed
me to the Wrigley Video Productions Tutorials site, which I found
very useful.
Here: http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_ppro_p...

I'll try to find the Imaginate software you told me about, to
later experience with the Photoshop CS I already have installed, as
I like the film strip effect too.

I'm sure that with a little time for self training I'm going to
achieve the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks again,
Paul

>"rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Here is a demo of one I did using Imaginate and Photoshop. I left the tag
> "Imaginate" in the window, to show where it came from. I used pictures
> from
> Gettysburg placed on a made in Photoshop "film strip, over a made in
> Photoshop "piece of paper". Give it a look.
>
> http://www.superexoticar.com/images/Gettysburg_2a.wmv
>

> rqo
>

> "Paul" <paul11177XX@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to achieve the Pan & Scan effects many
>> professionals use to display still pictures, as the ones seen in
>> History Channel and Discovery documentaries. I have heard
>> that they can be produced with Premiere, does anybody know how?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Paul

July 21, 2004 7:22:25 PM

Thanks to Tony and Richard M for your help.
I'm going to check the Imaginate and Picture to TV
software you point me to Richard, thanks.

!